SlowGoing - 29G Biocube ♣ Contest Tank ♣

SlowGoing

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
marinebiologist

:o they really screwed you over!

but the tank looks good so far (:

hope everything works out well for you. good luck!

Your tank looks really nice. I am not to far from you and shop at those stores and a couple of other stores in the area. I take all their advice into consideration then come home and research then decide what I want. The store closest to me has the most accurate advice.

I just set up an established 24 gallon cube last week I got off craigslist and is going through a soft cycle now. I don't know what the guy did that had my tank but there are no bristle works or hitchhikers in it :huh: besides aptasia about the only hitchhiker I don't want.

Your tank looks really nice. I am not to far from you and shop at those stores and a couple of other stores in the area. I take all their advice into consideration then come home and research then decide what I want. The store closest to me has the most accurate advice.

I just set up an established 24 gallon cube last week I got off craigslist and is going through a soft cycle now. I don't know what the guy did that had my tank but there are no bristle works or hitchhikers in it :huh: besides aptasia about the only hitchhiker I don't want.

Oh yeah? What other fish stores in the area have you found to be reasonable? I like the selection at Fin, but prefer Nemo's pricing and really value their opinions.

post-54004-1280711345_thumb.jpg

FTS of August 1st, 2010

I have done a little bit of re-aquascaping and the new burgundy coraline growth is really sweet.

post-54004-1280711359_thumb.jpg

Closer shot.

post-54004-1280711477_thumb.jpg

Right side of the tank. In the center is my rock we dubbed Seahorse. It's got some new growth of coraline on it on the opposite side.

post-54004-1280711495_thumb.jpg

Left side of the tank.

post-54004-1280711659_thumb.jpg

Here is some new coraline growth. Really beautiful color.

post-54004-1280711680_thumb.jpg

Zoas are growing really quickly. Good sign!

post-54004-1280711758_thumb.jpg

This really surprised me. I discovered a mussel today in my premium LR. Talk about hitch hiker!

Oh yeah? What other fish stores in the area have you found to be reasonable? I like the selection at Fin, but prefer Nemo's pricing and really value their opinions.

I usually go to Nemos to get deals on used items and some corals. I get most of my fish and advice from Greendale's in Kannapolis. They must be doing something right they have a clown fish there that is over 20 years old. They don't have any problem special order fish, a friend of mine wanted a sergeant major it took them awhile but they got a few in. Their prices are pretty much the same as Nemos. I also go to Mooresville to Salty's but their prices went up and their selection down since the move and change of ownership. Fintastic is a nice store to window but I seldom buy from them. I found out that if you find a better price online Fintastic will honor it but may have the price of shipping in it.

I usually go to Nemos to get deals on used items and some corals. I get most of my fish and advice from Greendale's in Kannapolis. They must be doing something right they have a clown fish there that is over 20 years old. They don't have any problem special order fish, a friend of mine wanted a sergeant major it took them awhile but they got a few in. Their prices are pretty much the same as Nemos. I also go to Mooresville to Salty's but their prices went up and their selection down since the move and change of ownership. Fintastic is a nice store to window but I seldom buy from them. I found out that if you find a better price online Fintastic will honor it but may have the price of shipping in it.

Wow! That's really great to know!

Kannapolis is quite a drive for me. I live minutes away from Nemo's Reef. They'll also special order stuff in and they're really reasonable. It's good to know there are other options though. That's really exciting!

I have a $30 Giftcard to LiveAquaria.com, but I don't know what to purchase. Anyone have any suggestions?

Get some cool inverts!

Btw you need to put contest in your title.

What inverts do you think? I've got 4 snails, 7 hermits, one scarlet hermit, and one pom pom crab right now.

Good suggestions. I'm also working on a 10gallon Q-Tank.

I really would like to see a thread regarding everyone's q-tanks.

I'm wanting to put some LR and Macroalgae in there.

Reefmonster
I took the Scarlet back to the store and they said their entire tank that stored those had died. Something came in contact with that one already.

Reason why I felt comfortable with adding the live stock so soon was that the parameters were in place. My ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 0, even my calcium levels were set.

I'm sorry if you interpreted my writing of the crab passing as so nonchalant. The gentlemen who have been assisting me from these forums encouraged me to take my time with adding the stock. However, once they saw the brown algae starting and the new life growing on the live rock, that was a great indicator that my cycle was taking place rapidly and efficiently.

I encourage you, Reefmonster, to continue to follow my aquarium. I do not take the life in my aquarium for granted.

My post wasn't intended to make you feel bad, just to make you aware that the creatures in your reef are relying upon you for a safe reef habitat. If you tank is cycled then so be it, but I find that most tanks take around a month to cycle...there have been reports if tanks that have fully cycled in less than a month but those are few and far between. I would like to caution you not to take everything you LFS says as Gospel. As one poster said they are out to sell you stuff and could care less if the stuff they sell lives or dies.

I hope your tank does well, but I urge you to do opposite of what your title says, and actually go slow. It takes time for your tank to become accustomed to the added bio-load...when things go bad in small aquaria they go bad quickly, usually with catastrophic consequences.

I hope I'm wrong. Good luck, and I will follow along...

You could always donate the LiveAquaria gift certificate to the Will Rayburn Foundation!

What's that? The $35 shipping charges would deter anyone.

Archived