Top Shelf Aquatics

Akwarius's 125g Zoa Heaven

Akwarius

fullfrontback.jpg

front/back

Stats:

Volume: 125g display tank (24x72), 55g sump, 30g frag tank

Lighting: 30x3w Cree LEDs, 6x39w T5 (4x Actinic 420nm, 2x Geismann Actinic+)

Flow: Vortech MP40 and MP10

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNWB200 recirc plumbed directly into overflow

Bio Filtration: 40-60lbs LR (display), 100-125lbs LR (sump), 25lbs sand (frag tank), 500ml Warner Marine EcoBak

Overflow: Calfo-Style with BeanAnimal fail-safe standpipes

Automatic: Reef Keeper Lite with temp control, Aquamedic Reefdoser trio, ATO w/ 10g reservior

Additives: B-ionic two part, vinegar, mag as needed

Livestock: LE sps, chalice, 200+zoa mini colonies, and cheapo fish (for movement)

Well, the system has been stable for a couple of weeks now after our move just over a month ago. The project was immense, but totally worth it. My goal for this tank first and foremost was stability, which the water volume, controller, ato, and doser have covered. Secondly, I wanted sparse, visually appealing rock-work that could be viewed from both sides of an open top tank. A departure from my past nano setups which have just looked like a pile of rocks in a corner with corals sticking out. For this display, my intention was to feature sps corals mid-way up where the par from the leds would be higher and the full beauty of the corals could be appreciated. I was very pleased with the arch effect, which was constructed out of 3/4" pvc, waterfall foam, and dry rock. I then added additional live rock with epoxy putty once the tank was filled. I am already seeing some spots of coralline forming on the ugly gray foam. The bottom is covered with eggcrate raised about 1" off the bare bottom. On top of the eggcrate is my zoanthid collection spread out over 200+ 1.5" square aragonite tiles. This will allow me to move my zoanthids very easily for propogation, treating for infection, photography, etc. I've wanted to do this ever since I read a thread where someone was attempting to cover the entire bottom of their reef with zoa gardens.

Future Plans:

I initially intended to add more Par38 LED lights, but that has so far been unnecessary. I may need to increase the light as the sps grow larger and more are added. I would, of course, like to expand my zoanthid, chalice, encrusting monti, and sps collections. Specifically, I have fantasized about a large efflo colony atop the bare rock island on the right. Eventually I may attempt some "show" fish, though I am hesitant because of my awful track record with them.

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
joe yazz :D

its so amazeing. like. the same gods who make the victorias secret models made your tank 2.

the only thing is i feel bad for that tang. hes saying to him self. omg.... i cant find any one!

do you have a fav? like do you like one beter then any other coral?

its so amazeing. like. the same gods who make the victorias secret models made your tank 2.

the only thing is i feel bad for that tang. hes saying to him self. omg.... i cant find any one!

do you have a fav? like do you like one beter then any other coral?

Haha! I had a sailfin, but he found himself on the wrong end of a vortech.

The great thing about having a zoa collection is that my favorite changes depending on which colony is really showing off that day. Here's a few that were being photogenic at the time:

AOG-2.jpg?t=1279350916

spaceman-2.jpg?t=1279350941

ppes.jpg?t=1279350988

nucgreens.jpg?t=1279351051

northernlights.jpg?t=1279351080

lalakers.jpg?t=1279351103

jokers-1.jpg?t=1279351125

fruitloops-1.jpg?t=1279351154

AOIcolony1.jpg?t=1279351210

emeralds-2.jpg?t=1279351264

I like the scape, reminds me of a dinosaur skeleton. Are you planning on letting the SPS get large or are you gonna frag them regularly?

I like the scape, reminds me of a dinosaur skeleton. Are you planning on letting the SPS get large or are you gonna frag them regularly?

Thanks. The arches won't look like skinny bones once the corals grow in. I'd like to see the sps as full-sized colonies.

Cool concept. I am doing something similar but on a much smaller scale in my 40br I am doing for the contest. The main difference is the egg crate zoa area will actually be foamed in areas where the plugs don't need to stick through the crate.. I hope it turns out as well as yours.

great job.

animalmaster6

Akwarius your tank is incredible!!!!

Absoultely a fantastic one!

The amount of zoas you have is unreal :o

How about some more close ups of the livestock? :)

yea this is really cool cant wait for some more close up shots of the scape and the process of the corals making the scape a living tree branch kind of..man it's cool

More pics:

tankside.jpg?t=1280092611

Far end, where the efflo will go. Im getting a frag on Wednesday-woohoo!

rgchalice.jpg?t=1280092969

Chalice

purpleacro.jpg?t=1280093336

Tenius

laserbeamchalice.jpg?t=1280093200

Chalice

fireshrimp.jpg?t=1280093266

Shrimp

i like the scape are you going to let the zoas cover the ground ? i got a few cool ones growing on the bottom of my tank now

i like the scape are you going to let the zoas cover the ground ? i got a few cool ones growing on the bottom of my tank now

Yeah, for the most part. I want the bottom to be one big zoa blanket. When one colony starts encroaching on another, that's when I pull the tile out to frag.

what is the name of the polyp in your avatar Akwarius?

Nightmare

Nice, you have some sick chalices.

thanks. I would like to have more but my bicolor blenny munches on certain types.

Dope tank man. Love the aquascaping and that is a TON of zoas you have it there.

Thanks. It is a TON of zoas. Especially when you have to pull bubble algae off of 1/3 of them like I did yesterday! Man, I wish that stuff would just go away.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... Just... Wow

kinda curious about how your sump is set up

this is going to be amazing when that zoa garden grows out!!

I'll bee watching this one

Wow... Just... Wow

kinda curious about how your sump is set up

this is going to be amazing when that zoa garden grows out!!

I'll bee watching this one

Thanks.

The sump is the ugly underbelly of this display. The live rock had to go somewhere. It's filled with 100lbs LR, media bags, and an ecobak reactor. It also has a ton of flow with the return pump tees and a maxijet 1200 mod.

Archived