Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nanolax's ADA 60-P Rimless Reef

nanolax

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
can you elaborate how you keep your water so clean without mechanical filtration? do you just do a huge weekly waterchange?

Hi Llamaslayer

Sorry about the late reply..I don't have quite as much free time as i used to check messages.

I use a fairly minimalist approach:

I only use 0ppm RO/DI water with tropic marin salt, which is expensive but I've had good luck with it and doesn't leave odd residues. Some people might flame me for this but I slowly acclimated my corals to 5 hours of (intense) lighting a day.

I feed every other day, a flake at a time to make sure the clownfish eats everything. Anything that is not eaten is extracted from the tank with a turkey baster.

i keep the circulation high and intermittent with the vortech. All I do now in terms of maintenance are bi-weekly, sometimes monthly water changes (about 20% each time) and I top off every few days. I do not check calcium, alkalinity, etc.

I stock very lightly. The general rule I set for myself is 1 fish per 15 gallons, and 1 coral frag per 3-4 gallons.

I am a firm believer in keeping everything simple and maintaining stability. My tanks in the past had every piece of reef equipment imaginable, yet they were a pain to keep maintained compared to this one, and all the livestock seem much happier in this tank.

Thanks,

-lax

• 11 months later...

Archived