Top Shelf Aquatics

Uhuru's 39g Seagrass/OSFF Tank

Uhuru

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the competition hots up. Curious to see what you bust out man, god knows if history is anything to go by it's going to be an absolute stunner.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha thanks but this is not going to be a stunner compared to what I'm sure the other contestants will produce. Actually this will be extremely simple, more of a display refugium. It's going to be filled with seagrasses. I want to let the seagrasses fill the whole tank. Maybe I'll have a couple of goniopora on a couple of rocks, some sponges and some red and blue macros to add some color. I plan to keep my Orange Spotted Filefish, hopefully find him a female to pair with, and I want to keep an ORA mandarin goby. Then, maybe a shoal of red spot cardinals.

animalmaster6

It's going to be awesome :)

This contest will have some serious tough decisions in the end.

I thought you were going to have a cowfish :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Drain plumbing is done and added a vortech mp10. Lighting is a 250w Iwasaki 6500K in a lumenmax 2 pendant and galaxy ballast.

DSC03001.jpg

Planning to add water and sand this week! I'll take better pictures once the tank is finally running.

Fiji Mud... this is the real deal!

DSC03006.jpg

Mixing in Tropic Eden Aragasnow

DSC03007.jpg

Took some established rocks from my 150g tub downstairs

DSC03009.jpg

I have a 6" DSB. The bottom layer is fiji mud mixed with aragasnow. The middle layer is pure aragasnow, and the top layer (not shown in the pic above) is the sand bed from my 20g NPS tank (which I replaced with new sand). I then added new IO salt and 5-7g of water from my NPS tank. I would take pics with water in the tank but its so cloudy you can't really see anything. It wasn't cloudy until I decided to rinse off the bags of fiji mud in the tank - which in hindsight was a mistake.

Yeah the water right now definitely reminds me of dirty california beaches hehe... I think its gonna take a few days to clear since I'm not running any mechanical filtration.

Sweet! Where'd you get the mud?

Thanks! It's Fiji Mud from Walt Smith. You can order it online from most major vendors.

Got a bunch of Halophila from John yesterday and spent HOURS planting it.

The blades are not looking really happy right now hopefully it pulls through. I ordered way more than I needed but I'm glad I did since I'm a newb at planting and the survival rate after shipping is kinda low anyway. I'll try to take pics once the water clears.

I plan to connect it to my NPS tank tonight or tomorrow.

Archived