ReefCleaners.org

Crab Cakes 5.5

Wendy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flatworms, they can be tough to get out in front of. I have used Levamasole followed by siphoning, but the best thing I found was to hit them with the levamasol and the turn on an HOT Magnum filter with the water polishing filter in it. This jacks up the flow, and while they are paralyzed gets them up into the water column where the filter removes them easily. Levamasole can be hard to source now, but Flatworm exit should do the same thing, in fact I remember reading that it might be one of the ingredients.

After the levamasol I would do a 25-50% water change and then put a fresh sock of chemi-pure and off you go. Do this 2-3 times at roughly weekly intervals and you should have no further problems with the little guys. For the FE, follow their directions.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, thanks so much for all the encouragement & for the tips on the flatworms! I have been blasting them & letting them get sucked up into the filter floss; this has helped a bit. I do have Flatworm EXIT, but just haven't used it yet. I may stick a fish in there come February when the Mythology Pico contest is done.

thevidon: I do have critters in the tank so I feed anywhere from each day to every other day, just a few tablets at a time. Oh, also about once a month I add some iodine (although I haven't added any the past couple months). I use Kent marine Lugol's solution; the directions say to add one drop per 25 gallons. So I put 1 drop into a 5 ounce measuring cup of filtered water then dump out the mixture until I have 1 ounce left then put that in the tank, because my tank is only 5.5 gallons & I want to make sure that I do not overdose. This really seems to help my inverts molt, not sure if it helps the macros!?

Disclosure: the above information is just what I have done to my 5.5 tank. It is in no way a must have or instructions to do the same. This information is a detailed description of what happens to Crab Cakes 5.5. Happy Reefing Everyone!!!

Here's some pictures I was able to capture of my very elusive Pompom crab

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

December FTS of both sides

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wendy!!!! LOVE this tank!!!!! Is it still going? I clicked the link in your signature. It's been awhile since you updated this thread :)

I saw your brittany spaniel too :wub: Ours sleeps JUST like that :lol:

We seem to have a lot in common. Similar tank styles and the same type of dog :)

Archived