Pod Your Reef

Excessive Surface Slime

Dave ESPI

My 40 long is fairly new. the water checks out nominal. I have 60 # of live rock, cured carib rock and tonga branch. 1 large Condy anemone, some shrooms, green zoanthids (that are starting to fade a little green xouan'at'e)... a colt and a kenya soft tree both like 7 - 10 inches fully expanded, 6 fire fish, 1 blue damzel, and a neon goby. I have EXCESSIVE surface slime that I have been removing with newspaper..... I have only a canister, U/V and 4 internal powerheads running the tank. there is no substrate, only 4 # of aragonite for ph bal. I run no skimmers and my surface tension is good as 2 of the PH are aimed at the surface.

WHAT WOULD U DO?

damn i hate typos

ok, MY TURN to ask a question..LOL HAHA NSH! and crap....!

Nishant3789

haha i was wondering actually why u were asking a wuestion for a change as i was reading it....lol. how about sueing a skimmer since u arent already useing one , mayb a surface skimmer?

nishant

NanoReefer53

create a DIY overflow for the filter if u can get a hold of an acrylic box.

here's a pic:

surfacebox2.jpg

u sure about using newspaper ? the ink might run off into your tank. Just get a cup and drain the surface scum out.

no.

no.

no. I dont want to use a sump and over flow, OR a skimmer

I was loking for a CAUSE.. not how to fix........... Im waiting for my skimmer proto type to be finished.

and uhhh.. NO !

well maybe.:rolleyes:

Hook a surface skimmer to your canister. They are a bit of a pain to get adjusted but they work. I have one I'm going to cut down the height and try it again, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

no.   I dont want to use a sump and over flow, OR a skimmer

I was loking for a CAUSE.. not how to fix...........  [/b]

Well you should have said so. You asked " WHAT WOULD U DO? "

:);)

sorriue..lo Im hafing a new prototype skimmer biult, but Im trying to keep crap out of the tank

no overflows to jam and what not... PLEASE cuntinue....lol hehe

Dave,

Its your leathers. Dont use newspaper the inks aren't all safe and generally the newspappers buy bulk whatever is on special for black. Try this take a drinking straw and cut a few notches of differen't lengths stick it into the air intake of your powerhead, run it like that for about 5 min to kick the slime back into the water column use a poly filter in your hang on filter to catch it.

I have alot of leathers and they shed wax alot that turns into slime (clear slime right?) this method works for me but YMMV.

Good luck,

Toy

My 10gs surface slime is brown which leads me to beleive its from the diatoms I wipe off the glass. I don't know what else it could be.

Any luck finding out solutions?

I guess it can be the leather..ever since I had the leather, I had to turn up the skimmer slightly as slime stuff started to appear. Seems fine now.

the Newspaper ink for the most part is non toxic.. (by legal recycling standards it has to be) It is a very old school slime removal tool used by may so called experts who wont admit it.

Per haps a small internal refugium/ surface skimmer ( AKA CPR refuge) with a PH return may be the solution. I just dont want to rearange the rock again I really like it.. heheh.

any one else got a theory ?

First, on the newpaper note, even cheaper than buying the daily paper, you can buy blank newsprint at a craft store (Micheal's, Ben Franklin's, whatever you have in your area).

I get this damn slime film on the surface when I use DTs or BioPlankton.

I wait a day or two, then skim it off with a cup, and it doesn't return until I add phyto again. That may not be your problem, but it's definitely the cause of mine.

Matthew

Guess what?

Business's dont follow the law always ( See Enron, Worldcom)and like I said sometimes it's not toxic sometimes it is. I read a study of newspaper inks somewhere and I can't find it sorry.... but it showed that the baltimore sun had four different inks in a month and one of them was toxic to children, so I suppose it would be to corals too....

There were many others that displayed the same pattern and funny enough around the same times they had the same brands...

The authors conclusions were offshore ink distributers supplying toxic ink at a reduced cost to the USA and labeling it differently.

Not worth the risk IMO

Toy

I use the Live dts also.... hmmmm I dont have the same from effects in other tanks... perhaps its a softie coral thing only.

thanks. Im setting Up a Surface skimmer box from an old overflow box I had with a powerhead return and some filter floss. When my skinner proto type arives I think it will help the issue.

Tanks all .:D

I am trying to build a surface skimmer attachment to my Prizm skimmer.

Having problem finding right materials...

Will post thread etc when its up and running. I let you guys know how well it goes.

• 6 months later...

I just got a Prizm to replace my SeaClone. When I was setting it up, I noticed instructions for the Red Sea surface skimmer attachment. I was gonna call on Monday about it. Anything I make would probably be pretty fugly ;)

I would say you just need more surface agitation. I had PH's aiming up to the point of you would never guess it was not breaking the surface (wasn't, just making waves). I needed to increase my PH a little and didn't want to use chems so I just grabbed an air pump, some tubing and a cheap rock for large bubbles (micro as you know would suck and would not break the surface)as this would increase PH the little bit I needed. The funny thing was that I didn't use the bubbles to clear my surface but it did and it did it great. I left the air pump going which has not caused any major PH problems, no micro bubbles so there is no worry there and the surface is crystal clear all the time. I also like the look of the bubbles in the tank as well. There are better way to get rid of it of course, but this would be by far the cheapest and easiest. Trust me, if you have that nasty film (mine was whitish), this will clear it right up.

basically its scum that a skimmer would remove, excess amounts of this should cause deffo concerns.

I notice you have plans now for skimmer etc. cool.

I, on reset, am using small weirs (27 x 12 x 15 tank), these weirs are 4 inch square and the depth of the tank.

The material for use is black pvc (as used on german top skimmers here). the inlet/outlet are, one on each weir only, facing forward so flows are created on surface and not just exit on one end and flow directly to the other. My inlet comb size is about 2 3/4 inch wide only with only 18mm of water inlet total through the comb so as to aggetate water coming through.

These will run 440 ltr/h in and out.

I too thought long and hard for variation and not gunking the tank with too much mechanical crud, but I think now I have to swallow it and go for the best which I think is weirs.

I have been skimmerless for months now, upto recent, now ive returned to it, and will use again on reset.

Also I will use two tunze electronically controlled wave sim. powerheads for upper circulation, and two maxijet powerheads to run a reefclean with no base gravels at all. This equates to roughly 30-35 x flow to the capacity of water in tank (loads of flow).

To subsidise not using gravel/sand I am linking to my system computer control (iks-pc), calc reactor and denitrator. (i will use a.r.m. media in the calc reac and sulphour in the denitrator, also rowaphos = german phosphate remover.)

I have too experimented over time to try to see effects of this and that, and now, finally, have come to the conclusion that good filtration (skimming), calcium enriched water, and no amm. nitri. nitra. phosph. is the main keys here, aswell as obvious liquid feeding etc, which will be computer controlled on a daily basis.

cheers for now,

lee

:) :) :) :) :)

Archived