Top Shelf Aquatics

Fresh Water Dip

Catspa

dont worry toyfreak..im not going to argue either...im not going to waste my time :)

i did call LFS, and some of the retailers online....and i asked if they do the dip...all stores in my area doesnt do freshwater dip exept 1....thats 17 to 1...and some said that they dont because their wholesaler does it for them... 3 of them wont tell me who the wholesaler is...and i called the others and said that they dont...and only if there are signs of parasites on the fish..

and not all hobbyist (experienced and beginners) dont practice the freshwater dip procedure...or at least not anymore...

so my opinion here is over...i have proven it to myself...but not to everyone, and i dont plan to...

perhaps its just the stores, and wholesaler in my area...and your area does it differently..so i cant argue with you... :)

peace

ok, bit of an update.

My cardinal past away, may he rest in peace.  Not sure what caused his death, can only assume that it was the dip, even though i took three days... or perhaps not.

At anyrate, i personaly have decided not to dip anymore fish, if i can help it, other then those that i know for a fact can handle it, like my "hard as nails" face perc (got a bit of baracuda in him i think).

So, my new recommendations are to NOT dip any of your fish, unless:

(A) Fish is infected by paracite

(B) you suspect the fish is infected, and you already have experience dipping the particular kind of fish - ie like a fake perc. (but keep it under 2 min)

LASTLY - DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT!! DIP ANY TYPE OF CARDINAL! as, eventually, death will likely result!!!

I also have to chime in and say that I do not and will not FW dip.  I will only QT the new/sick fish with a cleaner shrimp, feed a garlic laced diet, and if the parasites (the only thing I have heard the FW dip fights) continue, then remove the shrimp and do a hyposalinety treatment.  This is much less stressful on the fish and doesn't use chemicals.

Archived