SaltCritters.com

Lighting Recommendation on a 20L

bobbo

Hi guys I need some help on lighting for my 20G long.

I started off considering 2x65 CSL however most people here recommned MH.

I talked to 2 local fish stores and they say a MH will cook my tank and even the 2x65 might be a little overkill for a 20. I want something that sits on the top of the tank with legs instead of a canopy. Will this burn my tank?

Thanks in advance.

LFS doesnt know what they are talking about. Check last month's TOTM, it's a 20L with 2x175watt halides. Now that's alot! You can go with the 2x65watt, but if you ever want to have high light SPS or clams, you will want to go halide. A 150wattDE halide would do well on that tank if matched up with a 65wattPC actinic.

I have been testing my new 250W DE over my 20L, the temp seems to be okay but I still have it 12" from the top of the tank. My apartment isn't air conditioned so summer could be a different matter....

MrKrispy,

So you don't feel like the 250 on the 20 long is too much. I am currently debating between a 175 or a 250. I have got a few questions:

How long have you had it on there?

How are your corals responding?

How's each end of your tank look? Is it real dark or noticeable?

Thanks,

Chris

I don't even have the corals in yet, I am breaking the light in over a tank with some cycled rock. I wanted to give the coralline a acclimation jumpstart, heh. I have only been running the light for about 2 weeks, I won't be running the tank with everything in it until my custom stand is finished, probably another week. I can say the light easily reaches the ends of the tank, enough for zoos and rics and stuff. Corals higher in the tank would be fine. I am trying to get some pics up later this week.

I went with the 250 so I could run DE bulbs. I am using the PFO mini pendant with a 20k Coralvue bulb. Oh, I have the pendant perpendicular to the tank.

Reefer_Buddha
Originally posted by bobbo

they say a MH will cook my tank and even the 2x65 might be a little overkill for a 20.

hahahahaha. again with the lfs idiocy. listen to wetworx, the godfather of lighting. MH wont cook your tank and 2x65w is barely scratching the surface of good lighting on a 20L I have 140w of halide on mine and its doin just fine.

I have a 4- 65w pc for my 20 long, Its not set up yet but i think it will do till I start setting up the bigger tank. The other setup wil be halides.

I have a single 250 MH over my 20L. 10 inches over the tank.

In the summer I use a clip on fan to keep the temp down, keeps it at about 80-81 in my basement which is not air conditioned. Just something to consider for your lighting choice.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 175 HQI 10K w/ 2x55w PC Actinic over my 10gal and I don't think it is enough. I am currently converting to a 20L and will probably go with 2 x 250 HQI 20K. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

hahahahaha. again with the lfs idiocy. listen to wetworx, the godfather of lighting. MH wont cook your tank and 2x65w is barely scratching the surface of good lighting on a 20L I have 140w of halide on mine and its doin just fine.

Hey, that reminds me. You got any in tank pics of that DIY setup yet?

I'm in the process of doing about the same thing and was wondering what it looks like...

My DIY light holder's going to be made out of 1/8" diamond plate AL. I'll post pics when I'm done with it.

Mike

Reefer_Buddha

mike, i got rid of that and im gona just go ahead and modify a CSL 30" with a 70w halide + the 2x65w pcs in it or take 1 pc out and put in 2 halides. That worklight was just too much of a pain to deal with.

Hey Travis, is there enough room in a CSL to put a MH in it? I've got an Aqualight over my 20l, and I don't think there's anough room to cram a MH in it. I'll have to look when I get home.

Reefer_Buddha

yep, sure is. Just look at KrakerG's thread on it in the DIY sections. If you just move the pcs apart a little you can fit a halide right in there

Sweet. Then I could cook right on top if the light! Nothing like waking to the smell of crackling bacon after the timer turns the lights on in the morning! ;)

lol. I agree. IM running a 175 MH over my 20 high "INSIDE" my standard size canopy. I did however drilled two 3.5 inch holes on the sides and installed some fans. The fans do an awesome job if dissipating the heat. I will post some pics of the DIY canopy setup later on.

Also, I will be posting up a site pretty soon to sell some of these wonderful variable speed fans.

Reefer_Buddha

id have to see inside it to tell you yes or no. Maybe just take out one pc and see what you have. One reason why i dont like coralife, their hoods.

Archived