ReefCleaners.org

Tank running for 3 days now

nycxaro

My new nano tank has been running for 3 days now. Its a 5.5 AGA with about 8lbs or LR and 10 lbs of LS. The tank's ammonia has risen. Is it possible that the ammonia rises so high that everything in the tank crashes? Has this happened before. Please help me guys. Im really confused

yes. excellent link caja. also, keep in mind that some people advocate for water changes during the cycle almost daily to keep the ammonia spike in check a little bit. what else are you confused about? go....i love answering.

thanks for the quick response guys.

My LR's used to be covered in red stuff. I understand that is a good thing. Now, the red stuff is disappearing and only a few patches exist here/there. There also seems to be strands of hair or wavy tiny plants all over the rocks. Is this normal?

How long should i keep the lights on during cycling?

Do i topoff the tank every day, alternate days, weekly?

can i use tap water, boiled water, aged water for topoff?

whats the proper ph for the tank? i had a reading of 8.0

im using instant ocean salt mix and i think its supposed to buffer it to 8.3

thanks again guys

depends on what the red stuff is wether it's good or bad.

depends on the lights as far as hours go....but i wouldn't light it too heavily untill you get a clean up crew in there. daily topoff is best. you should use RO/DI or distilled water. not tap, boiled, or aged.

i think there are more beginners links somewhere on the front page of nano reef....beginners articles....read read read read and read.

i've a diy hood with 2 19w curly bulbs and a 10w 50/50. wutchu think about that? how many hrs u recomend leaving on for cycling? for topoff... do you use a cup? 2 cups? 3?

thanks

Here's simple trick to know how much to top off daily. Mark with a sharpie on the back side of the tank where your desired water level is, then simply add you ro/di or bottled distilled back up to that level.

Lighting, just run about 10 hours or so.

Please take the time to read through the link I provided you with above. It offers a wealth of information and will help you tremendously.

Archived