Coral Vue Hydros

My first pico! Dymax IQ3 now 5 YEARS OLD!

andrewkw

Pom Pom made a rare appearance out in the open.

IMGP8756.JPG

As I moved the mag float down he put up his anemones

IMGP8763.JPG

Then he put them back down as I moved it further away

IMGP8764.JPG

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andrewkw, where did you get that yellow sponge? And what type is it?

Just grew on it's own. Never tried to ID it. There are a couple of other sponges growing on the rock too. Really surprisingly this much is growing since some of the rock originally used was dry.

then it must have arrived on a frag and it would be very hard to pinpoint its origin(which sea or ocean).

Its a nice sponge.

Some of the rock was live, but given that there is like 2LBS 3 max in here it's surprising how much hitch hiked on it.

The only Atlantic coral is one florida ricordia and it was just a polyp so I know it didnt come on that. Given where it's growing it came on the rock.

Lots of new pictures with the afternoon sun :

I'm not really a big sps guy but I added a couple just to see what happens.

IMGP8776.JPG

IMGP8788.JPG

I thought I could break off a tiny piece of porcelapora without knocking the colony but I was wrong. Good thing after that I took 2 frags because the first one fell at the back of the tank. The second one is a little bigger. I didn't realize it will have virtually no room to grow up until it was too late.. I actually tried to add a couple of other things but they fell so I'm not going to force the issue. If they fall they fall. There is very little space left to add corals and anything that falls would require the removal of several other things. Sometimes they fall in half decent spots.

IMGP8780.JPG

IMGP8791.JPG

Since moving to the bottom this has turned even more pink.

IMGP8790.JPG

IMGP8795.JPG

IMGP8800.JPG

IMGP8801.JPG

IMGP8807.JPG

That yellow sponge has been growing a lot lately.

IMGP8810.JPG

The hammer is the hardest coral to photograph, its so bright and really baking under the light, but it seems to be handling it okay.

IMGP8811.JPG

IMGP8817.JPG

The xenia is the one coral I may eventually have to frag.

IMGP8833.JPG

IMGP8782.JPG

IMGP8777.JPG

WAR

IMGP8775.JPG

Impartial 3rd party taking sides

IMGP8832.JPG

Also I finally sucked it up and ordered a JBJ ATO. I'm not sure if the float switches will fit in the back or not. If they don't fit I'll probably move my tunze from another tank.

Very nice photo update, but you've forgot to include a FTS?!! I especially enjoyed th eWAR pics, and the one depicting the sexy shrimp on the anemone.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your ATO as I have one planned after pump & lighting upgrades for my own Dymax.

Can you describe your supplement and feeding regime?

Sweet pics man....what is that acan eating?

I was thinking of ordering a JBJ ato for my pico too, but I can't justify spending that much when the tank costs less. Instead I DIY'd it using a battery powered air pump and just spliced in a float switch I bought off ebay.

Very nice photo update, but you've forgot to include a FTS?!! I especially enjoyed th eWAR pics, and the one depicting the sexy shrimp on the anemone.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your ATO as I have one planned after pump & lighting upgrades for my own Dymax.

Can you describe your supplement and feeding regime?

Tank doesn't look drastically different then from the last FTS.

The only thing I've dosed is Mag. Water changes seem to be fine for replenishing everything. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to start dosing a little bit of alkalinity but the tanks so small it would be just a couple of ML.

I feed cyclopeeze 2-3 times a week. Sometimes a bit of frozen brine. I occasionally target feed the anemone just regular shrimp.

Sweet pics man....what is that acan eating?

I was thinking of ordering a JBJ ato for my pico too, but I can't justify spending that much when the tank costs less. Instead I DIY'd it using a battery powered air pump and just spliced in a float switch I bought off ebay.

It's a favia and it's actually being attacked by the lobo. I might try and knock the favia onto the sandbed, we'll see how the battle goes. They only starting fighting today. I will have to do a water change tonight or tomorrow with all the chemical warfare going on.

The JBJ is cheap. I really wanted another tunze but I couldn't justify spending 200$ for an ATO i barely need.

did you do anything about that war? ._.

Nice pics, but be careul of that hammer coral bleaching.

No they're still fighting. I'm debating knocking the favia to the sandbed. I'll probably end up knocking something else

Idealy the one polyp that's touching will die and the other one will remain.

Can't really do anything about the hammer it's mounted there and there it will stay.

I feed cyclopeeze 2-3 times a week. Sometimes a bit of frozen brine. I occasionally target feed the anemone just regular shrimp.

The JBJ is cheap. I really wanted another tunze but I couldn't justify spending 200$ for an ATO i barely need.

I also feed frozen cyclopeese, soaked in vitamin and amino acid supplement. Do you turn off the pump during feeding? What is in the media section?

How cheap did you find a JBJ auto top off? They still seem way too pricey IMO.

war is never good, make sure your chemical filter material is fresh. hopefully their war wont end up nuking your tank. also WCs may help if corals start to look a bit sad.

Chemical filter material? This is a 2 gallon tank there is no room for such things. Although I guess if I really wanted to I could put a tiny piece of chemiclean in the back. I don't think it's needed though.

The back chambers have 2 mangroves, a powerhead and hopefully enough room for the float switches. I do not usually turn off the pumps.

yes i always tend to run chemipure in my AC fuges. IMO chemical filtration may help adsorbing toxins the corals let out. just do WCs then.

Hi Andrew, could you tell me how you have the mangroves in the tank , i'e , in sand , rock rubble etc,

thanks

No sand, no rock rubble.

There is just 2 mangroves and a powerhead and the return pump in the back. I am hoping to jam 2 float switches in the back. If not I'll have to use my tunze since the optical sensor for top off is much smaller then a float switch.

I'll have to get some new pics tomorrow in the afternoon sun (they always seem to come out better with the natural light in addition to the par30). I picked up a 2 little fishes nanomag today. This thing BLOWS AWAY the baby mag float which was basically a useless toy.

I never thought I'd get the acrylic this clean.. Also I dunno how but someone has moved one of my zoo frags to the back. It's in a spot where I can't reach it so I guess it will stay there until someone brings it back. I took that favia out since it looks like its going to melt. Finally my pom pom crab has molted. He would be interested to see molt. I wonder if he puts his pom poms down while he molts?

Andrew thanks for the fast reply , I have an almost identical tank , I have ordered some mangroves for mine :) if you have not put them in sand / rock , wont they just topple over ? what have they attached too ?

cheers

Steve

Andrew thanks for the fast reply , I have an almost identical tank , I have ordered some mangroves for mine :) if you have not put them in sand / rock , wont they just topple over ? what have they attached too ?

cheers

Steve

The roots keep them up. I didn't start with brand new pods I took some that I had for about 6 months prior from another system. You can just float them in styrofoam until they are large enough to support themselves.

New pictures. Again I cannot stress this enough, if you have a pico buy a 2 little fishes nanomag. Glass or acrylic! This thing is amazing. Bye bye magfloat, toothbrush, scraper (that ends up knocking corals off ect).

IMG_8101.JPG

I plan on eventually putting another piece of that favia in but by the time I get around to it there probably won't be space..

from the side, look how CLEAN the acrylic is

IMG_8102.JPG

IMG_8108.JPG

2 completely different species look almost exactly the same under this light. Although from the top they are still drastically different. Again look how I got the nanomag between them and the acrylic.

IMG_8113.JPG

Right down the bottom nice and clean. The lobo easily defeated that favia and shows no signs of stress from the chemical war.

IMG_8114.JPG

I'm stressing the mag because I really wish I had it months ago. Look at the algae in my old pics.

This was hard to take but in real life the reflection looks perfect. Obviously I can't take it edge on to see the reflection :

IMG_8085.JPG

Finally I was doing a water change on my main display tank and decided to take a couple of top downs which include one really interesting one :

IMG_7863.JPG

IMG_7857.JPG

I love this pic

IMG_7994.JPG

Also since my pico is still fishless here's a couple of my fish

IMG_8041.JPG

IMG_8060.JPG

and one of my octo who has fully grown up in the time my pico has been setup.

IMG_8072.JPG

Archived