SaltCritters.com

11g Rimless Mantis Haven

Bamato

I've been in contact with someone who was looking for a Smithii for me. He recently had a shipment come in, but no smithii. So I spent the last few days convincing myself to go with a Ternatensis, and when I finally reached the point that I was going to buy one, my "connection" wrote me back and said he had found a pretty female :) She has a few marks on her from shipping and what not, but it's nothing that won't go away with a molt, (as Dr Roy Cadwell assured :)).

I have pictures of her, but I don't want to get too excited after what happened with the last Smithii I was buying..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to see if a few of my LFS could get one for me. But I was a bit gun-shy after my last special order from my normal LFS. Their suppliers seem to have a hard time ID'ing species, so I wasn't about to rely on them to get a specific type of mantis shrimp.

Have you tried to find a mantis locally?

They are expensive, but you know what you are getting is top quality stuff :)

With shipping, it would cost me almost $120 to get an orange spot from them..... ouch...

The owner of mymantisshrimp.com kept an eye out for a Smithii for me and came through :) Adam is a great guy, and I recommend him for anyone looking for a nice mantis.

My Smithii should arrive tomorrow :)

My new gal in her holding tank. (photo by Adam Shuss)

smithiisale15.jpg

Woah, very cool!! I'm psyched for you, and now I want one! :lol:

You should get one!! I haven't even gotten mine yet and I'm already enjoying her! lol

Awesome!!!!

Thanks!

Very nice. Has it taken up residence somewhere, building a den?

I'll know when she gets here :) I've set up two seperate piles of rock in the tank. I'm hoping she takes up residence in the right half of the tank. Somewhere I can see her. I might do some more re-arranging tonight to help coax her into building a forward facing den. I also need to remove the CUC I added after the tank finished cycling. What does everyone do for a CUC with these guys? I've heard big giant turbos will sometimes be left alone, but with my luck she whack one and leave it's dead giant carcass to rot in the tank, lol. Perhaps small tuxedo urchins and nassarius snails?

:tears: Thats sad news :(

I would have gone with a peacock, but I wanted something more "night-stand-able".

11g002.jpg

Love the rimless, I would love to have a species tank. I would hook them all together in one giant system ! you think about plumbing them ?

ps, weird you have that wine rack, my wife just brought home the exact same one 3 days ago ! its in the same room as the tank too. ha :lol:

My mantis arrived happy and healthy yesterday! I got some pics but I won't have them up till tonight. What a mess she has made already... there were little dust clouds flying all over the place last night. And her tiny little hammers make the funniest little clicky noises.. :lol:

The crystal clear water in this tank is so cloudy right now... it's like a little construction zone going on in there. She's been kicking up so much sand and busting up so much rock that it's a complete mess in there.. lol

The cool thing, is she has built two burrows, one in each pile of rocks. It's pretty cool! She has little peep holes everywhere so she can see what I'm doing when I'm around.

This is her sneak attack, she goes from

this:

Mantislion003.jpg

to this:

Mantislion002.jpg

It's the "hey, I'll whack that smile right off your face" stare down.

How did I not get into these little wacko's earlier??

She's very curious. I'll look around the tank for her, can't find her, and sure enough she'll already be poking her head out somewhere staring at me... lol Haven't tried feeding her yet, but there were a few snails left in there after I took out what I can and it's pretty obvious she already found one of them..

Archived