Cultivated Reef

diy stand plans

bitts

lol every once in a while i make myself sit down & learn how to do the component thing but i always forget by the next time i need it. maybe next time i'll try the bulkhead & post it to the warehouse. lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phi delta,

That stand looks awesome. The light hood is a neat idea. I had originally experimented with doing a 2 part stand like this, however it was scrapped due to the tank setup I wanted to have. If you have a build thread I would love to read it.

How to do you attached the plywood on the top? do you screw it in? I afraid it will create an uneven because of the screw?

if your worried about the screw heads on the surface causing it to have problems. such as water seeping into the joint causing it to swell & rot. would recommend pocket holes from beneath. followed by caulking & several coats of kills to seal it.

phi delt reefer
+1 caulking and kilz sealer.

Also it doesn't hurt to use a screw rated for exterior use. They won't rust.

Deck screws. If you have access to a power nailer/framer use framing nails. They are stronger than screws - thats why they frame houses with nails and put up dry wall with screws B) - though I used deck screws - I hate hammers :angry:

my other advice is to bring your lumber home and let it sit within your home (not your garage) for a few days so acclimatizes to your indoor environment. That stuff bends and warps even after you have built the damn thing. They do the same thing when you have new hardwood floors installed.

Deck screws. If you have access to a power nailer/framer use framing nails. They are stronger than screws - thats why they frame houses with nails and put up dry wall with screws

Nails are cheaper and much faster to use than screws, and sufficient for framing a house, and that's why they use them, but they only have a tiny fraction of the holding power of screws. The only strength advantage of nails is in shear-strength, but in terms of pull-out strength, screws are dozens of times stronger than nails. But avoid drywall screws (except for putting up drywall) because they are rather weak.

• 3 months later...

So this is from another thread but thought I should through it up here as well.

hey Joe some thing like this.

fram%20part%202.png

frame%20part%203.png

frame%20part%204.pngback%20skined.png

frame%20with%20top.png

now in the mock up I left out a couple things like crossbeams & such. But I figure that's pretty easy to throw in. If it looks good I'll throw it up on the sketch up warehouse. so you can download it.

couple more

notched%20for%20cross%20braceing.pngcrossbeams.png

75 display with either a 55 or a 40b for the sump. also though mostly in this thread I've been talking about moving away from 2x4's & such the plan above is for the most bomb prof stand for the least money possible. So yeah bed bolts & lag bolts all over the place in that one.

Since this is your tread and you revived it I will add mine.

DIY with a little help for those that don't want to build it from scratch.

Check out the kitchen and bath cabinets at your local hardware store. They come unstained without tops. This one is a kitchen cabinet sink base. 36"Lx24"Wx34"H. Perfect for a 40 breeder and less. I cut mine down to 20" I didn't have the room for it to stick out 24". You can get them with drawers as well.

Of course my special hood hanger. You can check out the build for this in my 20Long thread.

Stand3.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

DSCN0359.jpg

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

I have a question while you experts are here.

I have a 22G custom tank, (24"L x 18"W x 12"H), and i'm planning on a 20H sump (24"L x 12"W x 16"H).

How can I do a stand for this? The 22G is drilled with a corner overflow and 2 1" bulkheads in the bottom, so needs clearance for these.

All help is appreciated and needed.

1) plan/build a stand with this in mind. (corner plumbing)

2) take the bulkheads out of the tank.

3) flip the tank & use paper to make a template. showing where to drill the holes. make sure the holes are large enough to give the bulkheads clearance & if it needs to be one hole. so as to not stress the tank so be it.

Since this is your tread and you revived it I will add mine.

DIY with a little help for those that don't want to build it from scratch.

Check out the kitchen and bath cabinets at your local hardware store. They come unstained without tops. This one is a kitchen cabinet sink base. 36"Lx24"Wx34"H. Perfect for a 40 breeder and less. I cut mine down to 20" I didn't have the room for it to stick out 24". You can get them with drawers as well.

Of course my special hood hanger. You can check out the build for this in my 20Long thread.

Stand3.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

DSCN0359.jpg

I have been thinking about doing something like this, but have been a bit nervous about the weight. I am planning a 24" rimless cube and using granite counter top. Any ideas?

shouldn't worry that much I sit my counters all the time, & have stood on several while hanging cabinets. Trust me when I say I weigh alot more than your normal nano.

shouldn't worry that much I sit my counters all the time, & have stood on several while hanging cabinets. Trust me when I say I weigh alot more than your normal nano.

I was thinking the same thing, but I am pretty sure I don't weigh more than a 60gal cube (2'x2'x2').

I just read through that guy's stand on RC (the one coated with brown ceramic tile). pretty impressive! Someday I hope to be flossin' enough to be able to build a large custom rimless tank like that.

I agree that you don't just have to use wood to skin a stand. I used slate, and wood.

I also really liked the guy's sliding door ideas. At first I was all like "wtf, how is that going to work?", but then once he posted the picture I understood. It looks clean but you need a lot of extra space to be able to open doors like that!!

I still haven't finished my doors yet. I don't want them to look like doors though. I want it to look more like an integral part of the stand, especially since I'll have 6 doors/access points in total.

something I was thinking about for how to get the sides to be removeable is & can't remember the name. but you take a 1x2 or some thing cut it at a 45 down the center & bolt it to the back of the cabienit while the other half is on the wall. then the weight forms a pressure lock. the same thing could be used pretty easily on a stand.

I have been thinking about doing something like this, but have been a bit nervous about the weight. I am planning a 24" rimless cube and using granite counter top. Any ideas?

Most people over build stands. Just go look at a Mfg stand. The one for a 55gal has no 2x4s in it. I would have no concern about putting a 40 gal on my stand.

Archived