Cultivated Reef

ORA aquacultured spotted Mandarin Goby

wamb0010

Hello - I just picked up the 2 ORA aquacultured spotted Mandarin Goby babies from my LFS and was wondering if anyone has any experience with feeding/keeping these.

I just got them in the tank, they seem to be doing well and are reasonably fat. my gold assessor basslet is checking them out but 0 harrassment. That is the only other fish in the tank.

I did a 20% water change prior to putting them in and the lights in my living room are off besides the moonlight.

I will do my first feeding tomorrow. Gonna try formula one. Just wondering if anyone has any tips

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello - I just picked up the 2 ORA aquacultured spotted Mandarin Goby babies from my LFS and was wondering if anyone has any experience with feeding/keeping these.

I just got them in the tank, they seem to be doing well and are reasonably fat. my gold assessor basslet is checking them out but 0 harrassment. That is the only other fish in the tank.

I did a 20% water change prior to putting them in and the lights in my living room are off besides the moonlight.

I will do my first feeding tomorrow. Gonna try formula one. Just wondering if anyone has any tips

I think they are trained well on spectrum pellets. IMO use those :)

Thanks I will pick up some spectrum

I live in MN so this is by far the most anyone will have to pay in the CONUS. The cost me $100 each. They just got them in today and I happened to stop in. I felt like it was destiny so I payed.

Supply and Demand in MN will keep these puppies at $100 for a while is my guess... If the LFS is limited to 2 per order

I actually asked him. Because I knew everyone would ask. And the LFS guy says he buys them for $50/each. My fish store doesn't turn inventory that often so they only order from ORA sporadically. He is going to order more ORA dragonettes but he doesn't really need anything else at the moment so if he spreads the $50 shipping cost, it is $75 each. I think $100 is fair, given my location. Plus I don't mind supporting my LFS.

Depending how badly you want one $50 - $100 should be the upper and lower bound, respectively.

jaygalindo

Yup my Lfs has them for 79.99 but both were gone by the time I got there. That 2 per lfs rule sucks!

Here is a pick during the acclimation process of one. I just snapped a pick of them both after they were introduced into the tank. They are just hanging out. It takes me forever to upload pics from my digital camera.... They are like 6MB each when they come off the camera. It is annoying

post-53214-1278557693_thumb.png

Awesome bro! I've been trying to get my LFS to order them, but they won't order until Sunday. Its a boreass. Are the spotted ones the only ones that are coming out?

saltyliving

These mandrins are awesome. i have to say living in S. Florida is awesome bc im about an 2 hours from their facility and we get to see ora stuff alot.

Good luck with the the gobies. they are beautiful.

plz post pics

Awesome bro! I've been trying to get my LFS to order them, but they won't order until Sunday. Its a boreass. Are the spotted ones the only ones that are coming out?

I saw on reefbuilders.com that they would also have blue and red ones this summer. I would guess there would be harder to find as they are harder to train. (supposedly)

Reefbuilders article:

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/24/captive...mmercially-ora/

I'm looking forward to hearing how your mandarins eat. Keep us updated!

2 mandarins?? I surely hope you have a male and female because if you have 2 males you might have some major fighting later on when they mature. I know for wild mandarins putting 2 males together is a no go unless you have a huge tank.

If they really are ORA fish, then they are supposed to be trained on pellet food. If they really are ORA, then they will eat pellet food and surely enough they will eat mysis or cyclopeeze (frozen not dry).

If they don,t want to eat any food that is not live food, then they probably are wild fish. I had no problem training both my mandarins to eat frozen food and they are wild fish. I never tried pellet food but since mine are wild I seriously doubt they would eat that.

2 mandarins?? I surely hope you have a male and female because if you have 2 males you might have some major fighting later on when they mature. I know for wild mandarins putting 2 males together is a no go unless you have a huge tank.

Defintely don't have a huge tank - 28 gallon nanocube. Its impossible to tell what they are at this stage. One is bigger than the other so I am hoping for the best. I was feeling lucky! I had a 1/3 chance no matter what and I was liking those odds. Here is a close up pic. they are very tiny. 1inch at best

post-53214-1278560373_thumb.jpg

19jeffro83

That are really cool. I love mine she's been with me for almost three months now. Good luck with them!! Let us all know how they eat and how there health is in the future.

Just an update. I tried my first feeding this morning. I was able to drop the pellet formula one in danger close proximity to the fish and they didn't move at it. I then tried frozen mysis. I target fed with a turkey baster. I litterally was able to get the frozen mysis to land on there head but they didn't eat that either. I'm hoping it is just stress and that they will eat either tonight or tomorrow.

Just an update. I tried my first feeding this morning. I was able to drop the pellet formula one in danger close proximity to the fish and they didn't move at it. I then tried frozen mysis. I target fed with a turkey baster. I litterally was able to get the frozen mysis to land on there head but they didn't eat that either. I'm hoping it is just stress and that they will eat either tonight or tomorrow.

I had the exact same result this morning with the one I picked up yesterday. I literally hit him with rod's food, but he didn't take any that I could see. I wonder is they were feeding them live pods and not dry or frozen food. I have some spectrum that I try to plan later today.

I had the exact same result this morning with the one I picked up yesterday. I literally hit him with rod's food, but he didn't take any that I could see. I wonder is they were feeding them live pods and not dry or frozen food. I have some spectrum that I try to plan later today.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I thought they were always eating live pods, it was just difficult to keep a surplus pod population in a nano-tank. What bothered me is that the gobies were out in the open, whereas normal fish under stress hide deep in the rock so target feeding is near impossible. It didn't look like either of them had ANY interest in the mysis. It was my greatest target feed yet

my lfs told me ora sells them for 25

Your probably right, mine likely lied to me. Im not on a first name basis, I haven't spent $8,000 yet... I can't blame him, it is business and this information is of a competitive nature. Unless your LFS guy is a disinformation agent... There is a possibility that all LFS owners are in league with the russian spies.

Archived