Pod Your Reef

6 Gallon Nano Idiot

lawdoginc

I have a 6 Gallon Eclipse nano reef and am using just the light that came with it. I just found this most excellent site and after doing some reading am thinking I should upgrade the lighting but I have no idea how or with what. I also think it might be overstocked but all has been going well for 4 months. I have in it:

1 Yellow Tail Damsel

1 Maroon Clown

1Blue legged hermit

1 pygmy angel

1 Peppermint shrimp

1 tubeworm

1 organ pipe coral

7 pounds of fiji live rock

I add Coral Vital Daily and a pinch of Kent PH buffer

Everything looks good know but any advice would be appreciated.

sounds pretty good! i think you may be pushing the bioload on that biowheel though. but since your pipe organ coral seems fine, what the heck do i know?:P

i had the eclipse six too on my first nano, it's a good system. the one thing i disliked about it was the hood. i ended up chopping away half of it to accomodate a protein skimmer and ripping out the light to put in a csl sealight (27w x 9w) for the corals and clam. you can replace the 9w with a 13w, same ballast powers both. welcome and good luck!;)

If the old lighting is that 15 watt incandescent crap, change it! You can retrofit the old hood with some new lights at ahsupply or hellolights

If you want to keep many corals healthy, for goodness sake upgrade to powercompacts!!!

Oh, and welcome to the board.

definately too many fish. at least get rid of the angel. i am suprised the damsel isn't pestering eveybody all to hell. everything else sounds good. your right, you prolly want to add more light. welcome to nano-reef.com!

NanoReefer53

Angel and clown gotta go. Just not enough room for everyone, let alone, one. It's like living in a bathroom all your life when they grow up.

Lunchbucket

no really if you are serious i will help but if this is a joke or a ploy by someone...

really WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY TOO MUCH BIOLOAD. heck you can't cram 50 clowns in a VW beetle. if you want a fish only tank you will have to get way bigger than a 6gal. personally i would have to really think about putting 1 fish in a 6 let alone the 3 that you have!!!!!!

Lunchbucket

NaNO ReeFiN

With everything that's been going on on the boards lately, I'm not quite sure whether this is a "true post" but like everyone else here have said, remove the angel and clown. You should only have one fish in a tank that size.

Be wary of anyone who has aquiesced to your set-up. It is a disaster waiting to happen. An angel in a 6 gallon? I regret putting one in a well established 28 gallon. I shouldn't have, too small, these are definately not nano fish... And the maroon? Definately not, those things get really big... Not your typical clowns.

Gaber

Before you get rid of the fish, Please take a picture of your current setup so that I can see what it looks like to have that many fish crammed into such a small space, And so that I may laupgh and have something to keep me entertained when I am bored and have nothing else to do.

OKAY...I cant hold it back anymore....... It says in your profile that your birthday is "December 31, 1969" now... How can anyone that is as old as you, Be so unwise...Seriously, How did you figure that many fish in a 6 Gallon tank would be good, Didnt you do any reasearch?! Every SW Fish book I have ever read would go against even half that many fish in your size tank...Even the worst LFS in the world wouldnt tell you that would be OK......Jeezus...I gota go

Guest LudavicoTechnique

X) Do'h!

Yes, that is a lot of fish for such a small tank. Where did they let you buy that many fish for a six gallon with incandescent lighting? What store was it. Tell us all so we can avoid it.

Take at least 2 of those fish back to your dealer, or all three will most likely die.

hey, easy with the age comments there you whipper-snappers! :woot:

lawdog's tank's four months old so however it's holding the bioload, LR, LS, or the wheel, the fact is that it is. you changing water everyday lawdog? how long have you had each fish?

if you're even thinking of photosynthetic inverts though, the lights HAVE to be upgraded to the pc's at least. check the nitrate levels too. because irregardless of the bio-filtration i'm willing to bet they're hovering around 30~40. i'm just shocked his pipe organ is not dead. :sick:

The six gallon eclipse has been going for four months and I have never lost a fish. The Damsel is the origional one I used to cycle the tank along with a 2 pound chunk of live rock. the pygmy angel was a brand new addition (week old) and I had second thoughts when I purchased it. I change a gallon of water a week. I have been thinking of buying a uniquarium 12 gallon and moving everything to that. I really love all the specimens I have in there and would rather get a better set up then take anything back. The uniquarium has the power compact lighting that will be an improvement. If you guys want to have a little fun at my expense that is fine, but I am trying to learn so constructive criticism would be more appreciated. I tried to put a picture in but it keeps saying my file is to big.

Im not gonna flame you. Yes there may be a cpl to many fish in there. As far as the light goes ya can put a 32 watt retro kit in there and shouldnt have a problem as long as there is ample air circulating inder it to keep it cool. Welcome to the board.

Jeff

Demosthenes

Well, I'm sorry to tell you, but I don't think that the 12-gallon will be big enough for them. Take back the Angel, as they need at least a 20, actually more. I think that the Damsel and the Clown should be okay in the Uniquarium. Make sure the wattage and Kelvin are properly rated to keep the corals which you choose to keep. Also make sure that the CRI rating is 85+, for aesthetic purposes only. GL with your Nano, and welcome to the board.

PS I'm newer to the Nano Hobby than you are, but it sure is fun.

Lunchbucket

sorry man but you would need like a 25 or more gallon for that angel (IMO) and at least a 12gal for the damsel and the clown...WITH NO OTHER FISH.

how much LR do you have now?

how big is your marroon? he looks tiny in that tiny tank. where are the other fish? could we have more pics??

ask any ?'s you need to :D WELCOME

Lunchbucket

hey, why don't you setup a 20,25, or 30 gallon? you can keep everything you have now, plus get a new lighting system and load it up with corals.:)

yeah, these young dogs snipe a bit don't they? :P

it's a pygmy angel, right? i'm also jumping on the wagon to dump the angel but for a different reason. i don't trust angels around the inverts. if you're going to go invert reef then dump the angel. otherwise your setup's fine as is. i think we're all waiting for your bio-filter to have a hernia but hey it's working right?

get a 15H or 20H and you should be fine. the tall tanks are good for a more realistic reef look. welcome to the board of directors! :blush:

"If you guys want to have a little fun at my expense that is fine, but I am trying to learn so constructive criticism would be more appreciated."

okay, ill be the one set this off!!

learning is good, and in this hobby, not alot of stuff thats said is true..its all based on hobbyist's opinions and experiences. so probably 80 percent of the criticism here is BS. and could be mine too...

just like you, everybody else here are learning things everyday, but some knows best to avoid the harsh comments by reading/researching about a subject before doing something. like buying fish, corals, aquarium, and most important how to care for them.

Its a common problem that some hobbyist buys stuff then reaserch and read about it after..

and my point is.... if you knew how big an angel and a maroon clown gets. i think you can picture it on your own how they would look like in a 6 gallon, and if you also knew how agressive a damsel is, i think you would know best to reaserch if its okay to add an angel and a moroon in it...see where im getting here?

i didnt say that its imposible to have all those, just not in a small tank, we all recommend that you get a bigger tank if you like it...i personally recommend a tank bigger than 40 for that angel.

just remember that i dont hate you, and dont ever plan to make an enemy of you.. im just trying to state a point in a reasonable way and of course, I, like everybody else here would like to help and see you stay in this hobby being succesful in the long run...

thats why we give our opinions :)

have fun and good luck,

mike

NaNO ReeFiN

Nice looking set up dog.

Before you get upset at our posts, you should read the boards a little more... it's nothing against you, it's just the way we post. :o

Hello, and welcome to the board. :)

I agree with the others that there is simply too many fish in that tank.

For one thing, they are most likely juveniles now and so the bio-load on that tank may be at the limits, but as they get older and grow, the bio-load will certainly get higher.

Either get a 30G tank at least of get rid of the angel and the clown fishes--its best for the fishes and the tank.

Hope you arent bothered too much about the responses. I guess alot of us here are very passionate about the hobby and in attempt to get our message across when someone maybe doing something wrong, it does comes out a little harsh.

So; good luck with the tank. Hopefully you'll have sorted out some of the potential problems.

Archived