Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3/4" Mantis Must Die (Best Method?)

lecroj

I just cycled my first set of LR and got most of the crab hitchhikers out. The one guy I can't get is a 3/4" mantis that is living in a hole in one of the rocks. He has an escape route because he also comes out underneath the rock. I took the rock out and stabbed the hole with stiff wire but it didn't die. I also set a little bottle trap in front of the hole with a piece of shrimp in it, but he wont leave the rock to go inside. I was thinking about using a can of spray air keyboard cleaner next but I doubt that will get him out. Any ideas on how to get this guy out before I add more rock?

I assume both methods would kill all the stuff on the rock?

Do you think the mantis will emerge from the rock if I put it in fresh water?

Thanks

I assume both methods would kill all the stuff on the rock?

Do you think the mantis will emerge from the rock if I put it in fresh water?

Thanks

you can also try putting the rock in hypersaline water with a combination of name calling

the last wont help much but might make you feel better :lol:

It might not kill everything but it will kill most life..

The mantis should emerge after you put it in the water. That tends to get rid of most hitchhikers...

How about sell or trade it instead of killing it.

+1 Try to get it out, then maybe keep it in a little tank until you find someone to take it off your hands...

How long did you wait with the trap? It can often take things a couple of days to get used to new objects and surroundings, so it may not have any effect for a bit after adding it.

I'd also consider leaving the rock out of the water for 12-24 hours, with a piece of damp newspaper or a damp towel on it. This sort of mimics how rocks tend to be shipped, but more importantly: when you put the rock back in the water, all the critters seem to jump off of it.

Aborted the little guy.

Set the rock half in fresh water (kept the side with all of the sponges above water) and then shot fresh water in the hole with a turkey baster. After about 10 minutes he came to where I could see him and I cut him in half with a giant cooking needle. He was about an inch long and red. Now the only hitchhikers left are tiny crabs that shouldn't be a problem for a year or so.

Thanks for the fresh water idea.

People kill these guys because they split fingers, bust tanks, and kill fish or anything else they can. I would suggest a nice magnesium supplement for eliminating all unwanted pests. Get it up there around 1800 or so.

They are also incredibly interesting. The most advanced eyes in the animal kingdom and one of the fastest (if not the fastest) movement in the animal kingdom. So many people love keeping them haha!

I agree 110% but spiders are interesting as well and most people stomp them too. I recently found out I have a pistol shrimp, I have no intentions of killing it even though I really don't like them in my main tank. Specialized tanks are wonderful for this kind of stuff, my wife just won't let me set any more up.

Haha very true, then again I like spiders too :P

Ahh very cool. They are neat too. I was thinking a small mantis could live in my fuge haha.

The snapping will drive you insane, I thought I had a major issue with my equipment for the last month or so and a week ago I found the molt, I was relieved.

Mustang Boy

ok somebody earlier mentioned that they are tank breakers and that is a very rare occasion that has been way over exagerated(sp?). there are only a few species that are able to break a tank and that is only if they are nearly full grown and are in a tank way to small to house them. the mantis that came with your rock was probably an n. wennerae that only grows to about 3in and couldnt break glass if it wanted to. i have one in my 46g bowfront that sits right next to my bed and the tapping isnt that bad i actually like it. i love these little guys and hate when somebody who is ill informed kills them because they think they are the devils of sw fishkeeping. you could have bagged him up there are many many many people on this forum alone who would have given you $10-20 for him and he would have lived a long happy life in a species tank.

joe yazz :D

mustang. you should have told that to me when i came home one day to see my room soaked with 120 gallons. SO YOU TELL ME is it worth a stupid shrimps life. so much worst stuff happens in the world and your looking at a little shrimp that can break 1200 dallors+corals and fish and you think its worth that little things life. to answer that. scare it into a rock and then rip the rock out of your tank and then give it a saltwater bath. or if you REALLY want to get back at him for killing your crabs (lamfo) put him in some sparking water.

and if it brakes your tank its dead any ways. so its a lose lose for you

joe yazz :D

o yes. sparking water will make it fly out of that rock. becuse of the c02

and then you can talk shiit about that shrimps mother

mustang. you should have told that to me when i came home one day to see my room soaked with 120 gallons. SO YOU TELL ME is it worth a stupid shrimps life. so much worst stuff happens in the world and your looking at a little shrimp that can break 1200 dallors+corals and fish and you think its worth that little things life. to answer that. scare it into a rock and then rip the rock out of your tank and then give it a saltwater bath. or if you REALLY want to get back at him for killing your crabs (lamfo) put him in some sparking water.

and if it brakes your tank its dead any ways. so its a lose lose for you

So a mantis broke your 120??? Bulllllll shhhhhh

Archived