Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

mangrove palidarium : )

Reefer Al

I would like to announce that I'm constructing a mangrove biotope!

I have never created a biotope system before, and I would love advice along the way! I'm starting this thread to document the tank build and show some people what cool things can be made inexpensively

Ill start uploading pics of the build tonight!

Its a 20L tank and will hopefully house a couple of mudskippers and a couple of crabs.

animalmaster6

There are have been a lot of builds lately that are going to be awesome, yours is one of them!!!

I can't wait to see this!

Thanks, deep! I actually checked out this link recently because you posted it on another thread. I got some work done on the tank and I'm gonna post the step by step info on how i like to build tanks. hopefully it'll help somebody, or somebody will help me!

Very cool. Great tips. I just brought some mangrove seeds back from the beach last weekend. They already had roots growing. I don't have the light setup in the sump yet, so I just put them in the overflow for now. They get decent light and bob at the right height in the water. We'll see... ;)

floridian reefer

do you have to float mangroves or can you just push them into the sand where you want them to root?

If you want the arching roots that mangroves are known for you have to float them and keep raising them. If you don't care about that you can just plant them.

Wow, thanks for the vivarium link, kazooie! I didn't realize that the reptile/amphibian side of the hobby would have made so many tanks like the one I'm planning. That forum will be very helpful in the construction and design aspects of the build.

Uhuru... Thanks for mentioning that info. I want my mangroves to have the tall exposed roots and I never even considered how that naturally happens.

I got some work done on the tank today and have taken pictures along the way. I'll upload them soon....

Very cool. It's been a long term goal of mine to have a mangrove tank set-up attached as a filtration system with my main set-up.

Have you researched/picked out what crabs with be most beneficial in such a set-up?

I think Im going to get my mudskippers from my lfs, although I haven't done very much research on exactly which species would be ideal.

I also have no idea exactly which crab species would live happily in my setup. I'm hoping for some type of fiddler crab if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived