SaltCritters.com

Uhuru's 39g Seagrass/OSFF Tank

Uhuru

Sounds like what my tank was going through. First cyano and then filamentous growth. Even now it cycles through different phases--growing film algae like crazy one moment and then starving it all out the next. The grasses go from thriving to dying and back to thriving. I've just come to accept its transience. The only thing I am doing differently now vs. before is regularly trimming (plucking, actually) the grasses.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm just letting it do its thing. If nothing else its serving a good function right now. One thing is I am definitely replacing the MH lighting before next spring. Just too much heat. Most likely going to go with a 6 bulb T5 setup.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yes its still running, but a lot of the initial seagrasses died off, the remaining ones are doing well but not spreading much... I keep my tank at 73 which I think is too cold for them to grow much. I'm now running leds only on this tank and believe it or not a biopellet reactor which seemed to help

I'll try to upload a video later, no new pics but I should have more free time this next couple of weeks to do things. I'm having a bad aiptasia outbreak right now although since there are no rocks its easy to scoop them up and throw them away. I just haven't had any time for my tanks. Literally spend about 2 minutes a day on them don't even get a chance to look at anything.

I keep my tank at 73 which I think is too cold for them to grow much.
You're probably right, that's probably the current limiting factor. Looking forward to seeing the video.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Amphiprion1

Quick question--what do you think about your AI Sol White? How do you think it compares intensity-wise to the Iwasaki you were running? Thinking about doing the same thing, myself, since it is getting quite hot in the small room I have the tank in.

Hey amp sorry for the late reply. I've been neglecting everything so bad lately...

The Sol White is great. Its very bright once you get close to the 100% intensity, but its much more focused than the iwasaki was, so its hard to compare. The iwasaki would light up my whole floor. The Sol White is certainly capable of growing whatever you want. The issue is more about spread. For your cube its perfect.

Also, even with everything on my tanks run at the same temperature as the house now - no temp increase at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Another awesome tank. Keep up the good work. Any updates? I'm debating whether or not to make my nano cube into sea grass/macro tank. What kind of sea grass do you have?

Archived