inTank Media Baskets

15g Tank

tinyreefer

I would like to try a seagrass tank on a small scale.

I would also like to do as few water changes as I can.

Things I know:

1) I need an established sand bed of at least 4 inches for the type of seagrass I am looking at.

2) I also need a lot of light, which I have. 2 x 65w PC.

3) I have enough flow

Things I need to know:

1) With that much light I will need some way to control algae at first. I don't know if I need a skimmer or snails or a sea hare. I don't know if the snails should be disturbing the sand bed with the roots in it.

2) I don't know if I should have Live Rock in there or some other means to filter water.

3) I don't know what kind of critters besides a sea hare that are found in sea grass beds.

most fish shelter in seagrass beds as juveniles, including groupers, tangs, angels, triggers, etc.

1. more light does not necessarily mean more algae. I have 2x65w over my 10g and I have no nuisance algae in the display.

2. live rock in the display would be beneficial from a biologic as well as an aesthetic point of view. alternatively, you could add a sump filled with live rock.

3. inspiration: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/sl/index.php

I had a bunch of turtle and shoal grass. Just be careful with planting them. make a hole to stick the roots into. Dont be surprised if the turtle grass dies and then comes back.

You might want to consider putting a small layer of mud down then the sand.

I put in the 3" substrate and I have put on a small HOB filter. I had some substrate already in the tank so I think there are worms in there.

From what I read there are rocks and coral interspersed in the sea grass bed. That will be interesting to see if I can work that in.

I have studied articles on sea grass including the ones suggested earlier in this topic. The following are some ideas I have for livestock from the articles: (I believe all these will work in a 15g.) Not all together though.

Yellow Headed Jawfish - special burrow requirements may be met with "housing".

Pink Streaked Wrasse

Orange Lined Cardinal

Long Spined Cardinal

Neon Goby

Masked Goby

Greenbanded Goby

Red Head Goby

Invertebrates:

Nassarius vibex snails

Cerith snails

There are of course others but I cannot find some of the suggested crabs and grass shrimp. And I have a bias against sea horses, pipe fish, clowns and anemones. I am not saying they aren't great, I just don't want them.

I will start with shoal grass and see how that goes. I have not put mud in and don't know if I will. It is pretty expensive. I wish there was a cheap alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just ordered some shoal grass and a turtle grass. Currently I have a very small wrasse and a pseudochromis keeping the biological stuff going. Not sure if I will transfer these to another tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived