Top Shelf Aquatics

Clams in a nano?

junglejim83

junglejim83

I've seen a few post of people w/ clams in their nano's. I have 2 32w pc(one 10000k and one actinic) and a 15w NO actinic on my 10 g. Would this be enough to keep a clam. If so what else would i need to keep it healthy. Also, if its possible but really hard let me know, b/c i wont do it then.

Jim

i think 2x 55W Pc would be better..but again what do i know...with baby clams (maximas, Crocea, Squomosa) you will have to feed them on a regular bases, they are not like the larger clams where they will use light as a source of food. I feed both my Maxima and Squomosa clams DTs EVERYDAY! I just squirt alittle in their mouth...and also turn off the currents while your are feeding them. They are both growing like mad..so i assume they are happy//...

althoug it prob coulkd be done i dont thing it would be a good idea....your lighting is low and u need good water quality....i think clams should be left for the larger tanks.....JMO

OMG! here we go witht he bigger tank thing again...how about jsut leave them in the OCEAN then..since theyw ill be happier there..hahahhaha

I believe..hmm...there is a thread int he member' nano section with him keeping numerous clams in his 10 gallon...but of course..he has HQI lightings...but still...

Another good idea is to place the tank near a window that gets good hours of sunlight during the day time..that will work also...I like my Squomosa..but i LOVE my Maxima...Croceas don't ever do well with me...

Another thing...if your tank have 0 nitrate..it would not be good..i try to keep my Nitrate around 10-20..because they will need it..and also high calcium and iodine levels are prefered...but again..most corals loves higher levels of I and Ca....

I have my maxima for over 2 months in my 40 gallon under 2 x 96 PC and the mornign direct sunlights and its doing great..and my Squomosa doesn't get as much sunlight but he is on the top f the LR so he gets more lights fromt he PC and i had him for 1 month...theya re both widely opened and happy...

the squamosa is a good clam for a nano, especially if you get a good color but we all love the blues and greens of the maxima & crocea.

i had a maxima do fine (and grow) under csl sealights (27w & 13w). right now i'm trying a crocea in my present nano under csl's 2x32w. it was supposed to be a maxima but jeff's exotic messed up the order.

so i think you can handle clams with the lighting you have. livestock and calcium levels are also things to consider though.

anthony... Croceas don't ever do well with you? Does this mean that you have tried a few and it didn't work out?

tinyreef, you had a maxima do fine? Does this mean you no longer have it or what?

anthony812

i just feel that they would have a much better chance in a larger tank with more water volume to filter feed and what not....i am not denying the fact that a could be done but i feel the odds are in the favor of a larger system.......

oscarbeast,

yeah, i had a maxima in my previous nano. a lot of the people already heard the story but here it is.

i had the maxima for about six months. when i was out with an illness for five days the water level dropped about five inches and the tank became hypo-salinized. ??? almost everything crashed, one clown, one anenome, yellow polyps, and the maxima :*( . i had some green polyps disintegrate but i finally nursed the colony back to health and transplanted a propagated daughter colony into the new nano. :happy:

i now have a semi-automatic topoff (iv drip) for long weekends. i'll put up a new pic when i get my digital camera back.

Everythings odds are in favor of a larger system The Unit.

I think clams can definetly be kept in a nano(thats why I bought a crocea yesterday), if the lighting and water quality is good enough.

junglejim83

Thanks for the replies everyone...here's another question(or few). I'm not worried about water quality, i have an auto top off and 30lbs+ of lr but If i do decide to get one what do i feed them? Also, it seems that the young ones need to be fed daily, since i am going to college and will be competeing in sports i will be gone for a couple of days at a time everyfew weeks, and occasioanlly a week on break is there a way i can keep it fed to some extent or does this rule them out.

Jim

NanoReefer53

they luv nitrates, that what gives em powa ! :P just don't overload on fishes for this though.

People usually feed they DT's. Just fill a small tub of tank water and DT's and put the clam in there for 10 minutes or so. It'll eat its fill then put it back in the tank and discard the dirty tub water.

Yup, nanoreefer53's got it down! I have, da powa! lol. Sorry about that. Anyways, just add enough dt's to make the water a little green, not too much. Also be careful not to feed too much dt's so their gills get clogged, then they could die. This you especially need to be careful of with croceas. I feed direct into my tank, less than what is recommended on the bottle.

i have had a healthy maxima in my 7 gallon for about 3 months now. i have 2x32w csl smartlight. i feed the tank a capful of dt's every other day. i have alot of other filter feeders too so i want to make sure they get enough. my maxima isnt the blue variety though (its more of a grayish brown). the brown maximas require less light than the blue ones.

Nanoreefer makes a good point...that is why i have my nitrates up in the 10-20 range...and they seem to be thriving off it also...you can tell if your clam is healthy and growing by looking at the growth of heir new while shell...just make sure your calcium level is ~400-450ppm and a decent Iodine level also...I use the SeaLab No28 Cubes in my sump at all time to repace any of the trace elements taht is used up by the corals..i will occassionally add calcium and iodine by Kent as supplements. One more thing..the clams don't like high current water flows, so keep them low on your sandbed or on a sterdy rock where there is less waterflow, they will pump and move themselves sometimes so you have to watch out.

BTW, is there anyone else that uses the SeaLab No 28 trace element cube? it is a wonderful product if you don't really have a lot of time adding and keeping track of your trace elements for your tank, i mean, if you have a 7 gallon and change 1-2 gallons weekly, then i don't see the problem, but if you have a 20 or above, then i believe its better, because a 2 gallon water change in a 7 is better then a 4-5 gallon water change in a 20.

OH and one last VERY important thing..i believe the reason why i lost my crocea clam before is my water temperature, i had my water at 82-85 degrees before i started using a fan that blows directly in my sump...the clams are really sensitive on high temperatures, they need to be in 75-78 degree water. So be sure to add a fan or something that will cool down your tank temperature.

I am going to try to built my own chiller when i set up the 55 gallon..i am thinking about buying a small cube refrigerater and install it in my stand with a canaster filter without media inside and drill bothsides of the frig. so tubings can go in and seal the holes with syilicon. i believe that is the most inexpensive way to do a chiller...just buy an energy efficient frig..hahhaha

One thing i am worried about is i might over cool the tank..but again..that is why there is a heater...^_^

I have seem a small frig cost around $35, and buy am used canaster filter $20-$30...that is a instant $60 chiller...and IMO, its way more effective then those $300 chillers but of course..it takes up more space.

ok..i am getting off subjext here..sorry guys/gals

Nishant3789

wont removing the clam everytime u want to feed him harm the "foot"??? thats what cjm was gonna do for a flame scallop, but alot of people reccomended otherwise. jw,

nishant

moving a clam will only tear the Byssal gland if it has attached firmly, sometimes you cam jiggle your clam (wow that sounds naughty)jiggle your clam hee hee hee

and the clam will withdraw the byssal so you can take him/her out and feed it. IMO the acryllic tube works better and is less stressfull for your clammy buddy.

HTH,

Toy

Nanoreefer53, how in the heck do you get your clam into a pan??? All my clams have literally attached themselves to my rock! I don't recommend moving them at all!

Mike

Archived