Pod Your Reef

ID on algae.. caulerpa ? Hair ?

Neto

Hi all

I have a 10g tank and there is some algae growing everywhere.... including sand. I have seen hair algae before but I dont think this looks like it...

P1020235.jpg

P1020234.jpg

P1020233.jpg

Looks like the tank is still new so you'll have a good chance at irradiating it before the addition of livestock. Elevated Kent Marine Tech-M Magnesium seem to be the best measure for nano systems. I would do a search on the forum for Bryopsis and go from there.

Looks like the tank is still new so you'll have a good chance at irradiating it before the addition of livestock. Elevated Kent Marine Tech-M Magnesium seem to be the best measure for nano systems. I would do a search on the forum for Bryopsis and go from there.

I will start searching

oh god, I just added 2 sps frags and now this

+1

you can dose magnesium to raise your levels up to 1500ppm and it should go away. Make sure to test for magnesium if dosing though.

You can just use epsom salts. But epsom salt will raise both your magnesium and your salinity, so make sure not to raise your SG. Add some epsom salt, but then you may want to take out some of the salt water and replace it with RO to keep your SG from getting too high.

Or you can just get a magnesium suppliment. This will cost more, but will not effect salinity as far as I know.

OClownsandNanos

I'd suggest you get a small, varied CUC (a few ceriths, astreas, trochus maybe, nerites, possibly a turbo) see if they'll chow down. If none of them will touch it at all, then consider more drastic measures like Kent Tech M. If it truly is bryopsis, it's poison to your CUC and they'll refuse to eat it.

But you have SPS frags? :huh:

no fish either, not allow of waste..... I wanted to "Test" the led fixture that I built recently (a couple of months ago) and there was a good deal on Mr.Coral (its local to me) so I bought two sps frags for $10...

The thing is that I keep hearing bad things about all types of CUC and there is not alot of selection nearby... I guess that I should have waited before adding anything...

I have had the rocks for a while (maybe 3 years) but the tank had to re-cycle due to a crash.... Its been up since early JAN.

OClownsandNanos

Well, from my personal experience (and I've only had them for over a month), I really like Astreas, ceriths, and trochus the best for algae eating. (I don't mind my hermit crabs but I won't suggest them if you are concerned about them eating snails as they likely eventually will eat some.) I like my relatively small turbo too, but I picked him small and I don't know what he'll be like when he's bigger. I had the biggest algae bloom, I swear, and they've gone to town on it. It's definitely getting under control, but I'm still fighting it daily with the CUC and every so often some manual removal.

What's weird is everyone keeps talking about astreas and how they keep falling over - I've got seven of them and I had to right one up maybe once or twice tops in the last month. Maybe I just got some smart ones that don't fall down, LOL.

For the guys above, I would not say one bad thing about them. Really. My nerites are efficient also, that is when they're actually working and not huddled in a corner at the top of the tank. :P

Hi all

I have a 10g tank and there is some algae growing everywhere.... including sand. I have seen hair algae before but I dont think this looks like it...

P1020235.jpg

P1020234.jpg

P1020233.jpg

I don;t think it is bryopsis. That looks exactly like what I had (See my thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...;#entry2686240)

I added an emerald crab and 24 hours later it was gone. I physically saw him eating it off the glass. He even made sure to grab the holdfast.

just the midrib and the branches then huh?

yea it kinda structurally resembles the "foxtail" freshwater plant, only more ferny/feathery/bendy. From searchin online, it seems like Bryopsis IS the only choice. D:

I don't think that is Bryop, imo. How old is this tank?

tank has been setup for 1.5 months, but the rock was on my previous tank, which I had for 4+ years but it crashed so it had to re-cycle. I bought new sand and re-used the rock.

So new tank, new sand, new pumps, new sump.

i had the same in my 10g right after the cycle. just be patient and get a good cuc. i dont have a speck of that stuff now.

thanks for responding!

it is actually turning kinda yellowish... I will have to double check today.

I will get a good cuc soon

Archived