Innovative Marine Aquariums

My first pico! Dymax IQ3 now 5 YEARS OLD!

andrewkw

Yes Newman finally! The Fungai only has a few cm to grow but if I don't target feed it should be a while. What do you think about cutting it in half? Will it look too silly?

The previous acan lords I put in the tank were frags that weren't really doing well and I just had them collecting dust in my frag tank. These ones are healthier fresher cuts that don't have any tissue damage. I am thinking they will do better. They are staying puffy and responding to food in the tank.

I do like the colour a lot more now. Change is always hard, but I've always ran my tanks closer to 20k and further from 10k. I just don't like the superblue you see lfs where its 7 blue t5'dsand one 50/50 ect.

The regular xenia is almost as purple as the cestipularia which is good in case the sexy finish them off the regular xenia looks close enough. For some reason they never eat that coral..

brandolando4 : The return pump is the 404. I had to take both covers off to fit it and its real tight but it works. The other pump is a zoo meds micropowerhead, I don't remember the exact model but its likely in this thread somewhere.

steve101 : I took 2 pics exact same settings seconds apart so you can see, but keep in mind it's not the still photo i'm looking at, its the hyper shimmer of the live tank.

Osric - it's been a long time since I read those books despite paying $$$ I will check them out, I think I'm missing one, but I'm pretty sure its the second book.

I did not retest the mag yet. I screwed up the testing a couple of times and didn't want to flush the whole kit down the drain in one day. I really bought them for my other tanks, but I do plan on periodically testing this tank now that it's pretty full. At least in the magnesium case it appears water changes are not sufficient to replenish them. It's not a big deal since I'm pretty happy running anywhere from 1100-1500. I figure once a week dosing non religiously will suffice. I might have to alter that if I add a 3rd mangrove.

Alkalinity is the one thing I will have to keep an eye on too. Calcium will never take a hit since coralife mixes to 500+

Here are the pics.

I am also uploading a video I took of the tank today. Everythings much happier and the video came out quite well. I just have to replace the sounds of my chair moving around with a music track..

IMG_7792.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

There is cyclopeeze floating in the water fyi

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only frozen. Freeze dried is junk imo.

I'm not a fan of any dry food in fact. Most of my fish have lived their entire lives never seeing a flake or a pellet.

I do have some freeze dried coral food and I guess there is a tin of pellets somewhere but I prefer frozen over everything else. The only downside is someone has to feed them if I'm away.

i cant seem to find a place that has the frozen cyclop, so i own the FD version. of course it sucks, which is why i dont feed it to anything but fish fry.

Funktastic Wint

i know u probly already said this but is that light from boostled? im very interested in getting one. whats your review on the coloring blues vs. whites?

i know u probly already said this but is that light from boostled? im very interested in getting one. whats your review on the coloring blues vs. whites?

It's from Rapid LED.

Newman I'm surprised even some Big Al's around here seem to be carrying it so its really readily available.

Just find a store that does have it and buy a couple of bars. It takes a while to go through them plus they last a really long time in the freezer anyway.

Where do you live?

Anyway I got some new pics again with my pentax 100mm macro lens. These pics were taken in the afternoon so there is some nice sunlight too. Maybe that's why the white balance finally worked out okay.

A nice bright fts with most of the tank in focus

IMGP8718.JPG

IMGP8682.JPG

These are really looking better under the new lights

IMGP8686.JPG

They don't just eat coral

IMGP8687.JPG

IMGP8688.JPG

IMGP8690.JPG

I'm surprised this sponge is growing so fast. There are other sponges at the back and a lot of the rock I used in this tank was dry only about half was live.

IMGP8701.JPG

IMGP8697.JPG

all looks nice. mushroom starting to bother those palys?

I live in NJ. seriously tho no store carries it and the smallest size im able to buy online goes for $44.

Hi Andrew thanks for the pics, think i prefer it without the filter, and the last lot of pics where the sunlight is shining in is amazing ! the sexy shrimp would bug the hell out of me munching on things, i wont be putting them in my tank lol ! think someone already asked do they hang out on the mini carpet nem ? theres a store selling those mini nems here in the uk now, do you need to feed regular ? what do you feed him ?

i hope i can get my tank half as good as yours, even with a pico tank it still costs a fortchune to stock them lol

thanks

They hang out in there, but not for hours and hours. I was kinda hoping they'd spend more time in there, but any time in there is less time picking at corals. I feed the anemone a bit of shrimp (grocery store) about once a week and sometimes some brine or mysis when I'm feeding the tank in general. It does not need to be fed much. I actually shouldn't be feeding it as I don't want it to get bigger or split but it's a force of habit. I have a bunch of them in other tanks so I usually end up feeding this one at the same time.

Because they are so small they can't really do that much damage. It would be like having a flame angel or some other dwarf that picks in a 200 gallon tank. Sure it may damage some things but it's unlikely to wipe anything out.

Again in photos of course the tank is going to look better then without the diffuser it will be brighter. It's the hyper shimmer I just can't stand. Plus it seems I have my bulb much lower then most people so it might be better for the corals.

If you don't have other tanks to take from then it can cost, but I honestly don't think I've spent a lot on this tank. The most expensive thing was the aussie plate for $30, the sexy shrimp were $7 each, the crabs were about 12-14$ each and I NEVER see them. The anemone was 15$ and I paid $10 for the hammer. Everything else I had prior to this tank.

Wow that's only about $100 so I guess I have done pretty well. Of course many of the other corals did cost me money at one time or another so they weren't exactly free, but weren't purchased solely for this tank.

Man the more and more i see these i can not wait to get one :D

but i just have no clue where im my house id put one

They take up as much room as a Toaster, shouldnt be that hard!

Man the more and more i see these i can not wait to get one :D

but i just have no clue where im my house id put one

On your desk.

They actually take up less room then a toaster if you have a 4 slice.

I like the new rearrangement andrewkw. That yellow sponge is crazy, need to get me one of those. I'm on the edge from buying one of these tanks, its between this and a large ADA.

-_-ok, sorry its been a couple days. I will start my 1st pico tank version 2.0. This has been the best string,and this tank is awesome.

I got my par 30 with 3 blue, 2 white,60 degrees, its freakin awesome! Everyone is coming by my cube sayin, "wt* is that?!?!"

I took someones advise and bought a shop light from homedepot, pulled the shield off, and cliped it on top. Here is a comparision of the 2 leds vs the par 30.. You be the judge. I like the boost.... I like I like.. Now my tank is almost ready for some critters.

post-61791-1294720696_thumb.jpg

post-61791-1294720706_thumb.jpg

Andrew this tank is freakin amazing! Its actually the reason why i am going to get one for my room once i move. I am using the par38 from rapidled on my jbj pico and i absolutely love it. its definitely heavy duty and heavy but the color is awesome and the bulb doesnt really get too hot at all. How close to the surface do you have the bulb? I had to move mine up after about a week becuase the corals started looking unhappy. They are definitely powerful bulbs. Looks awesome though

Andrew....

How high above the tank is your light?

What optics are in the light....

I have an IQ3 but have had some issues with the transformers for the robot LED (something seems to break inside the transformer and the plug doesn't make contact any more)

I plopped my old coralife minilight on the tank with 2 9W CF and the corals look 100% better. I had 2 robot LED's but they didn't seem to quite have enough punch.

I am looking at these lights but I am trying to figure out a way to mount it that passes the wife asthetics test :D

I don't want to flood the room with excess light either.

60 degree optics about 3.5" above the water. I think it might be too much light for my hammer but everything else seems really happy.

60 degree optics about 3.5" above the water. I think it might be too much light for my hammer but everything else seems really happy.

How much light spills in to the room?

What fixture ?

How much light spills in to the room?

What fixture ?

Tons, but I think any light would, if the room lights are on it's not as noticable.

6$ walmart desk lamp.

Archived