Top Shelf Aquatics

Cheap dimming (voltage) solution for Meanwell "D" models?

redfishsc

I think I am still going to put my Meanwells in an enclosure, in case I ever sell the setup. It will look clean and reduce clutter I think.

I have narrowed my list of parts, so I should be up and running within a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you go to the local flee market you are sure to find all types of wall warts. i found a few 9v supplies for $1 each =)

Yes but 95% of the ones I've found are NOT "regulated" and are utterly useless for the Meanwell unless you spend the time and frustration to solder up a voltage regulator.

If you use a "blind" 9v without checking the actual voltage output you are likely to have one that throws off way more than 9v, and the Meanwell is not designed to handle anything over 10.5v.

• 4 weeks later...

I found out today (using the same 9v regulated supply that I have) that you can set a Meanwell to run XPG's at 1500mA, but it will move your minimum dim setting way up to around 250mA, which is still fairly bright but probably fine for a reef.

Nice thread refishsc!!!! :D

This will turn my life much more simple...tomorrow i´ll search for a good and stable 9v power supply! I think that guitar pedals uses a very accurate 9V power supply source..I don´t know why but apparently the oscillation in this voltage aparently could cause strange noise.....so if I can´t find in any eletrical store ...I will search in guitar shops!!!! The amparage output of this power supply is important in this case???

Hails from Brazil

D

No, the amperage output isn't a big deal. The dimmer on these Meanwells does not draw much at all. I'm not sure they make a power supply plug-in that's too small.

I think they draw, if I recall correctly, about 3 mA. I supposed I could check mine with a multimeter next time I have it running just to see.

Thank you Red....

Do you know if this guitar pedals power supply could work? Somebody tried something like this?

Hails from Brazil

D.

That sounds like it should work then. "without variation" is the key. As long as you have that you're golden. If in doubt hook it up to a multimeter or take it to a shop that has one to check the output voltage.

Good luck!

Tim

Hi Red...

I don´t know if this link can help but....

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-144...-para-pedal-_JM

of couser it is in Portuguese...my natural language... :D

In summary the text says that this power supply produces a regulate 9V voltage with 0.350mA without variation...

Hails from Brazil

D.

Thank´s therman....

I know that this is a basic question but: How can I ground the third leg of the 10k pot?

Best regards

D.

I don't see why not.....-- 10K ohms is the same regardless of how you look at it. Aside from the knurled knob it looks like any other 10K pot.

I don't see why not.....-- 10K ohms is the same regardless of how you look at it. Aside from the knurled knob it looks like any other 10K pot.

Ok, then I`ll order some :happy:

Plus I`m going to get a 9V wall wart :D

Can`t you feel it baby? I`m on a role! B)

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread, but it be more appropriate here:

Is it normal for the pot to not fire the LEDs until I turn if half way? They shut off like a light switch if I go all the way down as well. I set the meter to V, 200 level, and touched the red lead to the first LED + and the black to the last LED neg, and got 35.5, so I hope I did that correctly as well for vf. This was on the blue XR-E string.

Both of mine will turn all the way off with the pot. Strangely, I recall my first array (the blue XRE) would NOT dim all the way down with the pot on it's lowest setting, but it does now. I rarely dim them so I'm not sure when it "broke in".

I haven't tested the current yet, I need to wire in the meter in series on one string to do that right?

Yes, in series. ;)

Hey DC, you've got the "extra" leg of the pot wired back to the negative side of the power supply, right? That was my issue.

Hey DC, you've got the "extra" leg of the pot wired back to the negative side of the power supply, right? That was my issue.

Yep, that is how I wired it.

Hmmm, I've noticed that there is a pronounced time lag in the output of the LEDs when I adjust a potentiometer, but it definitely uses the whole range.

So, to wire in my meter to test mA, can I just take the negative wire off the last LED, tie it to meter positive, and then tie meter negative to the driver ground (where the last LED would have gone)?

Archived