ReefCleaners.org

Bubble tip anemone

Gazchap

Is it OK to place this in the sand by a live rock? I first attached it to the top of one of my live rocks but it has twice either fallen or detached itself.

post-52279-1275134960_thumb.jpg

post-52279-1275135022_thumb.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a sebae anemone not a bubble tip to me but to your question now.

Yes it will be fine on the sand .. it will move and get comfortable on its own. If it fell it probably was never happy and just stayed detached.

Yeah think you're right about it being a sebae. I'll leave it in the sand for now and see how it goes. Bought it to stop my two clowns trying to host my zoas. They've yet to convert but it's early days.

oddly enough I have read of instances where people tape pictures of clowns hosting anemone's to get theirs to host in their tanks... and it has worked!

This according to internet fodder so results are in no way definative..LOL

cheryl jordan

I believe it is actually a bubble tip, the column gives it away. Sebae have a leathery looking column, that appears to be a purple based Entacmaea quadricolor. A picture of the base would help but I think that is what it is.

Do not attempt to move it, it will go where is wants to go and trying to keep it in one area will result in its death, typically the BTA prefer rocks.

That anemone is very badly bleached, and will require good lighting and feedings for it to recover, and it can recover quit nicely if the proper lighting and food is administered.

Either way a Sebae should be cream or tan in color, and a BTA reddish or green.

Good luck, Cheryl ;)

Bleached? Really? I feel bad now. It seems OK, opening and closing and reacting to stimulus etc...

reef keeper

Hey Gazchap, +1 for what cheryl said and for the clowns hosting it just give them time my clowns took a few months till they hosted then my other pair took a day. Is your clowns wild cought or tank raised?

Hey Reef Keeper, I'm well, you? My two clowns are tank raised. I'm not worried about them not hosting yet - I know it takes a long time.

I'm more concerned now about the apparant bleaching. I feel a bit of a fool for not realising this when I saw it in the LFS I always use [reputable]. I assumed it was simply a good flourescent yellow colour. It was being hosted by clowns in the LFS. Its colour is certainly not white.

I target fed yesterday and it seems OK. My educated guess is that, at the moment, it is simply getting used to the aquarium conditions, in terms of it moving etc.

As I say, it reacts well to stimulus, does not have a gaping mouth [that I can tell] and opens and closes frequently enough.

It's just the bleaching suggestion has now played on the worrying side of my personality.

cheryl jordan
Hey Reef Keeper, I'm well, you? My two clowns are tank raised. I'm not worried about them not hosting yet - I know it takes a long time.

I'm more concerned now about the apparant bleaching. I feel a bit of a fool for not realising this when I saw it in the LFS I always use [reputable]. I assumed it was simply a good flourescent yellow colour. It was being hosted by clowns in the LFS. Its colour is certainly not white.

I target fed yesterday and it seems OK. My educated guess is that, at the moment, it is simply getting used to the aquarium conditions, in terms of it moving etc.

As I say, it reacts well to stimulus, does not have a gaping mouth [that I can tell] and opens and closes frequently enough.

It's just the bleaching suggestion has now played on the worrying side of my personality.

You can not do anything about that now, just make sure you have good lighting and water quality, and try some shrimp, scallops or silver sides. Shrimp as in the uncooked type from the seafood section at the store.

As I said it has a good chance of recovery, if the mouth begins gaping as in staying open and getting larger then you should worry.

Oh and a fish store will pretty much sell you anything and everything, it is a business.

Cheryl

reef keeper

Im doing good.

I've had tank raised and wild clownfish and i found that wild ones are quicker to host anemones.

First and foremost, if you have an anemone that will not stop moving, you must remove it from your tank. This is a sign of sure death. An anemone will stop moving once it has found a preferred spot, and will stay, usually for the remainder of its life. The movement should stop within the first week. Another sign of ill-health is a loose mouth. There should only be a small gap in the lips and they should appear pursed. Another typical sign is a stringy appearance. None of these signs can be overlooked. The most common problem is bleaching, usually Entacmaea quadricolor (Bubble Tip Anemones) exhibit this. Bleaching is when an anemone expels its zooxanthellae and loses all color, due to insufficient light. This can be overcome, and repaired over time through increased lighting and near daily feedings. The second most common problem is dyed anemones, usually Heteractis crispa (Sebae Anemone). Dyed anemones have been injected with a liquid dye that will wear off over time. Again, supplemental feeding is a must to help this anemone pull through. Please avoid these dyed specimens when you select your anemones. Found this online heres link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16994868

Arrgh. I feel awful now.

I always strive to keep water good, that's a basic. Will feed it again when I get home from work. Also have some pictures of it's mouth that I took yesterday. Will post these so you can tell me what you think.

cheryl jordan
Arrgh. I feel awful now.

I always strive to keep water good, that's a basic. Will feed it again when I get home from work. Also have some pictures of it's mouth that I took yesterday. Will post these so you can tell me what you think.

Do not feel awful we have all done the same thing regardless if weather people admit it.

Just do the best you can, live and learn and you may have a beautiful anemone to show for it. :)

Cheers Cheryl. And to think I only posted on here to get opinions about placement...

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

One other thing - do you think the bubble tip looks sick from the pictures? You can just about see its mouth in the photo on the left...

One other thing - do you think the bubble tip looks sick from the pictures? You can just about see its mouth in the photo on the left...

Its mouth looks a little open to me from the picture on the left. I have heard mixed things with bleached anemones. Some people claim to have success bringing them back to health while other claim that they will live for 6 months while slowly starving to death.

If it was me I would keep a close eye on it. At this point giving it back to the fish store will most likely not save it because they are the ones ordering and selling bleached anemones. With proper water conditions, alot of light and alot of feedings you have a chance to bring it back to health. Getting your clowns (assuming they are not maroons :D ) to host the anemone will probably help it recover. This will most likely be a long road but might as well give it a shot. If it works you will have a sweet looking anemone for a long time to come.

reef keeper

Gazchap just like cheryl said we live we learn i think all of us had some trouble with coral or fish or anemones at some time.

I still feel foolish for thinking it was just a nice colour, rather than there being a problem. But, as with all inhabitants of my reef, I will do my very best to improve and maintain its health.

Seen that you got some great advice here already..

I'm still torn on the type of anem it is... but here is a great site for more info on Anemones hope it is helpful. At any rate keep in mind that while it is possible to keep a nem in a tank that isn't mature - it can be difficult. You will need to ensure not only that you keep excellent water quality but that you maintain a stable tank as well. Fluctuations in parameters can cause the nem to wander / stress and could cause harm to itself and other tank inhabitants.

I still feel foolish for thinking it was just a nice colour, rather than there being a problem. But, as with all inhabitants of my reef, I will do my very best to improve and maintain its health.

I wouldnt feel too bad. People make honest mistakes in this hobby ... its a part of the learning experience. As far as the anemone was concerned, it would have died at the LFS and has the best chance of living with you or someone like you whos going to whatever possible to help it survive.

It has now moved to face the back of the tank, which is frustrating as I can't really see it's mouth and it's difficult to target feed properly. I tried it just now with Marine cuisine and it folded up slightly a few times slowly, in what I think is its attempt to eat/swallow the food. I'll just have to leave it where it is and maintain this process. Was planning on feeding a small amount each day.

cheryl jordan

It actually looks alot better in the pictures taken today, so it I believe it is acclimating.

Now that I see a picture of the column I believe it is a BTA or a Condylactis gigantea. A Sebae has prominent adhesive verrucae on the column I do not see that at all in your pictures.

Just let the amenone settle where it wants for now and keep feeding it small feedings.

Cheryl

It actually looks alot better in the pictures taken today, so it I believe it is acclimating.

Now that I see a picture of the column I believe it is a BTA or a Condylactis gigantea. A Sebae has prominent adhesive verrucae on the column I do not see that at all in your pictures.

Just let the amenone settle where it wants for now and keep feeding it small feedings.

Cheryl

Maybe I havent seen alot of anemones but I have never seen such a bleached BTA before in my life haha! I feel like its common to see sebaes bleached but never btas. Kinda sad that a LFS would sell this to someone knowingly and keep accepting shipments of animals in this condition.

I wouldnt feel too bad. People make honest mistakes in this hobby ... its a part of the learning experience. As far as the anemone was concerned, it would have died at the LFS and has the best chance of living with you or someone like you whos going to whatever possible to help it survive.

ITs a Bubble tip. Your clown will host it, just let them do it. You will wake up one day and they will be in their. But the Bubble tip will move def around in your tank. They are hard to keep happy with water quality, the right area to fit their foot, lighting. Have fun. Dont get frustrated.

Archived