Coral Vue Hydros

acropora red ugs or mite's

mattie

DitchPlains

Yeah I kinda figured they were was almost 90 % sure, but good just making sure, cause they look like larger versions of your red guys only their not red at all, and yeah the scury in and our of rock and the sand floor. Well, their good ..soo Woohooo. I had that problem when I first had Aipstasia, I thought aww how beautiful, til I realised it was a pest anenmone....luckily I killed it off with lemon juice and a syringe...no need for a pepermint shrimp....but didn;t want to make same mistake here ...B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright!

I got'em too! For weeks I have been checking and checking and thought I had dodged a bullet. However, 3 of my acros have been slow to recover from my xmas mishap. My blue milli has finally started to colored up after, but has almost no polyp extension. Same for my A. valida and A. nana, but they're even slower to get their color back.

Anyway, I finally saw several bugs running around these corals. All my others with good color and polyp extension I can't see any.

I followed some of the RC threads.......What's the NR concensus? Reef dip or interceptor? Both will be a PITA.....

You guys wanna pony up some tank updates?

Thanks, OTF

I want to try the interceptor, just as soon as I can figure out where I can get 1 pill from. Group NR buy on interceptor anyone ?

anyway, yeah the pod thing. about 5 months ago I started a pod tank, just a 4 gal plastuc tub with a lid and an air line, I left the water from a WC in the tub because there were some pods and I never got around to fishing them out. so I have a stock of pods I can repopulate the tank with..

I recently got some small blue legs and I've noticed some of them spending time on my bugged out corals, bug populations do seem lower but I haven't actually seen them eat the bugs and it doesn't seem like much of a solution..

-skeletor-

OxInYourBox

I'm going the interceptor route as well once I find a dog owner willing to give me a pill. Only PITA will be measuring it out properly.

I've kept adding corals though I'm shying away from tri colors which seems to be these guy's favorite hangouts. Over all the tank is doing quite well however I will see non normal polyp closing so I'm assuming it's the bugs or the 6 line seeing them (hopefully).

Well, I work in a lab and have access to microbalances and would happily measure out some stuff for people. The problem (as I see it) would the possible panic and prosecution of sending a "white powder" through the mail........

Funny, I've only seen a couple bugs, but the ones I've seen are on my tricolor valida, A. nana, and my blue mille. Also, like skeletor said, I've seen a ton of BL crab activity (I have 6 tiny BL's) on these corals.....maybe their taking care of them?

its brown powder i think...I'll let you know when I get mine

a vet friend is getting me some and measuring it into doses for me...she's gonna mail it to me. as long as the powder doesn't shake out of an envelope it'll be ok with the post office. its an unwritten rule there "what you don't know can't hurt you"

well, if anyone has enough some spare bug powder dust for about 27gal total volume, send me a PM :-)

my non bugged sps are going through a growth spurt at the moment and my poor bug bitten acro is just not growing :-(

-skeletor-

i have a pill i just still need to break it down and weigh it on a good scale, which i will hopefully do soon now they have spread to all my acro's and my green slimer has turned brownish so i am going to be doing this soon no other corals have anything really as far as a negative effects i am noticing not as much polyp extension but they are still growing and encrusting around the base. i will keep updating

• 2 weeks later...
macrodactyla

Perhaps the reason these acros are getting them is because they're being kept in conditions that stress them out? Do they have enough water movement around them? A person does'nt get parasites on orchids unless they're doing something wrong with them, In my mind it stands to reason that this situation is'nt at all different.

OxInYourBox

Flow doesn't affect them unfortunately.

They literally cling on similar to a tick. They've been spotted inside the polyps before.

Anyone have an extra pill they don't need or a source? If not I'll order online but thought I'd check.

I obtained 1/2 a pill from a local reefer and was getting ready to do the deed. I was only seeing 2-5 bugs on 3 frags (not as much as the 1000's people taked about). However, I started religiously blasting my corals with the baster everynight (mostly because I had some cyano issues with the tank and thought while I was there it would do them some good). As a side effect (maybe) I have seen 20x the polyp extension, coloring up, and no bugs since I started this! Whether the blasting was causing more slime production and that jacked up the bugs or I'm just blow sunshine "somewhere"....I don't know? I decided to hold off until sometime down the road.

yeah I still get great polyp extension during the day and at night but some of the acros are just not growing like the rest, and color is not exactly what it should be.

OTF - I think in the long run you're just making work for yourself, the bugs are still in the tank and are just going to return to the acros sooner or later. better to kill the little ba$t@rds.

-skeletor-

OxInYourBox

Yeah I'm waiting for a pill locally. If not I'll order from the same place you got yours if the transaction goes smoothly. Keep us posted. :)

The thing about it is....we all have: hair algae, cyano, diatoms, flat worms, red bugs, etc in our tanks right now......it is only when they reach infestation stage, that things get out of hand. It's kinda like in humans, we have E.coli, strep A and B, Staph, and about 4-5 different strains of Herpes in over 90% of us. In good health, these things pose no hazard. The guy I got the pill from had some A. nana that had 1000's of bugs.......I couldn't find any last night. Why bust out a MOAB, when a .22cal will do the job?

I've got my pill..........I'd just like to take the "holistic" approach and see if they acros can put up a good defense.

• 2 weeks later...

okay i just got my access to a diamond sacle that measures down to the point or .00 of a carat

1 carat = 200mg

a have about 20 gallons of volume including the sump

so i am going to measure out about 10 points of the pill

i just thought of this idea and thought i would share incase there is a pawn shop or jeweler nearby you if you needed a accurate scale

i am getting close to treating my system

I got my bug powder dust yesterday, but now I'm on the fence again. OTF has some good points and the bugs in my tank don't really seem to be hurting anything, just annoying me :-)

right at the moment everything in my tank has bleached, almost all my SPS :-( most probably because of the recent heat. The iceprobe I have is useless and I just got an aqua medic titan 150, the two of them combined were able to keep the tank at 80 yesterday so maybe everything will recover. I think I'll wait until everything looks better before the treatment.

-skeletor-

Ox, let me know if you are having trouble finding a pill locally.

I am going to do the deed on monday unless something comes up

as far as health of the tank everything looks fine minus 2 corals and some do not show as much polyp extension as they did before the infestaion but they are still growing.... the one coral that has me confused is a green bali slimer acro which was fine under the 2x65wpc's and after the upgrade to4x65w and the return of the dreaded red bug it has now turned brown...so i am assuming it has lost color from the bugs..but bothing else has taken a notible negative turn since the bugs popped up and i am noticing they are slowly multiplying so i feel i should take action soon so it's not a problem

this weekend i am going to make up 10g of water to do 50%wc and use half of the pretreated tank water for this in hopes of limiting the changes to the system...if thats possible

OxInYourBox

Let us know how it goes.

I'm going to take some photos tonight of a red bug infested blue tip and another piece of the same coral that just got added last Thursday which hasn't been taken over by the bugs to show the difference in polyp extension.

just finished about 40-50% water change added carbon

everything looked fine and no dead hermits no dead emerald crab

everything looked great during the water change everything got a little slimy but..............i do see a few red bugs but most are gone............wait............ let me try the turkey baster......... wow blew em away like dust..........okay no red bugs :)

yea i will update agian later tonight as to the final outcome but it looks positve

Archived