Pod Your Reef

Bubble tip anemone

Gazchap

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen Wet web Media. Many thanks. To be honest chaps, I've read so many different websites and opinions my head is in a spin.

I've seen Wet web Media. Many thanks. To be honest chaps, I've read so many different websites and opinions my head is in a spin.

What differing opinions have you heard? I hope there not ones from the place you bought the anemone :lol:

Old forum posts on this website referring to almost identical anemone saying it is simply a different colour.

I'm still going to look after it the best I can. When it spreads it is does not look unhealthy at all, even though I'm being told it is.

Old forum posts on this website referring to almost identical anemone saying it is simply a different colour.

I'm still going to look after it the best I can. When it spreads it is does not look unhealthy at all, even though I'm being told it is.

An anemone that is bleached can look healthy for a long time even though it is severely bleached. Typically what happens with anemones like this is they slowly starve to death, which could take as long as 6 months. Honestly, I would say with almost 100 percent confidence that it is bleached and not a rare color of anemone. You paid 35 dollars for it, if it was some rare color morph dont you think you would have paid alot more for it?

Either way I wish you luck keeping him alive. Since your tank is young and he is severely bleached you will have an uphill battle, but IMO there is still a chance it will pull through if you do everything right.

Good Luck

Your sentiments are appreciated Bill. I will of course take care of it. Since keeping my marine set-up it has become something of an obsession, be it unhealthy or otherwise, and I'll do my best to ensure all life in my tank is looked after properly.

reef keeper
Your sentiments are appreciated Bill. I will of course take care of it. Since keeping my marine set-up it has become something of an obsession, be it unhealthy or otherwise, and I'll do my best to ensure all life in my tank is looked after properly.

Same here it's an obsession now. Just curious hows the leather doin.

This hobby becomes an obsession for most people who enter it! Most people who arent obsessed usually dont last very long since its expensive and can be frustrating haha. I was not trying to put you down or whatever with my post. From everything you posted, its obvious you care for your inhabitants and will do what you can to help this animal recover.

Hey Reef Keeper, hope you're well. Interestingly, the leather had been doing great until the other day when it began to slump and go intermittently limp. I wasn't overly concerned because every now and then it would straighten itself and and its polyps would come out. But I did start to wonder whether it had anything to do with the anemone...

Bill - no worries. I didn't think you were putting me down mate.

reef keeper

Im good a few days ago i fragged my leather it was my first fragging. Did you see your see anemone's tentacles touch the leather because that could of hurt it and the leather could be irritating the sea anemone with it's toxins im not sure the toxins hurt the anemones.

Neither have come into contact. I think the leather might be shedding again, but it's certainly not angry like it looked before - it just sometimes looks flat, ugly and out of energy.

Neither have come into contact. I think the leather might be shedding again, but it's certainly not angry like it looked before - it just sometimes looks flat, ugly and out of energy.

Leathers will slough off their mucus every once in a while to stay clean of detritus. They will typically look sad and deflated while this happens.

That's what I thought too. He looks different to the last time he did this though - resembling something like a splodge.

That's what I thought too. He looks different to the last time he did this though - resembling something like a splodge.

Lol I think splodge must be a British term...

edit

There could be chemical warefare going on in your tank with the anemone. I would run carbon having both a leather and anemone in the same tank. Its well known leathers will often kill off sps in small tanks unless carbon is run.

.... think of a splash of paint....

I do hope there isn't chemical warfare going on between the two - does this mean leather and anemones may not mix?

Tell me more about carbon...

.... think of a splash of paint....

I do hope there isn't chemical warfare going on between the two - does this mean leather and anemones may not mix?

Tell me more about carbon...

I am not sure whether that is whats going on, but if i had leathers or anemones in my tank I would be sure to have carbon. Honestly I always run carbon in my tank either way as it makes your water super clear and absorbs nutrients as well as chemicals, both organic and synthetic. I use chemipure elite and would highly recommend running it in your tank. It needs to be changed about every 2 or 3 months, but it is fairly cheap and works wonders.

This may be a dumb question, but can I run it in my internal filter?

Do you mean hang on back or one that actually goes in your tank? I have no experience with actual internal filters but if theres space on the inside to keep filter floss and whatever you may be able to fit it.

cheryl jordan
This may be a dumb question, but can I run it in my internal filter?

Please do not tell me this is the 30 liter or 6 gal nano, that you are keeping this anemone in.

If not I apologize, if so you have bigger problems than a bleached anemone.

cheryl jordan

IMO too small a tank for an anemone alone, and too small for anemone and soft corals like leathers.

Six gallons quickly becomes four with sand and live rock.

And yes you can put charcoal in the back filtration areas of a nano six gallon. You can buy loose charcoal and put it in a knee high stocking or buy pre bagged charcoal, either way rinse if first.

People do keep them in picos and small nanos but not a good idea for a new hobbyist. And a terrible recommendation from a fish store.

Cheryl, hope you're well.

Been thinking about your post all night and this morning.

Have you heard of and what do you think of the Juwel LIDO tank, which has been set up specifically for the marine aquarist? Think you can find examples from google. It i 120 litres and I can get the package for about £315 - far cheaper than online prices. It's a much bigger tank than mine, is what I'm getting at.

Archived