Pod Your Reef

acropora red ugs or mite's

mattie

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh i want to punch walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just 2 new cool frags a blue polyp monti digi and a green polyp monti stella and now after 4-5 days BANG i see 2 red bugs on my blue hummils oh i am so mad :(

thank goodness i have half a pill left

oh its all my fault

i should have q-tanked them

becouse i know the person i got them from has em in his tank but i assumed since they were montipora that there would be no problem and they were dippid in seachem and fraged becouse they had that nudibranch that eats montipora on them. so i am surprisesd that i have red bugs again and aside from the new monti's i have not added a thing to the tank minus a few hermits so i am stumped and over the weekend i am goint to retreat the tank

agian

So they live on montipora also? That sucks, as my montipora digita is encrusted to the largest rock in my tank X) I was hoping i could remove the 3 frags that i can see the bugs on and treat them in a QT for a week or so. This would avoid killing most of my inverts. Guess i'll just have to treat the tank.

they are not supposed to be able to feed off of montipora there must have been another way that i got them i just do not know

now that i am thinking more realistic

do not worry about the monti's the only like acro's but it must have a been rock or something else that returned the bugs to me

I am pulling off all my acro frags (attached with epoxy - no prob) and a rock that has a few acros that have encrusted. Gonna treat all the acros in a tank this weekend and see how they look in a week or two. Unfortunately I only have my old 96W PC bulb for my hospital tank. Darn.

• 6 months later...

Mattie, after your treatment, have you seen your pods return? I just finished my third and final treatment this weekend, and I'm hoping that the pods will come back. What have you observed?

Steve

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just noticed I have a Red Bug problem. When you dose with Reef Dip or Interceptor can you actually see the Red Bugs die off like you see fleas jump off a dog? Im gonna have to buy some of this stuff. My acro's are taking a whopping.

Cesar - I just picked up 3 frags from a local reefer. 2 M.caps and a nice stag. I notice when I was at his place that the polyp extension and color was wierd, but for $5...what the hell!

Anyway, got home, it had hundreds of RB's running around on it. I dropped in in a tupperware with a small PH...and added 20X interceptor for 2hrs (I have done this previously), rinsed the frag, and added it to my system. There were hundreds just lying dead in the bowl.

Best part, the frag looks better just sitting on my sandbed under my 70W'r than right up against his 2x 400W radiums :)

Wow that fast huh? Where can I get that Interceptor? I heard they have to be prescribed by a vet or you have to get them from Canada. I also read on liveaquaria that Reef Dip treats that too. Are you aware with that procedure?

Yeah, but it can be more toxic to corals since it is basically an Iodine dip.....goto RC and print out Dustin's Thread. Try taking that to a vet and explain the situation and see if they hook you up.

Otherwise, I get my cats advantage from Petshed.com which is out of Austrialia....maybe they'll sell it w/o a script.

I saw that this thread got revived, and I noticed my last post, so I thought I'd make a correction. The frag that I thought was a montipora digitata is actually an acropora. So I humbly retract my statement that these "bugs" can infest montipora.

Wait, does this actually mean that the red bugs attack only Acro SPS not all SPS coral? Is that possible. Because I have a really nice Cali Blue SPS that has not been affected by the red bugs. Or will it eventually get to it too? Hmm,,,,

There's a thread by Borneman at RC that descibes the permissive species. Acros are the primary host. I can't remember what else, if any can host. IME, All of my digs, caps, seris, pocis, stylos, and hydnos....have had no infestation what so ever. Only the acros!

Furthermore the infested frag I just got came out of a 120ga that was loaded with Montipora (dig and cap) that were growing like weeds and showed no signs of bugs. He only had the single acro and it was "loaded" with the bugs.

These last 2 posts really made me feel better. I was getting very discouraged with SPS corals. I thought that they would destroy all SPS coral, wow what a relief.

OxInYourBox

My bugs came in on a milli frag and then spread to the acro's. Milli is doing great and it came from a red bug system I later found out.

The site I listed below didn't ask for an Rx and shipping was great (USPS First class from CA to NC in 3 days). Once I catch my cleaner I'm killing them off. :)

Archived