Top Shelf Aquatics

ORA aquacultured spotted Mandarin Goby

wamb0010

19jeffro83

Is when you raise food for your fish in devoted tank or jar anything. Like copepods and rots. Look into it, it's not that hard. Tank air stone food and a culturing method.

"culturing method" a way to get them out of the water column or surface and into your tank. Without all the junk.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORA should supply a little certificate with each and every fish they sell to LFS or out of their facility. That will surely cut down on any frauding that's going on. Not saying you got screwed.

These are both ORA fish (zero doubt on my end), and they are both ignoring pellets and frozen food at this point..... And no, I have not seen mine on the live rock at all. He's scooting along the sandbed, but I have not seen him "pick" at anything.

ORA should supply a little certificate with each and every fish they sell to LFS or out of their facility. That will surely cut down on any frauding that's going on. Not saying you got screwed.

OK. Is it coincidental that ORA released these fish (only the spotted mandarins) and me and the OP bought on the same day the shipments were received? Actually, my lfs owner (a friend of mine) had them hold his order until Tuesday when the new spotted gobies were release. These are both ORA fish. Zero doubt.

MNReefCouple

I always have live selcon loaded brine shrimp at the store if you want to make some food. We don't sell them but I have a culture or two for our bengai breeding.

I just ran out and bought some Hikari baby brine shrimp cubes. I don't understand how this works? there is no mass to it. Can anyone give suggestions?

I would try some frozen cyclopeeze. But really as already stated, I'd give them a couple of days to get accustomed to their new surroundings. They look a little stressed in your pics, IMO.

BTW, there is an ORA dealer in Louisville, Ky. that is selling them for $50, just sayin'. There is an ORA dealer where I live, he is one of ORAs' oldest and first dealers. Unfortunately, he uses LiveAquaria Divers Den as his pricing guideline! So who knows what he will charge for his!?

Also my LFS tells me the ORA red & green mandarins won't be available until later this summer.

I just ran out and bought some Hikari baby brine shrimp cubes. I don't understand how this works? there is no mass to it. Can anyone give suggestions?

just try puting it in the water so it floats around the tank because that will probably work.

he is one of ORAs' oldest and first dealers. .

I feel like everyone says this when it comes to there LFS! Im not calling you a liar by any means. Just making this observation.

just try puting it in the water so it floats around the tank because that will probably work.

Won't this add a ton of phosphates? You suggest just popping out the cube and plopping it in the tank?

Nemo Niblets
Won't this add a ton of phosphates? You suggest just popping out the cube and plopping it in the tank?

Definitely don't do that. :P

Run some phosban if you aren't already..

I feel like everyone says this when it comes to there LFS! Im not calling you a liar by any means. Just making this observation.

Well let's just say ORA asks my LFS to bring his corals to MACNA and set up a display with them. Does yours?? My LFS also got some of the first Picassos when they came out, there in my avatar, btw.

skimmerdude

It looks like anyone buying ORA mandarins from an lfs should observe the fish actually eating prepared food before dropping any cash.

This is actually super good advice for any fish purchase. If the lfs won't feed the fish for you or the fish won't eat for you, don't buy it.

This has saved me from a few fish that looked good in the store but probably would not have made it in my tank for more than a few weeks.

It looks like anyone buying ORA mandarins from an lfs should observe the fish actually eating prepared food before dropping any cash.

This is actually super good advice for any fish purchase. If the lfs won't feed the fish for you or the fish won't eat for you, don't buy it.

This has saved me from a few fish that looked good in the store but probably would not have made it in my tank for more than a few weeks.

Excellent advice!

Please PM me the details of the lfs that didn't get the mandarins. FYI, I picked up an ORA marshall island bottle brush at the same time I picked up the mandarin. Both were still in the shipping bag when I picked up. I don't understand why people are questioning this......

Definitely don't do that. :P

Run some phosban if you aren't already..

Little confused... If I were running phosban would you recomend that? Im using chemipure elite

Well let's just say ORA asks my LFS to bring his corals to MACNA and set up a display with them. Does yours?? My LFS also got some of the first Picassos when they came out, there in my avatar, btw.

I wasn't playing, BUT, you obviously win the who's LFS fish store is cooler. Nice Picassos though, seen that avatar before and liked it.

Flinster - did you try the Spectrum this evening?

Little confused... If I were running phosban would you recomend that? Im using chemipure elite

I wasn't playing, BUT, you obviously win the who's LFS fish store is cooler. Nice Picassos though, seen that avatar before and liked it.

Flinster - did you try the Spectrum this evening?

I did. They literally landed on the goby, but no response. Certainly there are more people out there that have bought these fish. I plan to try live baby brine tomorrow. If it eats that, I might have an issue with this fish being as advertised.....

I did. They literally landed on the goby, but no response. Certainly there are more people out there that have bought these fish. I plan to try live baby brine tomorrow. If it eats that, I might have an issue with this fish being as advertised.....

Try frozen first though (before the live). I have some frozen baby brine and frozen bloodworm as well. I can't even find them right now to try to feed. They are so little that they can burrow so deep in my rock that I can't spot them with the flashlight.

Try frozen first though (before the live). I have some frozen baby brine and frozen bloodworm as well. I can't even find them right now to try to feed. They are so little that they can burrow so deep in my rock that I can't spot them with the flashlight.

My first attempt was with rod's food, which is a mix of all types of tiny frozen creatures. The fact that he ignored that has me a little worried...

My first attempt was with rod's food, which is a mix of all types of tiny frozen creatures. The fact that he ignored that has me a little worried...

But what I mean is try frozen first tomorrow, if he doesn't eat, then try the live brine. This way you can run a controlled experiment

what habbit? if they are tank raised and trained on pellet and frozen, it is likely they never even seen a live pod or have the habbit of foraging on liverock.

Anyone know if they have some live pods on their tank at ORA? All I read is that they would not be released until they eat pellets. Now we're talking about tank raised fish here...they should not be so stressed out as to stop eating like that. Both my wild mandaring were foraging on liverock the day after they got in my tank.

The female actualy started foraging right away. They could be stressed out yes but after 2 days? hmmm...

The wild fish seem to need to forage and be comfortable before they start eating frozen food. that was the case with both of mine, but I would not think that tank raised fish would go through such process.

To feed them, you should cut the pump put some food then and if there is something remaining you should remove it right away.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/07/05/captive...otted-mandarin/

Don't expect it to take food right away... it's going to be stressed. And if they DONT pick food off the rock I'd be worried. THey are trained onto frozen, but I highly highly doubt you can break the habit of foraging from rocks... I wouldn't buy one if they didn't pick pods off of a rock.

Nemo Niblets
what habbit? if they are tank raised and trained on pellet and frozen, it is likely they never even seen a live pod or have the habbit of foraging on liverock.

The same reason fish know what to eat when they're born. When breeders raise clownfish, they don't teach them how to eat, and the parents don't teach them how to eat. The clownfish eat the rotifers that they're fed because it's just what they do.

in deed, my wild cought green mandarins love bloodworms and fish roe. that's the only food they eat beside pods and occasional live white worms.

Looks like user error. I probably picked the wrong food type. Thanks for the link

"Some of the frozen foods that they readily accept include: finely chopped Hikari Blood Worms, Nutramar Ova (prawn eggs), fish roe, and baby brine shrimp. They are also accustomed to eating New Life SPECTRUM Small Fish Formula pellets."

Nemo Niblets

I wouldn't try live brine tomorrow. I'd probably try it 2 or 3 days from now, if i doesn't take frozen.

Well not really. Often at the LFS the fish are very stressed. When I bought my wild mandarin he had not been eating for 12 days and was pittifully hanging on the back glass. Good think I bought him because he huge and fat and eating frozen food like a little pig.

It does not mean because a fish is not eating frozen food at the LFS that it won't do it at home once it get used to its new surrounding. Lots of hiding places is good to make them feel comfortable. At the LFS often the tanks are bare with no hiding places and that's why the fish are stressed.

I surely hope they do have retained an instinct to eat live pods, especialy if they don't eat anything else they might have that instinc to pic at live prey and that might get them going.

The same reason fish know what to eat when they're born. When breeders raise clownfish, they don't teach them how to eat, and the parents don't teach them how to eat. The clownfish eat the rotifers that they're fed because it's just what they do.

Archived