ReefCleaners.org

3/4" Mantis Must Die (Best Method?)

lecroj

Mustang Boy

yea i think something else broke your 120 as it should have glass that is pretty thick probably around a half inch. not even the biggest peacocks or chigra have been reported to have nearly enough force to break half inch+ glass. do you have any proof that it was a mantis that did this? because i doubt you do your just trying to something to blame for your tank breaking and the legend of the mantis as tank breakers was good enough for you. i believe your tank either broke on its own or a rock fell and cracked it and it broke because of that or maybe even a seam giving way and the tank splitting like that

joe yazz :D

dude. it can hit your tank about as hard as a .22 (that wouldn't be alot) but thare alot of things that can go wrong with a 120. Mantis hit the glass many times also. the one i had was 4 inches Odontodactylus scyllarus

the problem was. he dug under my live sand and when he got to the bottom he started hitting the glass bottom. my gf (at the time she is my wife now ) heard clicking and then left for her bar tending job.

when i came home i was so mad. i tryed to save stuff. but i could only keep my purple tank alive.

Mustang Boy

only the largest of mantis have the force of a .22 not all of them.

there are only a few mantis that are capable of breaking glass and that is only in their full grown form and in small tanks. you had a half grown peacock which wouldnt be strong enough to break the glass in a 120g tank. it could try all day long and it would be unlikely that it would even break the glass in a 10g tank. i still believe that something else was at fault for breaking your tank because the bottom of the tank would be the strongest part so i find it nearly impossible for a 4in peacock to break the glass in that tank.

Threw a bunch of little gorilla crabs and stone crabs in the yard too. Felt bad about tossing a serpent star but I read stories of those eating small fish too.

I'm not trying to create a Mad Max Thunderdome, just a nice little reef tank.

I would be pissed if a hitch hiker killed my little purple tang or juvenile emperator.

only the largest of mantis have the force of a .22 not all of them.

there are only a few mantis that are capable of breaking glass and that is only in their full grown form and in small tanks. you had a half grown peacock which wouldnt be strong enough to break the glass in a 120g tank. it could try all day long and it would be unlikely that it would even break the glass in a 10g tank. i still believe that something else was at fault for breaking your tank because the bottom of the tank would be the strongest part so i find it nearly impossible for a 4in peacock to break the glass in that tank.

Agreed..

Amazing predators... they can see well into the IR spectrum, they can fire their raptoral appendages with amazing speed... They are brutal. 4" peacock??? wouldn't want to play chicken with it, but taking out a 120g??? not likely.

Mustang Boy
Do mantis shrimp really break the glass of aquariums?

It is a common myth that a mantis will break the glass of an aquarium. This is extremely rare and generally has only been documented in cases where a larger mantis is being kept in a tank that is too small for it. Because the tank is too small it can draw the mantis towards the glass, which is thinner due to the small tank size, and, if provoked, the mantis could strike and potentially break through. In other cases, large mantids have burrowed through the an insufficiently deep sandbed and broke the bottom pane of glass. As a general rule of thumb, plan your tank accordingly to your species of mantis and you will be fine. Don't keep large mantis shrimp in extremely small tanks. Give them plenty of room and properly care for them. Both you and your mantis will be happier that way.

quoted directly from the mantis thread at the top of this section

Yea, I hate to say it, but your 120 must have been doomed any way. It sucks man, I know, but these things fail all the time. The larger the tank, the more careful you have to be with the stand its on (dead level, or at least close to it.) Even then, a lot of stuff can cause a crack, which over time will lead to a failure.

O. Scyllarus can't hit with the force* of a .22. You're thinking of a different species, which gets larger, and smashed out a 20 it shouldn't have been in.

As for your 3/4" mantis, that little thing would have had trouble with all but the smallest hermits and snails. They really are more valuable alive. Hell, I would have payed for it. I can't think of any reason to kill a Mantis. They aren't like Aiptasia, you can actually sell these things, and for good reason. Very, very cool. Hell, depending on the size of your tank, it could have very well become the most interesting specimen in it.

cheryl jordan

LOL at this silly person.

Please do not kill mantis shrimps or any other tank inhabitant unless you know that they are infact a problem. Too many urban mythis and not enough facts.

Killing any mantis shrimp is unnecessary, like others said, trade it to your local LFS or try to sell it to someone here on the forums, that would be the best method to get rid of one.

animalmaster6

People don't realize people pay lots of money for these hitchhikers.

If it were me I would set up a tiny little tank for them and watch the tank. They require little maintenence and they really aren't that hard to take care of. They are pretty interesting.

If you don't want to do that sell them and treat yourself to a coral! :)

KevKapawski

'joe yazz'

You need to cut down on the weed/herb or just grow up...

Dont feel offended!

How many people honestly try to re-home gorilla crabs? Who would even want that?

Personally I havent had to run into the dilemma of having to kill anything (other than hydroids but no one crys for a hydroid :lol: ) but it is a tough call.

Actually just last night i found 4 rainbow mantis peacocks after rearranging my live rock and coral tanks in the store i help out in. Its a gorgeous specimen but damn do those things hurt...that and fireworms.

Note to anyone that helps in fish stores in large sized tanks. Check UNDER rock before just grabbing it.

Mustang Boy
How many people honestly try to re-home gorilla crabs? Who would even want that?

Personally I havent had to run into the dilemma of having to kill anything (other than hydroids but no one crys for a hydroid :lol: ) but it is a tough call.

once i get my mantis tank up and running ill happily take in homeless gorilla crabs to become meals that and most people just stick them in their sumps and let them live in there

FallenMonkey
mustang. you should have told that to me when i came home one day to see my room soaked with 120 gallons. SO YOU TELL ME is it worth a stupid shrimps life. so much worst stuff happens in the world and your looking at a little shrimp that can break 1200 dallors+corals and fish and you think its worth that little things life. to answer that. scare it into a rock and then rip the rock out of your tank and then give it a saltwater bath. or if you REALLY want to get back at him for killing your crabs (lamfo) put him in some sparking water.

and if it brakes your tank its dead any ways. so its a lose lose for you

/point and laugh

:o Oh no he didnt.

Archived