ReefCleaners.org

Are Single-Species Tanks Considered Biotopes?

jeremai

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are Single-Species Tanks Considered Biotopes?

• Yes
    • No

A biotope generally encompasses a biological community - all of the organisms living together in a specific geographic location. But in this hobby, the term 'biotope' often has a less strict meaning.

So, I'm curious for input from resident biotope experts and noobs alike. Would keeping only one fish - say, an aggressive eater like a dwarf lionfish, or a more docile fish like a sunburst anthias - qualify as a biotope? Or would you save that qualification for a system designed around the fish; for instance, not only keeping seahorses, but also creating a system for the seahorses utilizing seagrass and macros, etc.?

Obviously there's no right or wrong answer, just trying to start a dialogue that doesn't revolve around LEDs. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheBlueLorax

oops :slap: voted yes when I meant to say know, IMO keeping a a single fish in any aquarium is wrong :( .... cause the fish gets lonely.

:P

oh good, all this time I thought the random bickering around here was caused by the lounge. apparently all of n-r is incapable of intelligent discourse, not just them. whew.

:rolleyes:

Guest TheBlueLorax
:lol: aight but really a one fish biotope thats no fun, to me creating a biotype is about trying to replicate an animals natural habitat inside the comfort of your own home you cant do that with one fish...

Since a biotope is based on a specific place, just having the fish from that place doesn't make it a biotope. That would mean that any 1 fish tank is a biotope...

Guest TheBlueLorax
Since a biotope is based on a specific place, just having the fish from that place doesn't make it a biotope. That would mean that any 1 fish tank is a biotope...

For example single lonely beta tanks that we at our LFS

What you have described is a species tank IMO. What you said in the first part of your opening post was the definition of a biotope in my mine. But a single fish in a tank... That's just a species tank.

That's what I was asking - are species tanks biotopes? I think the surrounding environment is as important as the fish, but back to those seahorses: what if the horses were a pacific species, but the macro they hitch to is a Caulerpa from florida? The basic elements of the biotic community are in place, but would it be considered a 'biotope' if location-specific substitutions are made?

How broad is the hobby's definition?

Guest TheBlueLorax

Well I think that a substituting a plant that isn't found in the species environment automatically fails as a biotope. Metaphorically speaking.

But as far as the broadness of the hobby definition... I think other people on N-R decide that for the tank owner

Why does this matter again?

see first post:

Obviously there's no right or wrong answer, just trying to start a dialogue that doesn't revolve around LEDs. :)

there was once a time when nano-reef.com was home to many and varied discussions related to the actual organic side of reefkeeping. these days, it seems all anyone gets excited about is dry goods. I just wanted to bring some biology back to the site, that's all.

Guest TheBlueLorax

Das COo B)

If you wanna talk about biology can you answer this question what do you know about emperor shrimp and heart sea urchins I know where to get them but I know almost nothing about them neither do the people who sell them <_<

Jeremai, just set up the coldwater tank you have been dreaming of already.

ditto.

More deep questions: If I set up a deep sea biotope, can I just fill it with mud and have no fish, because population densities are so low? Is that still a biotope? Would a tank with just saltwater be considered a middle-of-the-ocean open water biotope?

imo, single species does not equal biotope, unless you are emulating an area were there is actually only one species. That, however, would be boring and not merit actually having a tank.

so yeah, get a coldwater tank.

I agree with what others have posted, a biotype would be a tank replicating a particular habitat as accurately as possible. with the example of pacific sea-horses and atlantic caulerpa, that would technically not be a biotype in my opinion however since trade in specific organisms is restricted or non-existent, using caulerpa in an otherwise biotype tank would be understandable if the seagrass from the pacific was unattainable.

I tried to do a pacific biotype in my tank (I still scorn rics) but i've added things like blue-legged hermits and sea whips and there I went astray. now i've just gotta set up another tank for all my non-pacific stuff ;)

To be a biotope it is to create an environment that resembles the cohesive living of plants and animals alike.

If your deep sea tank was a sand flat biotope with just mud it would not be a biotope unless there were mud dwelling animals in it.

Middle sea biotope would have planktonic algaes (plant) free swimming plankton and middle water fish (tuna for example)

Reef biotope would have to have all components IMO to be considered a biotope. You can have a biotope that is fishless IMO becuase corals in general are animals not plants.

so Would anyone agree that a coral tank with plants could be a biotope... it fits the definition...

shoreline invertibrate biotope with plants and shrimp etc still no fish would also fit the definition.

The second you remove one factor ie plant or animal I think you get more of a species setup isntead of a biotope.

[...]

Reef biotope would have to have all components IMO to be considered a biotope. You can have a biotope that is fishless IMO becuase corals in general are animals not plants.

so Would anyone agree that a coral tank with plants could be a biotope... it fits the definition...

[...]

The second you remove one factor ie plant or animal I think you get more of a species setup isntead of a biotope.

I agree to a degree, since for our tanks we cannot hope to represent all creatures present in the location we are recreating, excluding fish would be akin to excluding pests such as aptasia, or phyto/zooplankton species.

Guest TheBlueLorax
I agree to a degree, since for our tanks we cannot hope to represent all creatures present in the location we are recreating, excluding fish would be akin to excluding pests such as aptasia, or phyto/zooplankton species.

Very True :happy:

johnmaloney
but also creating a system for the seahorses utilizing seagrass and macros, etc.?

this one, but not the other in my opinion. it would make "biotope" less meaningful.

animalmaster6

This thread is Awesome!!!!!!!!

there was once a time when nano-reef.com was home to many and varied discussions related to the actual organic side of reefkeeping. these days, it seems all anyone gets excited about is dry goods. I just wanted to bring some biology back to the site, that's all.

This is awesome you are trying to bring Biology conversations (bring them back) to N-R.

Imo the biologic part is the best part of the aquarium hobby. Thank you Jer for trying to bring in Biology conversations :)

To answer your questions about seahorses: It is a seahorse biotope if you have seahorses and macros, plants, etc. from the specific area that species of seahorse live. If you have seahorses with macros, plants, etc. from different places it's just a seahorse tank. Not a biotope at all. To me (I thought it meant this) a biotope is a tank that shows sa replacation of a habitat or ecosystem from one specific area. ex. Gulf of mexico or Hudson Bay biotope.

lakshwadeep

I would say "species" or "species-specific" would be better terms for tanks that are notable only because there is one species/genus/family. "Biotope" would be fine for a decent attempt to recreate the habitat of one species, if only because it's difficult to get everything from the same location.

Deleted User 6

Seriously though, imo a biotope has to recreate a single geographic environment, or at least give it a valiant attempt like lak says (e.g it'd be tough to get rock/sand from the specific location you are emulating). if you mix species that are not found in the same environments in the wild, you no longer have a biotope.

if you wanted to throw a single clownfish in an empty tank and call it a biotope, feel free. you'll get laughed at, but you won't necessarily be wrong. the more serious your attempt at matching the environment, the more people you'll get admitting that it's a biotope. and opinions about what you're doing obviously matter, or else people on this site wouldn't create tank threads.

that's all i have to say about that.

Archived