SaltCritters.com

6 Gallon Nano Idiot

lawdoginc

Hey Lawdog...That is a nice looking set-up. While I agree with the idea of that being too many fish, I don't agree with the deliberate flaming of a guy who asked an honest question. I think most everyone here will agree...the purpose of the board is to help others grow and learn in the hobby, and preserve the life we all love and dedicate our time and money to. I think that there are too many people who love to just pile on when someone is honestly just asking for help. Shame on all of you who once were a beginner yourself, and have been successful because of the KIND advise of others on this or other boards, yet can't wait to slam the door on someone elses hand who probably made the same mistake you did at one time. I can't believe you're trying to help because by flaming someone you're discouraging them from asking in the future. Totally contradictory to the purpose of the board. Once again...Shame on you.

For those who honestly tried to help this person, congratulations and well done. You are upholding the very nature of the board and the hobby.

Now, back to the question...If you want to keep ALL of the fish, then I'd recommend a larger system. However, you probably purchased a small tank for a reason...If you want my opinion, I feel that none (remember, I'm not picking on you!) of the fish you have are OK for 6 gallons. If you must have the 6 gallon system I'd return them and opt for 1 small species of clown like a percula or skunk and maybe a small goby species like a neon or clown goby.

Regarding the lights...changing the NO bulb for a 32 or 36 watt PC will give you a great boost. Then you can keep some of the photosynthetic corals like shrooms, star polyps and maybe even a leather or xenia. If you have the space, a 20gal system greatly increases the lighting you can pack in, and the space for an additional fish. I like the 20 because of the increased tank length. I have a 15g tall that is tough to light because it's only 18" long. I just ordered 2x36w PCs to put on it, but I prefer 55w. It's what I use at home, and love it on my 50g. That tank has 275w of PC lighting and is doing great. Whatever you do, don't let the childish behavior of some keep you from using the board and getting the help you want. Good luck!

I would love a 20 or 30 gallon but I prefer an all in one kind of elegant set up. I have always loved Marine fish and for years browsed pet stores being fascinated by them but never taking the leap. When I saw the eclipse six I was encouraged by its all in one design and figured I couldn't screw it up too bad. (I guess I did any way) But alas I fell in love with the small tank and fell into the just one more thing syndrome. I care for all the creatures in it and would not be trying to learn if I didn't. I guess I will take the yellow striped Maroon and Pygmy angel back until I have the resources to provide them with a better home. I have another post about the best all in one systems (Uniquarium ETC.) I would appreciate advice and will set about buying a better system. I just need it to be simple, I have read alot about guys who retrfit this and fabricate that but I do not have that ability. Thanks for takink the time to reply, even those that were a little harsh

Well I can tell ya now its not gonna look elegant when all fish are dead and your tank crashes. Why punish those fish to a too small area? Would you like to live in a closet your whole life?

Daniel

lawdoginc

It's funny...The simplicity of your 6 gal system is the same as a 20 or 30 gallon Actually the eclipse is using technology that is unnecessary for success in a reef system. To be healthy, all you need is sand, LR, lighting, and water movement. With frequent water changes you don't even need a skimmer (in my opinion). You are inquiring regarding upgrading lighting...It is very simple to install PC lighting, or purchase a ready made unit for the tank. One other thing...the 6 gal eclipse likely cost more than a 20gal tank would have. I think you're decision is wise regarding the returns, but you may be able to work out a deal where the LFS will hold them while you get the 20/30 and set it up. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

POST UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

I have suffered the errors of my ways....

Well, my 7 gallon alife has been completely wiped out. All of my beautiful fish have gone to a better place. i find myself getting ready to start over again with much help from my fellow nana-reefers. I have kept the 9 pounds of live rock and my live sand bed. I will berform a 100% water change and see what the levels look like. I am thinking that the cycle should not take very long due to the fact that the rocks and sand are still in place. Any other advice let me know. I will be consulting with you guys throughout the process.

Lawdog

Just thought that I would share the ending.

Gil

i think choosing the right fish for a nano is about the most important thing. i have limited myself to gobies and blennies. with maybe 1 clown in the future.

but to just throw something out there, a friend of mine that but his 7gal bow on here and everyone ooed and ahhed at it has a damsel and a false perc in his and they have been fine for over a year together. i too have 2 fish in a 6gal. a clown goby and a bicolor blennie. i think the size and the type of fish is important. blennies and gobies don't do alot of free swimming like a angel so aggresiveness between species is lessened.

i really like the maroon clowns my self and was thinking of one for my rose BTA in my 18gal nano. but after reading about how large they get and aggresive(they actually will bite you for getting near there anemone). i decide to stick to a percula .

welcome to the board, and don't get any SPS for that tank stick with the softies and a few LPS

• 1 month later...

I got a sea light by custom sealife

1-9 watt ultra actinic

1-27 watt 6700k daylight

came with reflector,2 cords for sep. on and off times ballast .water cover and only( 8.5" X 6.5" X 2" ) fits my eclips sys 6 !

Archived