Top Shelf Aquatics

Another 5.5 Gallon Pico

echopiece

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I am hoping the LR gets encrusted with some nice purple coralline. So far, I only have the green stuff going on. In my 34 gal, the rock exploded in a matter of weeks. Hopefully this will in time?

I hope so! From my experience, the really brite green patches turn into purple in a matter of days. This rock has been like this for weeks lol. We shall see...

The tank itself is about a year old. The LR is two months old. It was purchased already cured, but I cured it again for 1 month, and it has been in the tank for a month. I bought it online and unfortunately, it had a lot of die off.

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious, are vermetid tubes/worms caused from excess feeding? They are popping up everywhere and its starting to get annoying! Other than super gluing them shut, are there any know predators for these pests?

perhaps excess food in the water? idk I had two of them arrive on a zoa frag and after about a month they got really annoying so i took out the frag and scraped those two tubes off. im guessing i got the snails inside cuz they dont seem to be regrowing :P

and theyre snails btw xD

• 1 month later...

Small update: The tank is doing really well minus a few corals that are behaving strangely. I bought these green button polyps about 3 months ago and they looked great! Now they are all closed up and hardly show themselves. Almost like they look wilted. Nothing is coming in contact with this coral. I check params last night and everything checked out spot on. Ca = 440, Mg = 1360, dKH = 8.5, Ph = 8.3, Nitrates and Phosphates = 0. I have been doing a little more than 30% water change a week. I once skipped a week and the corals never looked happier. Maybe I am changing too much water, too frequently? The bioload in the tank is very small. The only thing I have right now is a few vermitid snails. However, I dont see any around this coral.

Any ideas?

Original Pic:

gpolyp1.jpg

Recent Pic:

gpolyp2.jpg

So for my Birthday I decided to treat myself to 12 new corals. At this point they are just scattered around the tank. I will rearrange them in a few days.

p1120856y.jpg

p1120855e.jpg

p1120858.jpg

p1120863.jpg

p1120864.jpg

p1120866b.jpg

• 6 months later...
Builder Anthony

I also have a 5 gallon tank i started a month ago.I think there nice because water changes are so easy.I never seen a real nice acan in any petstore.I mean i see nice pictures all the time but never any nice reds or blues.I like that red one you got.I think you have a zoa clony i was impressed with but my petsotre guy wanted 30 dollarss for 2 polyps.Its a dark like redish purple.Anywyas nice design i dont have a overflow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished installing a 70W fishneedit metal halide, with the stock 20K bulb over my 5.5g. Corals are still getting used to the new light. The stock 20K bulb looks more like a 14K, but is still fairly nice and is VERY bright! Temp hasnt been an issue yet. I moved my fan a few inches closer and everything seems ok. Hoping to get a few new SPS corals in there now. Transferred my chaeto from the DT into my first chamber for a cleaner look.

It took me a few days to figure out how to install the light, as the supplied arms that clamp onto the side of the tank are pretty much useless. Soldered up some 3/4 copper tube and drilled it into the back of my dresser mirror! Needless to say, the wife was not too happy about that part - :mellow: Overall, I am very happy with this new light and do not have any complaints thus far.

p1130089.jpg

p1130103.jpg

p1130104.jpg

p1130112.jpg

Video:

Builder Anthony

It looks like you have the same 5.5 gallon tank i have from petco.Be careful with that thing.I broke 1 trying to clean it with a towel real hard right before adding water to make sure it was super clean and i broke another one that had like sand and cycling water with a hemet that droped on the floor.Mines all the way full now maybe it was a problem with no water but with things set up now i am extremly careful around it.I also noticed i scrathed mine easily with a max float but i think there was some sand on it when i did it.None the less i think the grade of glass used on these isnt the greatest.Id keep a bucket of used water change water in a bucket around in case you bump it and it breaks.Maybe you have a differnt tank im not sure.Nice work though.

It looks like you have the same 5.5 gallon tank i have from petco.Be careful with that thing.I broke 1 trying to clean it with a towel real hard right before adding water to make sure it was super clean and i broke another one that had like sand and cycling water with a hemet that droped on the floor.Mines all the way full now maybe it was a problem with no water but with things set up now i am extremly careful around it.I also noticed i scrathed mine easily with a max float but i think there was some sand on it when i did it.None the less i think the grade of glass used on these isnt the greatest.Id keep a bucket of used water change water in a bucket around in case you bump it and it breaks.Maybe you have a differnt tank im not sure.Nice work though.

I have had it for a few years now. You just have to be careful, the glass is super thin on these small tanks. Never had any issues (keeping fingers crossed).

Is that a regular 5.5 glass tank? Did you create the baffle? Did you spray paint the refugium/sump part of the baffle black or was it already black? How did you attach the baffle? Use silicone?

Great looking tank!

Yes, its a standard 5.5 glass tank from Petco. Yes I created the baffle, 4" off the one side. Yes, painted one side of each piece with black krylon. And yes, I used silicone to secure everything. Look back on page 1 of this thread for more details.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm starting to stock my tank with some SPS and recently bought a 1.5" maxima clam. I am under the impression that I should upgrade the stock fishneedit bulb. Question is, will the ushio 20k 70w be an improvement to what I have? It's hard to find par numbers for these 70w bulbs. Any oher brands I should consider? And should I go with 14k to get a better output? Currently I'm not supplementing actinic on this tank, hence the choice for 20k. Any info would be appreciated!

Archived