Innovative Marine Aquariums

the cycle

rllemmon

That is just really weird, I've never heard of an LFS doing an actual instant "package" like that. It just seems so wrong on so many different levels. But I'm glad they took the clowns back temporarily for you. It's not really going to hurt your cycle to run your skimmer (although it may slightly prolong it), I ran activated carbon and did water changes mid-cycle because I was trying to soft cycle. But I'd suggest you wait to run it until you see your ammonia falling if you choose to do it early. Most people won't run their skimmer until their cycle is complete. They'll likely only run it if they're trying to soft cycle because they're trying to preserve life on their live rock.

Well I dont know what to say, the reef shop I go to had 5, 10 and 20 gal setups they all included live sand , rock , 2 clowns and a shrimp or firefish. Plus the filter and lighting. The sand wasnt packaged...it came in 5 bags with saltwater....much like the fish and rock did....they sell there own sand I guess...IDK , I think the idea is that since all that is given to u comes from an established tank...you shouldnt have such a cycle that it wouldnt kill off the fish. Except the water....that was sealed on the 2 gal containers...Natural live salt water. Thats what was in the deal.

Ill wait to run the skimmer, I just have the 2 power heads and the filter...hoping the powerheads will get the sand off my gorgeous rock :(

OClownsandNanos
Well I dont know what to say, the reef shop I go to had 5, 10 and 20 gal setups they all included live sand , rock , 2 clowns and a shrimp or firefish. Plus the filter and lighting. The sand wasnt packaged...it came in 5 bags with saltwater....much like the fish and rock did....they sell there own sand I guess...IDK , I think the idea is that since all that is given to u comes from an established tank...you shouldnt have such a cycle that it wouldnt kill off the fish. Except the water....that was sealed on the 2 gal containers...Natural live salt water. Thats what was in the deal.

Ill wait to run the skimmer, I just have the 2 power heads and the filter...hoping the powerheads will get the sand off my gorgeous rock :(

They can't guarantee that you won't have a cycle since transportation is involved, especially if they're moving around a lot of live sand in bags. It's potentially unnecessary stress or death on the fish and inverts, and I'd consider it a much better practice to give you an IOU so you could come back at a later date after all your parameters were zero'd out to pick up your livestock if part of a package. If they had done that, you wouldn't have felt you had to add different ammonia binders/bacteria accelerators to your tank, would you? JMO.

You can use a turkey baster to blow off the sand too - if you don't already have one, get one. You will find it very useful. :)

They can't guarantee that you won't have a cycle since transportation is involved, especially if they're moving around a lot of live sand in bags. It's potentially unnecessary stress or death on the fish and inverts, and I'd consider it a much better practice to give you an IOU so you could come back at a later date after all your parameters were zero'd out to pick up your livestock if part of a package. If they had done that, you wouldn't have felt you had to add different ammonia binders/bacteria accelerators to your tank, would you? JMO.

You can use a turkey baster to blow off the sand too - if you don't already have one, get one. You will find it very useful. :)

Thanks! I never thought of that. As for my lfs, "Pet Paradise" They are really great , its a family run store for over 30 yrs, all of the owners sons from a young age were made to learn all about SW and FW aqaria, I think the packaged deals may be more to cater to the impatient than anything else. If I would have known what I know now I would have taken the same deal but had them let me get the fish later, and they would do it no problem, They are holding my fish for free "however long it takes to get it right" and check my water for free too, and have also given me great deals. I dont want my story to give them a bad name , they are great honest people ...never trying to sell me anything....the chemicals I bought were from advice taken off of another forum. My lfs advised me to bring the fish in and let the tank "sit and do its thing" At any rate im an animal lover and have three exotic birds, 2 dogs and a cat. The SW tank is something Ive always wanted but feared it was too dificult and time consuming...and expensive, so far i was right! lol. But I look forward to having my little tank with my two clowns and maybe some coral..maybe even an anemone if im ever brave enough to try one. Glad I found this forum , and thanks so much again....your all so helpful, and quick to respond!

OClownsandNanos

Well that does sound a lot better than I thought. Right now since all the animals are out of the tank you have time to wait for the cycle to happen. Because you stirred up the sand bed a bit, you may see your ammonia climb for a little bit. Just be patient and as they suggested let it "do its thing." I just added my clownfish to my display tank this past week and my tank's been up for over two months (they were in a quarantine tank for 5 weeks). My big "cycle" was measurably over in the first two weeks, BTW. Going fast is not recommended in this hobby. Once your ammonia and nitrites get down to zero, do a larger water change (to bring down your nitrates) and go ahead and start adding some of your clean up crew. After a few weeks if everything's going well, consider adding your clowns back. In the meantime, read like crazy here at nano-reef, and more generally online and off, and you will be in an awesome position to take care of your livestock.

Well that does sound a lot better than I thought. Right now since all the animals are out of the tank you have time to wait for the cycle to happen. Because you stirred up the sand bed a bit, you may see your ammonia climb for a little bit. Just be patient and as they suggested let it "do its thing." I just added my clownfish to my display tank this past week and my tank's been up for over two months (they were in a quarantine tank for 5 weeks). My big "cycle" was measurably over in the first two weeks, BTW. Going fast is not recommended in this hobby. Once your ammonia and nitrites get down to zero, do a larger water change (to bring down your nitrates) and go ahead and start adding some of your clean up crew. After a few weeks if everything's going well, consider adding your clowns back. In the meantime, read like crazy here at nano-reef, and more generally online and off, and you will be in an awesome position to take care of your livestock.

I think that the more I read, the more comfortable ill be with the hobby.... friends of mine laughed when I took the fish back..saying" geez they are just fish" but I think I would have cried if they died...thats just me though. I would probably be approaching the end of this cycle if I hadnt brought the fish home...ehhhh. But you live and learn I suppose. Im in no rush to bring them back....bringing them home early will only prolong this whole process. Ill be waiting until there is no doubt that the tank can handle them. I dont need to do anything to the tank at all now correct? Seeing how theres no waste being produced....the ammonia that is already in the tank is good enough right? Never thought Id be so excited about the thought of a high nitrite reading....lol. Hopefully I will get one in the weeks ahead. Atleast that way i will know things are moving in the right direction! Thanks a ton

OClownsandNanos

That is correct. You've got live rock and live sand in your tank, and that alone will get you through your cycle. Also consider starting a tank thread in the Members Aquariums forum to create a log of sorts for yourself. I'd definitely read it and I'm sure others would too! :) You can provide a link to it at the end of this thread if you decide to do it, I'm sure others who are following this thread would be interested in seeing how it all turns out. :) Good luck!

And I think I forgot to say this in the beginning, but :welcome: !! Sounds like you'll be a nice addition to the community here should you decide to stay.

Buy a turkey baster to blow the sand and crap off the rocks. You're going to need one eventually anyway.

I'd run the skimmer starting now. Skimming out crap is never a bad thing, especially since it's just going to feed algae as there's really nothing else in the tank to process it.

Buy a turkey baster to blow the sand and crap off the rocks. You're going to need one eventually anyway.

I'd run the skimmer starting now. Skimming out crap is never a bad thing, especially since it's just going to feed algae as there's really nothing else in the tank to process it.

Thanks for the nfo, BTW I have gone through your threads and its very interesting to watch your setups go from the very beginning, awesome !

Glad to hear it, looks like you've got some nice, porous rock in there! Like your rockwork too.

Its just Totoka, but I like the branch type rocks for looks...unfortunately its not really as stackable...it is porous...thus all of the little creatures ive inherited!...the ammonia is reading 2.0 today on the API kit :( , 0.05 on the ammo alert.....just letting it stew

OClownsandNanos
Its just Totoka, but I like the branch type rocks for looks...unfortunately its not really as stackable...it is porous...thus all of the little creatures ive inherited!...the ammonia is reading 2.0 today on the API kit :( , 0.05 on the ammo alert.....just letting it stew

Yeah don't be surprised if it spikes - if the live sand got moved quite a bit it's gonna happen. Look on the bright side: given how much ammonia your LR/LS is giving off, you are gonna have a robust biofilter once it completely cycles!

Yeah don't be surprised if it spikes - if the live sand got moved quite a bit it's gonna happen. Look on the bright side: given how much ammonia your LR/LS is giving off, you are gonna have a robust biofilter once it completely cycles!

Everything is at 0 again, however I have the rusty algea growing all over my rock...dia prob im sure...phosphates , but I changed the water and ill see what it all looks like next week ...then maybe ill bring one of the 2 clowns home and see how that goes. Thanks for all your help again. Have a nice holiday!

Your cycle seems to have finished

You should probably add some snails and if you want a couple of hermit crabs first before you add the fish

the cleanup crew should help get rid of the diatoms

OClownsandNanos
Your cycle seems to have finished

You should probably add some snails and if you want a couple of hermit crabs first before you add the fish

the cleanup crew should help get rid of the diatoms

+1 - add your CUC first, wait a week or two and if they stay alive and well (which they should but it's best not to take any chances), then add your clowns. Your LFS sounds cool, so they probably won't mind holding your little guys for another few weeks. I'm very happy for you, BTW!

• 3 weeks later...
+1 - add your CUC first, wait a week or two and if they stay alive and well (which they should but it's best not to take any chances), then add your clowns. Your LFS sounds cool, so they probably won't mind holding your little guys for another few weeks. I'm very happy for you, BTW!

Hello neighbor...... Chesapeke here!

Just hoping to hear how the tank is going for ya

Wes

Hello neighbor...... Chesapeke here!

Just hoping to hear how the tank is going for ya

Wes

Thanks! everything is fine, This specific tank gave me a harder time than any other but I beat it in to sumission, ie spent every day working it. :) In the end I dont know what it was really for sure but it was perfect across the board in 3 days. ....who knows . So are you a reef chiefer , animal jungle or pet paradise? lol

Thanks! everything is fine, This specific tank gave me a harder time than any other but I beat it in to sumission, ie spent every day working it. :) In the end I dont know what it was really for sure but it was perfect across the board in 3 days. ....who knows . So are you a reef chiefer , animal jungle or pet paradise? lol

Pet Paridise, Animal Jungle...... No more Fish Safari for me :angry:

Care a Lot on Diamond Springs recently added some nicely priced frags (10-20 dollars)

Im glad to hear your tank has "come around"

Wes

Archived