Innovative Marine Aquariums

Archipelago Contest tank

miniwhinny

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My second PAR 38 arrived last night...will take picture later today. I purchased a new phoenix 14,000k bulb a month ago and just one of these PAR 38's ( I have to 7 LED versions not the 5) blow the halide away in terms of brightness when at the same height above the water. It's not even close !

I'm now thinking about getting a canister filter. I know everyone cringes at the thought but seriously...my maintenance routine is almost obsessive and I don't see any difference in detritus hanging around in the tank behind rocks, in a HOB like an AC, in a filter sock in a sump or in a canister filter for a week before being cleaned out. Still just in the "thinking about it" stage but it's not something I'm ruling out yet :D

Tank disaster turns into something fun :D

I was looking at my tank on Saturday morning and noticed horrible scratches all and I mean ALL over the glass. I didn't realize the mag float had picked up something gritty and when I used it it really destroyed the glass :angry: I can't tell you how upset I was :mellow:

Anyhow I emptied stuff into a smaller tank and tried to see it I could remove it with a razor blade. I couldn't - the scratches are etched into the glass. So I put the tank outside and prepared to have to get another.

Then yesterday when I was cleaning up my laundry room I was looking at my 10 gallon and thinking...hey I could move that stuff over and make the 40b a huge shallow sand flat.

Ta-da :) I ended up having to put 5 more gallons in to cover the rocks. SO I have a 36" x 18" x 5" sand flat reef. Home to a maroon clown that I've had for 3 years.

It's very simple. No sump, no skimmer. Gonna do 5 gallon water changes every week to keep things in check.

tank33.jpg

tank34.jpg

tank35.jpg

tank36.jpg

tank37.jpg

tank38.jpg

It all came about because of an accident but I really like it. It's lit by two PAR38 7 LED (3 white, 4 blue) Rapids...and WOW, it's brighter than any halide I've ever used with these two. I have them in simple $6 work shop lights because the tanks in my laundry room and not out on show somewhere. It's hard to show in pictures just how bright it is and the sand is just rippling with glitter marks...

Now I'm going to have to research sand flat inhabitants :P:huh:

I'm LOVING these LEDs. :D

tank39.jpg

Archived