Coral Vue Hydros

Mr.corals coral.

coolwaters

coolwaters

the packs that mr.coral has are extremely good value.

even if a lot of them down make it...

my first pack was acans and sps. there was a frag of over 6 nice full heads (along with half ones) something like that would have cost me the price of the whole pack at my LFS.

sadly i only have 3 of the 6 acans left (2 of which died from a ammonia spike)

lost only 1 sps from shipping.

the second pack was full of zoas and palys.

all the palys survived and 4 of zoas didnt open and just melted.

i've got to post pics. the surviving ones are growing nicely.

i got 22 frags coming this morning. and i want to dedicate this thread to them.

i hope they all make it this time.

cant wait to make money off them =)

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coolwaters

yeah i was just kidding about making money off them =P

probably most likely trade if not DBTC.

it just came in 10 mins ago.

the bag was pretty cold.

and there was a leak. i guess the knot doesnt help very much for such a thick bag.

the main bag that held all the small bags with frags in them was filled pretty good.

its looking kind of grim to be honest. but i remain optimistic

sadly i only have 3 of the 6 acans left (2 of which died from a ammonia spike)

lost only 1 sps from shipping.

the second pack was full of zoas and palys.

all the palys survived and 4 of zoas didnt open and just melted.

Um, that's a bit weird actually, were they healed up frags when they'd arrived?

coolwaters
Um, that's a bit weird actually, were they healed up frags when they'd arrived?

i think it healed up about a week and then he shipped them out.

wow that was stressful getting them into the tank. mainly from the sheer number of frags.

22 (i bought 2 extras)

their all accounted for. each has 3 or more polyps as promised.

some actually are showing life (the palys go figure.)

i hope the 2 heads of dendro survive. their receded in the skeleton pretty good.

heres a pic off all the frags. (btw the frag that is upside down has nothing on it. too lazy to take it out..might glue something on it later)

IMG_0704.jpg

only 2 fell off. going to find some super glue and get them back on.

u cant see some of them because of the angle.

can anyone spot the hitchhiker?

IMG_0705.jpg

Hello I am a new guy, been reading almost every post..haha, and learning more everyday. I ordered from mr. coral 3 times so far. All of my frags are doing great and growing fast, except the dendro I received 2 weeks ago. It is slowly starting to extend, but not enough to catch any food on its own. It gets bathed in mysis juice every other day. (which is not very fun since my tank is only 3 months old and I am worried about algae break-outs.) I also had some zoas fall off their frag mounts and a fair share came with the normal hitch hikers. I was lucky enough to spot aiptasia and super glue it in its hole before it spread. I hope all your frags survive! Good luck!

I got a dendro from there also. It took almost 2 weeks for the mouths to come to the edge of the skeleton. When I got it I thought it was dead. The best way to deal with this guy is to get a specimen container that can hang on the tank like most LFS use. Fill it with water and hang it on the inside of the tank above the waterline. Put the dendro in and feed it. After about 15 minutes put some shrimp on top of the tube. Do this every other day and before long I think the polyps will be out. Discard the water when you are done. This will keep the tank from getting to dirty from trying to feed it. Once the polyps are out you may be able to abandon this tactic. On a side note, my $20 paly polyp melted away also. I thought I was getting at least 5 polyps. Their frags are small, but what do you expect when you get free shipping at $125.

coolwaters

mr.coral said he would replace them if they melted away.

im not sure if this is true though.

about half of the coral are showing signs of life.

one of the green hornet is open so im excited. looks super nice.

im going to move the open ones closer to the light 2morrow.

rearranging everything 2morrow.

my 2 duncan colony is taking up a lot of room. thinking about selling one of them.

can anyone spot the hitchhiker?

You talkin bout the nudi?

sorry man...:) had to.

coolwaters
You talkin bout the nudi?

sorry man...:) had to.

scared me for a second there O.o

some are probably just fraged.

because the cuts are too white to be old.

should be ok though.

im at a shortage of Blue LEDs...

coolwaters
i see a starfish is that it? ;)

lol yeah.

i dont think it'll make it since my tank is overrun with micro brisstle starfishes.

but we'll see. like this one better though =/

I've had somewhat similar results. Got a zoa pack a while back and I think 3 of the 10 didn't make it, one only had a single polyp open before dieing off, the others went a little while but didn't pull through. I FW dipped all of them and took them mostly off the frag plugs to mount on my rocks. I also got a bit of a zoa pox outbreak on some zoas which had been in the tank previously, that could be unrelated though so I'm not about to accuse them of anything. In the end though, the price was still good for the frags that made it, i've got more than a few frags which have doubled or more in number of heads in just a couple of months and ended up with some really neat colors.

Despite the issues with the zoa pack, I bit on an SPS frag pack from them only a couple weeks ago. Everything arrived looking great, I did a 'reef dip' dip and dropped them into my tank. All of them looked fine in the first couple of weeks, but just a few days ago I lost one of the acros to RTN (or at least, it went from healthy to completely white in about 15 hours, so I assume it was RTN) in the middle of the highest flow area of the tank. Could be unrelated, makes me somewhat uneasy about quality and I don't think they give frags much time to heal, the glue and frag plugs always look 100% new, but at the same time for the price I got a great bunch of frags. I got a few with awesome colors and everything seems to be doing well despite the loss.

Overall I would still say they're worth it, but not without their caveats.

briansbelle

be careful with asterena starfish, some have been known to eat zoas... i have some in my tank and i have a pretty big one in my sump...i just keep an eye on them and if i see them on my zoas i pick them off and throw them out...i have a few thousand dollars worth of zoas so i dont really wanna lose them to little starfish :haha:

lol yeah.

i dont think it'll make it since my tank is overrun with micro brisstle starfishes.

but we'll see. like this one better though =/

coolwaters

out of 22 frags only 4 hasnt opened. but i know they really want to.

my orange and green hornets are doing ok. hope they grow fast.

i need to re-frag them onto bigger disk. the zoas from my last pack are growing off the plugs already.

out of 22 frags only 4 hasnt opened. but i know they really want to.

my orange and green hornets are doing ok. hope they grow fast.

i need to re-frag them onto bigger disk. the zoas from my last pack are growing off the plugs already.

I have ordered zoas once and lps once. The lps were fine, but the zoas was a disgrace.

BTW how do you guys get zoas to grow so fast. Mine are 2-3 months and I don't see anything new on them.

coolwaters
I have ordered zoas once and lps once. The lps were fine, but the zoas was a disgrace.

BTW how do you guys get zoas to grow so fast. Mine are 2-3 months and I don't see anything new on them.

LED lights and good water =)

just make sure they get good amount of light but not too much or they'll melt.

LED lights and good water =)

just make sure they get good amount of light but not too much or they'll melt.

Mine are in a 20g long with 6x24w t5. I have tried them all over the tank. I, about once or twice a week, feed

them some kent phytoplex.

Mine are in a 20g long with 6x24w t5. I have tried them all over the tank. I, about once or twice a week, feed

them some kent phytoplex.

Hmm, that sounds pretty solid. I think suspension type foods help because they will catch a few, while it can be hard to get them to eat mysis and stuff (though they will try). How old are the bulbs and how long is your photoperiod? It definitely depends on the variety, and i've got some which grow much slower than others, but I've had some mohawks since early march (two polyp frag, one polyp damaged in transit and hid after a day) which have spread to almost 2 square inches and dozens of polyps since then. I'm running 36W of T5 over a 7.5G, but I feed freeze dried phyto and rotifers fairly regularly... maybe the meatier option helps. Also my photoperiod is VERY long at 13 hours on (and some zoas have still stretched beyond an inch and a half tall).

Don't waste your money on bottled phyto (except DT's phyto it is usually good). But even DT's is fairly useless in our tanks unless we know for sure we have phyto-consuming corals. Most of our corals do not care for phyto.

Clams, yes. But a bottle of phyto is so $$$$ and unnecessary unless you have very young clams.

chucktdbm321

ive gotten one frag pack and i have been to his store several times. All of my zoas are growing like crazy and off the plugs.

If any of you guys live near MD its worth the trip he has so many more corals there then what he does online its crazy i have some pics in my 15gal of some of the zoas

coolwaters

4 of them arent looking so hot and another 4 isnt doing so good.

everything else seems to be doing very well.

the dendro is coming back i left crushed pellets on top of them and they went for it.

Archived