SaltCritters.com

Cheap dimming (voltage) solution for Meanwell "D" models?

redfishsc

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
noobwithatank
Ok, here's my ghetto diagram of it:dimmingcircuit.jpg

Cut one outer leg off of all of your 10k pots. Run the positive from the 9V Supply to the other outer leg of each pot. Run the positive dimming wire from each meanwell (blue wire DIM+) to a middle leg (wiper) of a pot. Run the negative dimming wire from each meanwell (white wire DIM-) to the negative wire of the 9V supply.

Make sure you cut the same leg off of each pot or else you'll have to turn them in different directions to dim.

Hope that clarifies things.

Not sure if this will work for the "P" version, I've only used it with the "D".

-Tim

This is what im talking about, the only thing that would differ would be the ammount of dimmer/pots depending on how many drivers one is using..

So, to wire in my meter to test mA, can I just take the negative wire off the last LED, tie it to meter positive, and then tie meter negative to the driver ground (where the last LED would have gone)?

That's correct. Make sure you put the red lead in the 10A port.

The pots will work, but I don't know if you need one wall wart per meanwell or not.

You only need one.

That's correct. Make sure you put the red lead in the 10A port.

You only need one.

I adjusted the pot and dialed it wide open, turned the SV2 screw until it read .975 mA DC...and I am now blind.

I think I will leave my XP-G string there as well, seeing as I have one Royal Blue on that string.

Welcome to the club :)

Thank you for all of the help. I should have this finished by the weekend now and will add pics to my build thread then.

• 2 months later...

was rereading all the led stuff and was about to post this exact idea and i found this, started 2 months earlier haha. How is this working out for you guys? no blown out meanwells?

All running wonderfully. Not going to harm a Meanwell, the 9v supply is well within tolerance of the Meanwell.

I did blow an XPG but that was probably just a dud.

was rereading all the led stuff and was about to post this exact idea and i found this, started 2 months earlier haha. How is this working out for you guys? no blown out meanwells?

Been running mine for about six months like this with no problems.

as for the 9V walwart power supply, does it matter what' the current on it rated? Can it be like 500mA or 900mA or 700mA?

Genj is right. The Meanwell power grid doesn't draw much current at all. You could probably run 4-6 Meanwells off of that single 500mA Wal-Wart if you wire them in parallel and give each Meanwell it's own potentiometer.

What you do have to be cautious about is checking the non-load voltage of the wal-wart. If it's anything over 10v, don't use it. Non-regulated (or poorly regulated) 9v can give you as high as 14-18v non-load. I have one that will give 18v with some nasty fluctuation.

Genj is right. The Meanwell power grid doesn't draw much current at all. You could probably run 4-6 Meanwells off of that single 500mA Wal-Wart if you wire them in parallel and give each Meanwell it's own potentiometer.

What you do have to be cautious about is checking the non-load voltage of the wal-wart. If it's anything over 10v, don't use it. Non-regulated (or poorly regulated) 9v can give you as high as 14-18v non-load. I have one that will give 18v with some nasty fluctuation.

thanks!

Where I can find a cheaply regulated power supply? I am not sure if I see any regulated one...does it say it on the cover?

It will say specifically "regulated" or "switching". The two types aren't identical in the way they produce a stable voltage, but they are both sufficient.

sparkfun.com carries a nice regulated 9v for like $6 and it would run multiple meanwells (if you wire them appropriately in parallel and give each Meanwell it's own 10k pot).

ALWAYS CHECK THE NO-LOAD VOLTAGE before you hook them to the Meanwell though. Your tolerance is 10.5v (no higher--- not a bit, according to the folks at Meanwell I spoke with).

It will say specifically "regulated" or "switching". The two types aren't identical in the way they produce a stable voltage, but they are both sufficient.

sparkfun.com carries a nice regulated 9v for like $6 and it would run multiple meanwells (if you wire them appropriately in parallel and give each Meanwell it's own 10k pot).

ALWAYS CHECK THE NO-LOAD VOLTAGE before you hook them to the Meanwell though. Your tolerance is 10.5v (no higher--- not a bit, according to the folks at Meanwell I spoke with).

OK but if you look the picture in sparkfun, the label did not say it;s regulated. I mean is there another indication?

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...products_id=298

It says in the description that it is "switching" and that it is regulated at 9v. Normally they aren't labeled as both 'regulated' and 'switching' but in this case they're using the terms interchangabley---- doesn't really matter because both terms mean it will give a solid 9v (up to around 9.2 is normal and fine)

So i do have a lot of 9V power supplies laying around but I Am not sure if they are regulated. The only way to know is to check the output voltage right?

Correct. Now if they say specifically on the back "regulated" or "switching" then you have a very good clue.

The way I check them--- if they still have that RCA type plug on the end--- just stick one multimeter terminal in the inside, touch the other to the outside (be sure you're set to DC voltage). Hold it there for 10-15 seconds. If it stays a stable 9.0-9.5 volts without much noise, should be fine.

If it ever--- EVER---- goes up to 10v, expect that it's poorly regulated and don't use it for this. May be good for running computer fans at 2/3 power but not for a Meanwell.

Correct. Now if they say specifically on the back "regulated" or "switching" then you have a very good clue.

The way I check them--- if they still have that RCA type plug on the end--- just stick one multimeter terminal in the inside, touch the other to the outside (be sure you're set to DC voltage). Hold it there for 10-15 seconds. If it stays a stable 9.0-9.5 volts without much noise, should be fine.

If it ever--- EVER---- goes up to 10v, expect that it's poorly regulated and don't use it for this. May be good for running computer fans at 2/3 power but not for a Meanwell.

Cool..found one with output 9v 400mA. The voltage stays constant around 9.5-9.6V. It's an power supply for cordless drill

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone tried running a fan or fans off of the same 9v power supply they are using to dim the meanwells? I noticed evil mentioned that way back.

I want to try to do this in order to save money and space, if the dimming signals only use around 3-4mA then souldnt there be like 492mA left to run a DC fan whos power consumption is 400mA or less?

I also want to try and put two meanwells and said power supply into one project box in which i can run signals to the fixture through d-sub connectors. But i only want to use 2 ac in cords so i can hook the system up to most wall outlets. The only problem is there are two meanwells which account for two ac cords with the DC power supply left over. I know i can wire the dc power supply to one of the ac cords but what i dont know is how. Would i need to get an extension cord and cut off just the plug so i could wire it to the ac-in cord and plug the 9vdc into this?

Is there an easier way?

Thanks, Chris

I was told to use 100k potentiometers to dim the D models, is there a big difference between using the 10k and the 100k pots?

takitaj-albums-0-10v-40ma-x-4-driver-circuit-picture7213-dimmer-pot.jpg

I can't say for sure but I think the 100K pots will work but it will have an oddly "steep" response. Couldn't hurt to give it a try if that's what you have handy. You may find that most of the "dial turn" will result in either "wide open" or "totally off".... and then as you get into that last 1/4 turn, it sharply lights them all up or shuts them all off. May be hard to "sneak up" on the light level you want.

i hooked up my meanwell using a 10k pot . doing quick connections (not soldered) i was able to dim to almost off .

After soldering everything, it doesnt dim all the way. I checked the power supply voltage to the dimmer, and dimmed to 10k ohms, the power supply still gave around 3v. Any idea why this is happening? should i get a higher resistance pot? did i ruin the pot?

i have another 10k pot lying around so maybe ill try that pot

Archived