Coral Vue Hydros

My 10 gallon nano (large pics!)

denbigh97

I've been visiting this forum for a while now and I thought I'd share with you all my 3 months old 10 gallon nano.

Tank specs:

10 Gallon tank

Coralife Aqualite 65W power compact

Seaclone 100 protein skimmer

Tetra Whisper HOB filter (no carbon, only filter floss)

Tetra Whisper 100W heater

Auto Top Off system using Minijet 404 and float switch from floatswitches.net

Hagen Powerhead 201

Small hang on refugium from a betta tank with Teacup calurpa

1 lb of live Florida sand

7 lbs of Caribsea aragonite

15 of Fiji live rock

Corals:

Pink feather duster

White and brown feather duster

Blue mushrooms

Red mushrooms

Brown mushrooms

Marble mushrooms

Hairy mushrooms

Finger leather

Toadstool leather

Green star polps

Brown button polyps

Yellow button polyps

Alveopora

Sun coral

Orange, brown, and green zooanthids

Blue ricordia

Green ricordia

Flower anemone

Frogspawn

Xenia

Brown film looking coral that grows on a rock (don't know the name of it)

Inhabitants:

1 tiny Yellow Tang

1 Blue Damsel

1 Yellow Damsel

1 Firefish Goby

Blue hermit crabs

Red hermit crabs

1 Pincushion Urchin (trading it back to the LFS soon)

Tank

DSCF0002.JPG

Blue ricordia

DSCF0003.JPG

Finger and Toadstool leathers

DSCF0004.JPG

Various mushrooms, zooanthids, polyps, and blue damsel

DSCF0005.JPG

Sun coral

DSCF0006.JPG

Brown button polyps

DSCF0007.JPG

Alveopora

DSCF0008.JPG

Yellow tang and corals

DSCF0009.JPG

More corals

DSCF0011.JPG

AnthonyNguyen

dood, nice zoo's u got, awsome tank dood, its make me look bad, grr, i want a digital camera so baddddd.. , good pic dood, very nice i like it.!!

ninhsavestheday

you cant have a tang in that small of a tank. it wont be happy. it will soon stress out and die. tangs are open ocean swimmers, they need a lot of space to swim. upgrade to a 100 gal and youll be set. =)

Better cook and eat that tang, before the "Tang Patrol" gets you. We have no problem killing a 400 pound Tuna, but God forbid we kill a 2" tang.....

Originally posted by denbigh97

Yea, I've always wanted a yellow tang...actually that was the main reason I got the nano.

Really, I hope you plan on a 75 gallon in the future please. If you always wanted a yellow tang, you don't get a nano. That's like an oxymoron.

That is a sun coral, and it's doing fine. The reason that you might think it's dying is because it only comes out at night. Fully retracted when the lights are on. It comes out every night. No reason why it would be doing bad, as I just did a water test. Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 12.5ppm (normal), pH = 8.3, etc...

I don't care about people flaming, I couldn't care less.

Dood you are an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yellow tangs get 8" you moron.

Do us all a favor and don't post anymore pics of your tank. You are a joke!

Ok, now that's out of my system.......Please dear sir, read about the requiremnts of your inhabs before buying them. Your fish and the aquarium community will thank you. Best of luck :)

Originally posted by zizmans

Dood you are an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yellow tangs get 8" you moron.

Do us all a favor and don't post anymore pics of your tank. You are a joke!  

Oh, how I love the new, kinder and gentler nanoreef.com:D

That is a sun coral, and it's doing fine.  The reason that you might think it's dying is because it only comes out at night.  Fully retracted when the lights are on.....

Just some constructive critisism.... ;)

You might want to think about moving that sun coral into a 'shaded' area of the tank. Its nocturnally active, and from what I have been told, long tern exposure to intense light will deteriorate its health, although I don't have experience with that...

Also, 12ppm nitrates is a wee bit on the high side (prolly a result of the tang which can defiantely eat/waste alot for a 10 gallon water volume). You might want to look into doing more frequent water changes to help out with this. Your corals will be less stressed and love you for it.

Sands

The sun coral doesn't really care about light. If you put a coke bottle "hat" on it and feed during the day, you can get them to start opening up with the lights on.

I don't feel like being tough today. Here is my 2 cents. Putting 4 fish in a 10 gallon is a very high bioload. Adding to that a non-photosynthetic coral that needs every polyp to be fed every day to survive, you will be adding a LOT of food to that tank. Although your nitrates are only a bit high (5 ppm or less should be your goal), they will inevitably go over 20 with that much load in the tank. Soon red slime will start to coat everything, choking out your corals. You will be unhappy.

Do yourself a favor and ditch the tang and the sun coral. It will contribute to your long term success. Believe me, I have been through what you are about to, and you will thank me later.

Denbigh97,

I applaud your nads!

If u want a Tang in a 10 gal - you go for it! There are plenty more at your LFS. I have done similar crazy stuff with limited success.

Any one who says your an idiot, may be an idiot.

I read comments like - "they wont be happy in a tank that size"

What makes these rocket scientists think that a Tang would be happy in a 200 gal. tank? - relative to the size of the Ocean, thats smaller than a pico-environment.

Btw, what is a "dood?"

Originally posted by PFB

Denbigh97,

I applaud your nads!

I have done similar crazy stuff with limited success.

Considering the fact you don't care about the fish, I would find it annoying to have my, uh, toy dying and creating ammonia in my tank every month and having to clean it out, and then paying more money for it.

boys boys boys. you all need to relax.

try givin it to denbigh97 like this:

you need to feed the sun coral alot. if you dont itll die. the tang...well they get big and you need to get rid oh him. and your alveo looks like it was or is dying. the arms on the underside should be extending or trying to extend towards the light. If they dont then in a matter of weeks you will see the moonscape like bottom move up and the arms will just dissapear. Other than that your tank from what i could see looked great but i didnt want to sit on my ass for 3 hours to download them all so blah. im going to bed.

say "doooode" if you want your ass kicked

Maybe, I missed it but did he anywhere ask for advice or opinions. Looks to me like he has everything under control. Whatever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all"

Sweet Tank!! Thanks for sharing!

I feed the fish once 2 days, so to keep the nitrates down. Seems to be working fine. I don't see the fish complaining (ie: jumping out the tank). As you can tell, I'm not much of the PETA type that some members of the forum are. Thanks for applauding PFB.

####ster, the Seaclone 100 works fine. Maybe an overkill for a 10 gallon, but it does the job. It does make some noise, but doesn't really bother me.

Reefsrule, maybe some of us don't mind cleaning the tank more often and got $ to blow (for crazy ideas)? Just a thought...

Thank you Ashley and yeroc40! The alveopora was like that when I got it 2 months ago. But the arms are always fully extended towards the light. Looks like I'm getting some growth on the bottom now.

I feed a descent amount of Phytoplex for the corals, and I even drip some at night when the sun coral is out so that other corals won't compete with it.

I'll eventually get a 55-75 gallon tank once the tang gets a little bigger.

I was ready for the flames before I posted. So it doesn't bother me. However, I'd like to thank the ones with the constructive criticism. Keep it coming!

BTW, sorry about the huge pics...too lazy to resize the pics =D.

I'll eventually get a 55-75 gallon tank once the tang gets a little bigger.

BTW, sorry about the huge pics...too lazy to resize the pics =D.

If you do that then you won't have much to worry about. You could have avoided a lot of flames by saying that. I'm also tired of poeple thinking when ever someone says the fish wont be happy in the tank they have to be with PETA. I hate that Fn' group. Besides, they are against keeping any fish.

Originally posted by yeroc40

Maybe, I missed it but did he anywhere ask for advice or opinions. Looks to me like he has everything under control. Whatever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all"

QUOTE]

well if you want advice i'll give it and if you dont i'll give it and my mom never told me that saying.

nice to hear your alveo is doing well. i want as lucky.

Archived