ReefCleaners.org

SPS... my precious... in a 30g

danano

Where did you get your live rock? From LFS or internet? I will have to order off the internet since I have poor quality LFS around my area. If you did order off internet where from and how was quality when received?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dawn, I got the LR from LFS. The Fiji and Vanuatu variety are generally coralline encrusted and come in interesting shapes and sizes. I only buy cured LR. Sounds like your best bet is to source for quality LR off the Internet.

How did you acclimate that marble/mosaic starfish? Please be very specific, how long have you had it, do you feed it, if so what. How long did you have your tank running before it was added. I did not have success with mine, so was just wondering how you did it. Thanks, great looking tank

Quandary, I've had the fromia starfish for 3 months now. Tank was about 9 months when it was introduced. It feeds by grazing all over the tank/LR/gravel/etc.

I first acclimated it by gradually mixing water from my tank in the bag it was packed in over a span of 2 hours. Thereafter, I rested it on the gravel, partly leaning it against the glass. After a 2-3 days, it was roaming the reef!

Acclimitization is crucial as this species is susceptible to osmotic shock. It's important that the LFS does this as well.

Thanks for the compliment! ;)

Dan

Thanks alot, my tank specs were perfect but my acclimation I see now from starting a thread on it was not even close. I did a 45 min float, 1/2 cup 15 min for three turns and released. The starfish roamed all over the 1st day and then by the third day it was dead. Checked my water still perfect.

I don't know how the lfs acclimated theirs, they been in sw for 15+years, roozens, I did notice a tear on one of the arms right at the base near the disc. I love those starfish alot but did not want to kill another and waste $24 again until I gather info. I got flamed by one person for having it in a nano to begin with when I was trying to figure out what went wrong, it must have been the acclimation. It took me 45 min to get it home too, don't know how much that effected it though.

Thanks again for your input, your tank is nicely done. I am letting mine set for now since the starfish died, just got hermits, snails, blue knuckle in there for the moment. At the end of the month I will start to stock with some corals and shrimp. As for a starfish, well maybe a few months down the road I will give it a try again.

later

Thanks Slylie, Nanocat... I find reefing very challenging and extremely rewarding (watching the corals grow and color-up)... it's been quite a journey the past 18 months.;)

Originally posted by danano

Thanks Slylie, Nanocat... I find reefing very challenging and extremely rewarding (watching the corals grow and color-up)... it's been quite a journey the past 18 months.;)

thanks for postiing the pics1!!

i wish we had corals that brightly colored in canada...

ive never seen a starfish like that one.. its really cool!

• 2 months later...

Danano, I have acquired a 2 x 2 x 1 , 30 gallon tank. I expect my tank to have depth similar to yours.... shopping list being assembled currently.... :

Originally posted by birdman204

Danano,  I have acquired a 2 x 2 x 1  ,  30 gallon tank.  I expect my tank to have depth similar to yours....  shopping list being assembled currently.... :

Sounds good! Do keep us posted as it develops.;)

ninhsavestheday

danano, i have a 24"W - 18"L - 14"H tank. Its almost the same but just a little shallower than yours. i was considering MH but after seeing yours im now considering T5s. Have some questions..

Why did you choose T5s over MH?

Hows the intensity of T5 compared to MHs?

Where did you get your T5s?

How much what would recommend for my tank?

THANKS!,

ninh

WHAT THE HELL ARE U DOIN IN SIGNAPORE.....WE NEED U HERE IN THE STATES MAN:D ....SHIP CENTRAL.....2 WORDS......

......SPS BALLA.....

Originally posted by ninhsavestheday

Have some questions..

Why did you choose T5s over MH?  

Hows the intensity of T5 compared to MHs?

Where did you get your T5s?

How much what would recommend for my tank?

THANKS!,

ninh

Firstly, T5s run much cooler than MH. T5s are even cooler than PCs.

I find the intensity comparable to MH only up to a certain depth. For light demanding corals, place them no more than 12" from the surface, ideally. I think you'll do just fine with your 14"H tank.

I got my ATI T5s from a local online retailer. I believe the ATI bulb's are available in the US but not the retrofit/fixture. You could probably DIY a hood.

Depending on your LS... if predominantly sps, I would go for 6x T5s. That's what I'm using currently... all ATI Aquablue Special. Started out with just 4 bulbs and gradually upped it to 6... to provide the "best" for my precious.:) For a bluer tinge, you could replace one or two of the bulbs with the ATI Blue Plus.

Originally posted by Korbin

I have one thing to say about all your pictures.

"I hate you."

;)

... well, Korbin, you might hate me even more after I post some new pics. Anyway, glad you like 'em... I think :P! :D

Archived