Pod Your Reef

Russian Boys BC29

RussianBoy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank is looking good. How are you liking the light upgrade. I have a BC29 I am thinking of upgrading to this as well. Check it out, Dereks BC29 Build. Tank looks GREAT!!!!

Tank is looking good. How are you liking the light upgrade. I have a BC29 I am thinking of upgrading to this as well. Check it out, Dereks BC29 Build. Tank looks GREAT!!!!

sure, i love the light upgrade, so nice in the tank and the R2 moonlights are worth the money, makes night life amazing in the tank. I hope you check tomorrow or the next day, gotta do some more work on the tank tomorrow, really been putting a lot of time into it. The only thing I have a small issue with now is my algae, I don't have any really bad types, but just carpet stuff, instead of nice purple on my back wall it's maroon and green and white and purple... lol but I think that is from the phyto feast I was using for awhile.

My home done mod, I took out the halogen lamps in my tank because of temperature, so now I have a power compact, 13w with the black scraped off the back of the tank, and a little industrial velcro and tada... cheato light....

New whole tank shot... only thing I have not finished with is adding more LR to raise the back section of my coral mountain cave :) I will post another when I get the rest of the LR, next paycheck I hope.

Awesome i fricken love the scape!

Get some side shots and top down please!

New photos, sorry most of the corals are closed up cause I had just finished scaping the new rocks...

Wicked, love the new scape, lots of room for coral placement :)

Wicked, love the new scape, lots of room for coral placement :)

thanks, I know, I thought I just had it down, with what corals I wanted now I have all this new space O.O oh dear.. almost every time I go to my LFS i spend about 200$ so I have a feeling before I know it I wil have to expand my collection more... but got to have the funds to do that... today was 178$ for everything that I got, had to get some maintenance stuff too, but really not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks pretty nice, I wish I could get coraline growth like that :) As for the blue in the pictures, does your camera have a white balance adjustment? You might try some different settings (daylight, tungstan, etc) to see if it filters out some of the blueness. I can't tell you which will work, I don't get much blue off of the mh lights.

Looks pretty nice, I wish I could get coraline growth like that :) As for the blue in the pictures, does your camera have a white balance adjustment? You might try some different settings (daylight, tungstan, etc) to see if it filters out some of the blueness. I can't tell you which will work, I don't get much blue off of the mh lights.

I keep the calcium a little high and dose iodide, (aquavitro line from seachem, which I love cause I use their "fuel" too and my corals LOVE it...) about the blue I actually was playing with them, but my cam is like 3.1mp from like 5 years ago... it doesn't do much at all....I like your tank as well, I like your scape, your ATO is cool as well.

Very nice rock work. What type of substrate did you use?

mighty good question, it was there when I got the tank, I bought it off a women who never took care of it, was so messed up, they never cleaned the substrate, so I RO rinsed the substrate till it was clean, I mean the water was so brown it was almost black, then I finally got it clean enough. I love my tank, still have nitrates though everything else is 0... nitrates about 10-20 and have never been able to make them lower, also I vacuumed the sand yesterday and my phosphates shot up... real fast.... dunno what I did beside that, everything else is fine, but I just got my emergency stash of Phos-guard out.

Love the tank! Nice rocks

thanks, took me forever to get it to scape in a cave which people will advise against but my stock loves it...

Now I must figure out how to clean the back chambers a little, I really think the crap back there with no CUC in it is making my nitrates never go down to 0, there is all this brown, nasty who knows what all over the walls inside chamber one and 3 and I know there is a bunch of crap on the bottom of chamber one... anyone know how to clean these out some without blowing crap all over your DT?

All clean, a bit of work, scraping, and siphoning and my back chambers are detritus free... woooo hope this helps with things. I did notice some small red feather dusters growing on the sides of chamber one, so I let them live... cause feather dusters are cool ^_^

BogataTRACKER

Is the Mag Float you’re using anything special? Which do you recommend? When I first got the BC29 I thought it was acrylic. But its glass right? Last time I went to the supplier I read all over the BC 29 box and I couldn’t find any details on it.

Your setup looks great.

Thanks, Steve

Is the Mag Float you’re using anything special? Which do you recommend? When I first got the BC29 I thought it was acrylic. But its glass right? Last time I went to the supplier I read all over the BC 29 box and I couldn’t find any details on it.

Your setup looks great.

Thanks, Steve

I took out my mag float and ditched it, problem was if you went anywhere near the sandbed some would get caught in the float and scratch the glass real easy, now I decided that I would buy a glass scraper, its just a simple piece of metal on plastic and you can get a handle for it, however I don't use a handle, just stick my hand in when I do water changes and scrape down the glass, it works well for the rounded corners of our BC29's, mag floats cant get those corners....

mighty good question, it was there when I got the tank, I bought it off a women who never took care of it, was so messed up, they never cleaned the substrate, so I RO rinsed the substrate till it was clean, I mean the water was so brown it was almost black, then I finally got it clean enough. I love my tank, still have nitrates though everything else is 0... nitrates about 10-20 and have never been able to make them lower, also I vacuumed the sand yesterday and my phosphates shot up... real fast.... dunno what I did beside that, everything else is fine, but I just got my emergency stash of Phos-guard out.

thanks, took me forever to get it to scape in a cave which people will advise against but my stock loves it...

Your phosphates spiked because you disturbed the sand bed.

Phosphate removers only deal with what's in the water column.

Your phosphates spiked because you disturbed the sand bed.

Phosphate removers only deal with what's in the water column.

don't know if I will ever really get the nitrates to 0, maybe if I replace my purigen and chemi-pure elite even though it's only 3 months old?

don't know if I will ever really get the nitrates to 0, maybe if I replace my purigen and chemi-pure elite even though it's only 3 months old?

think I am going to add the aquaticlife mini protien skimmer 115, fits in chamber one which it good for me since the rest of the chambers are already used.... anyone use this, or have feedback with it? StevieT is selling it on his website now, also I went and modified one of StevieT's shelves to raise the height of the filter floss in the media basket so I could keep the water level higher for my cheato that is in chamber two as well....This is a picture of my little creation, a InTank shelf, dremel and some glue.... it works perfect lol.....

think I am going to add the aquaticlife mini protien skimmer 115, fits in chamber one which it good for me since the rest of the chambers are already used.... anyone use this, or have feedback with it? StevieT is selling it on his website now, also I went and modified one of StevieT's shelves to raise the height of the filter floss in the media basket so I could keep the water level higher for my cheato that is in chamber two as well....This is a picture of my little creation, a InTank shelf, dremel and some glue.... it works perfect lol.....

bump

New FTS, reworked my scape because I could not get my hand around the rocks to scrape the glass before and would hit my corals when I tried, so with a little reworking, I have more ground space and height. I also got some new corals, but you can't really see them in the pic, got a lobo in the front on the ground, favia with a big feather duster so I had to be real careful on taking it off the plug and how I glued it not to hurt it, then a small chalice... not bad for 50$.... I had to put my phos-guard in because when I moved all the stuff around it made the phosphates jump... but the phos-guard will chew that up no prob.... tell me what you think since I am a little self conscious about my tank lol

Archived