ReefCleaners.org

FOTBC's LED propagation station

FishOnTheBrainCoral

FishOnTheBrainCoral

Thank you sir! I wouldnt be complaining about your tanks.. they look pretty damn good as well

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

Sweet looking setup. What kind of filtration are you running. Is that just a regular hob filter. I have one on my daughters 30g cube and plan on adding a hob skimmer soon but things seem to be doing ok with just the hob and some carbon. I am skeptical about adding anything yet other than fish with this set up but whatever your using seems to be doing the job.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

Yeah just a penguin 350 w/o the bio wheels. I would like to get the HOB skimmer/ filter someday. I have to sell a few more corals first :) My 28 didn't run with a skimmer for a long time and I have SPS & LOTS of fish..

FishOnTheBrainCoral

So I went threw some ups and downs since the last time I have updated.

First of all this tank is the proud new owner of some LED's! :bowdown: I had to since eveything was turning brown due to crapy PC's

Now for the rest of the story. I have had my bouts with dyno's...and kicked their ass! I then had a bout with hair algae and am kicking its ass due to manual removal, LOTS of water changes, and and a long spine urchin that is a freaking BEAST! I wish I had gotten ones of these before. I always read that they where bulldozers, however my astreas knock over more then he does. He is cool as hell too.

I did make a huge mistake one day.. I put WAY to much Kaulk in there at once... I made the mistake of filling a 5g bucket for my ATO on another tank added Kaulk to it, filled off the top off like usual. Had a little bit left and as I was walking by I thought "well that one needs it too.....oppps.... I dumped the bottom of the bucket in. I usually mix its own separate gallon however i was lazy! :slap: It burned most everything in there... including my BN I brought back from the dead that I was kinda proud of... However zoas and mushrooms are making a full recovery, mushrooms are still a bit bleached.

Here are some updated pics.. I didn't straighten up house cause I didnt think about it before I took pics. so excuse the tiles scattered about.. I cant find the better camera as well crappy pics.

SANY0077.jpg

SANY0079.jpg

SANY0080.jpg

THE BEAST!!

SANY0078.jpg

FishOnTheBrainCoral
watch outt. i had a "BEAST" once. i ended up stabing it. it killed 3 frags of zoas. just to let you know...

Thanks for the heads up.. I read about them taking out wanted coraline, but not zoas. I keep an eye on him.

It has already taken out nearly all the algae now I feed it a algae wafer once in a while.

FishOnTheBrainCoral
dude nice set up on the frag tank! seriously it looks really good. and a 10g doesn't take up that much room. lol hell its bigger than my display!

Thanks!

LMK if there is anything else in here that you may want as well.

FishOnTheBrainCoral
Wow very nice frag tank!!! makes me wish mine were nicer!!

Thanks! I'll have to take a look at your. You have a thread?

want to buy anything I'm trying to buy more parts for a tank upgrade for this. I picked up the 24x12x8 tank bonsi had up.. :P I have a 4sale thread up right now but most everything him here is negotiable.

• 2 weeks later...
FishOnTheBrainCoral

got my new frag tank today.. I got the one that was posted on here by bonsi. 24x18x8....sexy... I may abandon this thread for new build I'll keep updated.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

So rather then abandoning this thread for another useless one I figured I would just redo this one a bit.

The tank is now a 24x12x8 advanced acrylic tank with an external overflow built in.

I took the 10g I had and made it a sump. I plan on trying something a bit different as far as sump goes. I am going to use xenia for nutrient export to see what happens. If it fails oh well I throw in some Macro's..

Flow is a 400gph pump going from the sump and I belive that it will be all the flow I am going to use for now. I like it. Seems to be strong enough for all.

Lighting is my 20" Coralife fixture that I retro fit 7 RB and 7 CW cree LED's into on separate dim-able drivers. Makes it nice and easy to aclimate new corals.

now for PIC's excuses the cloudiness I just swapped everything over to this about 20min before pics.

Some things still not open yet.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

FishOnTheBrainCoral

Bunch of new pic! man I love being able to adjust between blues and whites! ENJOY!

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

9H.jpg

8G.jpg

7F.jpg

6E.jpg

5D.jpg

3C.jpg

2B.jpg

1A.jpg

most of this stuff was under the PC's for a while so it browned out quite a bit. Since the new LED's colors on the zoas have come back considerably, but they still have a way to come compared to my main tank.

I have noticed after looking back at a couple pics from when I first put the new light on that a few monti caps have bleached a bit. Since that has happened I have dimmed it down a bit.

The tank is all cleared up since the last FTS. I may put one up later today.

Let me know what you all think.

Oh, I also am really excited to see how these browned out turds turn out. I picked them up a couple days ago.

(they have the hornet ring..)

IMG_0313.jpg

Hard to see in that pic..

FishOnTheBrainCoral

New FTS with the light hanging.. Much cleaner look and I can get in and out easier.

All white LED only

IMG_0317.jpg

All blue LED only

IMG_0319.jpg

Now full white & blue..

IMG_0318.jpg

I really could spend all day just playing with the settings between the blues and whites.

I was thinking about adding 1-RED and 1-cyan or UV..not sure on that yet. I was wondering your opinions on what string I should add it to.. whites, blues, or both. If both would you put red on white or blue string? Anyone with any expertise in this field please chime in.

holy crap dude your frag tank is awesome! seriously wow! if i understand right isn't uv light what makes corals produce their flouresence so add something to stimulate the production of those proteins would be good? i don't know, but it'd be a cool experiment... mabe 1 uv bulb over a corner to have a test area is in order. and i think that a red or cyan would look pretty cool once you got it balanced in. anyways great job!

FishOnTheBrainCoral

How am I going to do that I already have to many plugs and I dont want to add one or two more for red & cyan

Couldn't you use something like an arduino board a larger AC adaptor and combine 3 drivers over the board to that single power adaptor.

By the way your setup is looking really clean.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

Yeah I prob could do something like that... My LED knowledge is limited to this one fixture. I'll have to do some research.

Thank you for the idea.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

The more I do to this tank now that I have a bit more knowledge in reefing, I realize more and more that my frag tank is far more sophisticated & high tech then my display tank. Hanging light, LED, built in external overflow, Its kinda sad really. Especially since I was thinking of putting my RKL on it instead...

Archived