ReefCleaners.org

Crab Cakes 5.5

Wendy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice indeed!

You've got nice Macroalgaes and some of my favorite corals in here, so this tank is WIN for me!

I just wanna know how you keep the Emerald Crab from eating the Ulva.

I like Ulva and have tried keeping it twice now, both times it's gotten eaten, although not by an Emerald.

Thank you all so much for the nice & encouraging comments!!!

Sure is nice to get on here after a hard day of work & get all this positive feedback!

To answer Weetabix7 about the emerald eating the ulva... my emerald has a real

sweet tooth for the codium, I had to put what little I had left into the fuge. The emerald

will munch on the ulva as well as the other macros, but he hasn't even put a dent in

those compared to how he demolished the codium!

I'm glad ya'll like the favia, they're really neat corals & I have some more pictures here for you!

Here's the Mystic Grape favia, I'm thinking about cutting some of the frag disc off & gluing this piece

onto the top part of the big island & then some how put the Christmas favia up there as well.

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

I also love this Blastomussa. It puffs up at times & then makes these beads at it's mouth, really cool.

IMG_1734.jpg

I had to get this pic. of this one cool colored zoa in the middle of these bluish/green colony.

The bluish/green zoas are closing up b/c I was hitting the glass with my camera.

IMG_1738.jpg

Green star polyps- can't seem to get the right colors, they are purple with metallic green tips.

IMG_1741.jpg

Pink zoas- not such a clear pic b/c I need to clean the glass near the sand bed.

IMG_1742.jpg

Pompom xenia with my bluish/purple yuma to the right & some macros mixed in.

IMG_1745.jpg

Blue & yellow skirted zoas & the bluish/purple yuma again.

IMG_1747.jpg

Pink palys hanging out in the sand. I really need to get all these guys glued onto the rocks. Poor things...

IMG_1750.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This month has gone by way too fast & I have hardly been able to get on NR. My tank has been on auto pilot except for top offs & a water change at least every other week.

Macros have grown out of control! I should have taken a picture of the massive growth of ulva before I ripped it out, but here are some pics of the other overgrown macros.

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

Just some recent pics of corals & crabs.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

The porcelain crab in it's cave.

IMG_1939.jpg

The green star polyps have taken off.

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

My Pompom crab came out of hiding & the porcelain crab scared it away.

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

Current FTS of each side of my tank.

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pictures... I know the tank looks bare again since I trimmed the macros.

My husband came home & said "Ya mowed your tank, hugh?". Rofl!

Beautiful. Get your FTS up :)

Thanks Joe!

Beautiful, beautiful.

Glad you made it in time.

Course now I gotta be more on my game, cheez. ;)

Weetie, You have no competition here! ;)

Really nice looking pictures Wendy. You tank is a serious contender for the macroalgae prize.

Thanks C_K, the way that stuff is growing in there, that maybe the only thing left by next year.

I can see a lot of promise for this tank :) love the Rics.

Thanks Nork, the rics are moving to the back side of the tank, getting too much flow I suppose.

Hopefully that won't keep them from multiplying!!! fingerscrossed

Here's an off topic pic, but I just had to share it. My husband's Britney likes to sleep like a human-

IMG_1910.jpg

Here's an off topic pic, but I just had to share it. My husband's Britney likes to sleep like a human-

IMG_1910.jpg

Your Husbands name is Britney and he likes to sleep like a dog ???

OH wait I got that all mixed up omgomgomg

Sorry couldn't help myself :o

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't done much with this tank, wc every other week, clean the glass sometimes & basically keep my hands off of it. There is now a flatworm invasion that is so on my nerves!!! I'll have to spend the time to try & eradicate them or at least get them under control... urgh...

Here's some recent pictures-

IMG_2006.jpg

Emerald crab- cleaning out a shell.

IMG_2003.jpg

See all the flatworms... the brown spots...

IMG_1999.jpg

These green hairy mushrooms have been intruding into the rics... the hairy mushrooms are going to get cut off real soon.

IMG_1995.jpg

These rics moved to the back of the rock & some are multiplying!

IMG_1997.jpg

Had to leave some ulva stuck on the power head because the emerald crab has been munching on it a lot.

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

Thanks for looking & sorry I'm updating at the last minute, again.

lol i was about to say: I think your powerhead is clogged...

anyway it looks great. those are some bad flatworms. I have some too in my pico, but they are different from yours. mine are light brown-transparent, and they hang out on the glass, and especially around algae on the glass. I suspect my flatworms eat pods or w/e microfauna lives on that algae. I have even looked at mine under a compound micro scope. they're really nice animals. certainly not when they prove to be detrimental to your coral or livestock though :(

idk how you could cut down on their numbers. you could try to figure out what they eat and try to cut down of that source of food...

There is now a flatworm invasion that is so on my nerves!!! I'll have to spend the time to try & eradicate them or at least get them under control... urgh...

Wendy overall your tank is looking really nice as usual.

I too have a flat worm infestation. You can see them all over the round, back rock in my Sept pic. Best thing is just step up the WC's and suck them out as you do the WC.

Whatever do do don't use any drastic method of removal -- in a pico than can be very detrimental to the tank.Sucking them out on a regular basis with WC's should suffice.

• 5 weeks later...

are they the bad flatworms? or the tan/clear acoel ones? I have many of those, but i dont mind em. theyre not crazy and they keep to the algae on the glass. I'm guessing they make very nice CUC and i like them in my tank (they add to life diversity)

but it sounds like you have them covering the sand and rocks? i cant see any in your tank so thats good. :) (maybe some on your glass but thats just one glass magnet sweep away from having clean glass lol.

Yea Newman, they're on my rocks & just everywhere! They are a tannish/clear like. I should of added a fish or something that eats them before the livestock cutoff.... my husband told me too, but I didn't listen. )-:

• 4 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

This tank looks awesome. Love the rics. Sorry about the flatworms. I've been there. Just be careful and you'll win the battle without any losses.

Flatworm eXit works like a charm. Just make sure to follow the directions.

How do you grow your macro so well. I can't ever get my chaeto to grow, much less my nicer macros.......Do you overfeed intentionally? Dose anything special?

Archived