ReefCleaners.org

tap water or not?

floridian reefer

floridian reefer

just wonder opinions on using tap water for top off or mixing up salt water. im under the impression that if you do your basically just asking for algae and invert problems?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LostinWater

NEVER use tap water for topping off or for your salt mixing. You'll have continued trouble and fighting an up hill battle. Just use RO/DI and you'll be fine. If you don't have the equipment for that, go to your lfs or local water supplier and one of those should have it. Should be pretty cheap too.

floridian reefer

$1 gallon for salt $.50 gallon fresh

thats what i have been doing, just read a couple people do without problems, just wanted to get some opinions. besides arent they putting fluoride into the water?

19jeffro83

Don't do it. Also maybe start searching these threads. I learned a ton before I ever even purchased my tank. Good luck and be patient. It'll save you lots of money and headaches and keep you interested in the hobby. Instead of frustrated.

thats what i have been doing, just read a couple people do without problems, just wanted to get some opinions. besides arent they putting fluoride into the water?

Yes, I am dechlorinating the water ofc.

Also airaiting it while I mix.

The skimmer goes wild for about an hour, then its all good.

Honestly tap water isn't as harmful as everyone says. Just test your tap water for nitrates and phosphates before use and if theirs none then you should be good. However use a skimmer and use macro algae if you use tap and you must do weekly water changes. The key to algae free tanks is to not over feed, vacuum the sand and do weekly maintenance and water changes and you'll be fine.

Meengineer0128

You should be topping off with fresh. I only top off with salt if I WANT my sg to raise. In order to maintain a steady SG you need to use RO/DI. If you use tap, there are conditioners out there, but they will only take care of every chem. but phosphates. If you use a phosphate reducer/remover then use tap water at your own risk.

19jeffro83

What about copper contamination, tds, and microbes that are in mot tap water. If you can't afford a few bucks for water. Your in the wrong hobby.

What about copper contamination, tds, and microbes that are in mot tap water. If you can't afford a few bucks for water. Your in the wrong hobby.

Its not about the money, its about convenience.

I use phosban, and activated carbon... my water has been tested for copper, and my inverts are fine...

Corals are happy as can be! And Im algae free!

floridian reefer

ive been thinking about getting an RO unit and making a "water station" in my shed out out 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans, yes with lids. would the florida heat mess with the water in any way? salt or fresh.

Its not about the money, its about convenience.

I use phosban, and activated carbon... my water has been tested for copper, and my inverts are fine...

Corals are happy as can be! And Im algae free!

where do you live

also you tds in your tap water changes through out the year.

how so

19jeffro83

Not worth the risk to me I love my tank and all inhabitants. Wouldn't want that to affect my tank even if it's two or three years down the road. But you can do what you'd like it's your tank. Just don't put tap water in mine.

floridian reefer
Not worth the risk to me I love my tank and all inhabitants. Wouldn't want that to affect my tank even if it's two or three years down the road. But you can do what you'd like it's your tank. Just don't put tap water in mine.

lol i hear ya

Meengineer0128

I don't know where you live man, but there is no copper in my water. Unless you live in a house built before 1970, you don't have to worry about copper in the water. As far as TDS and microbes go, this is what you have to worry about!!!! You will not be able to eliminate all TDS or microbes with conditioners.

Don't dish on him man, he is just trying to find a economical way to solve a problem. Nothing wrong with asking.

19jeffro83

Not sure about the heat good Q. Was wondering myself. I'd like to set one up in my garage. It's hot as he'll in there rite now.

Meengineer0128
ive been thinking about getting an RO unit and making a "water station" in my shed out out 55 gallon

Awesome idea!!!!!!

19jeffro83

Dude your pipes are made of copper. Unless it's less than ten or fifteen years old. Pex is a new product that still uses brass fittings. Smarty pants.

Meengineer0128

"Opinions are like #######s, everybody has one"

Hhahahahahha

And if #######s were airplanes, this place would be an airport

19jeffro83

It's just as bad as dropping a penie in your tank if the water is running threw it.

Love it meengineer lol. Nanoreef airport what's the abbreviation for that and how many terminals?

Meengineer0128
Dude your pipes are made of copper. Unless it's less than ten or fifteen years old. Pex is a new product that still uses brass fittings. Smarty pants.

Maybe out there in Jersey where the air is toxic, but not here in Chicago. The pipes that come from the main are Industial PVC and don't switch to galvanized stainless steel until they get to the faucets. The actual mains are made of Cast Iron.

Archived