Top Shelf Aquatics

Amphitrite's Mt. Wannahockaloogie

Amphitrite

Yea problem is they make rotating slip rings for electric (fairly cheap) --- they also make them for liquid (hydraulics on heavy equipment) but I bet they are way more high dollar.

Amphitrite --- after many exhaustive talks with your husband this will be a totally kewl build. You actually have 3 ways of turning down the rpm so between them you should be able to get the speed right. And if you use an adjustable power supply as the final speed adjustment then you should be able to dial in the exact speed to make it look totally kewl.

P.S. --- If you win we split the prize -- tell your husband I said so --- to many boring days at work, discussing this with him via txt messages :wacko:

Prize? OH yeah, this is a contest ;) We've been having so much fun (despite the banter), that I tend to forget how I got involved in this project!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prize?

Prize ?? Oh yea we are suppose to have those -- sure glad everybody is focused on a long term pico and not a prize ;)

Eventually we'll get a couple of sponsors but I like the idea of a build contest instead of a prize contest.

Prize ?? Oh yea we are suppose to have those -- sure glad everybody is focused on a long term pico and not a prize ;)

Eventually we'll get a couple of sponsors but I like the idea of a build contest instead of a prize contest.

I love the challenge of the build....but, cannot say I love sanding the glass with the belt sander....Extra Strength Excedrin Migrane anyone???? :blink:

If the execution works out as well as the idea you might actually get my vote -- of course if Hawke found out he would be a bit upset. :o

Come now all a "." means is you were being an arse. :haha: and you could have just used the delete option.

or posting to the wrong thread :o

This bad boy is going to be rotating! :o I love the the idea. You have my vote for the most innovative thus far.

I'm certainly excited about it. I've got the lazy susan and slip ring, now I'm waiting on the motor and other parts to come in. The hurry up and wait game is not one that I'm good at playing :( Don't tell my husband that I have an idea for another build....that's how I'm spending idle time...coming up with new ideas :o

If the execution works out as well as the idea you might actually get my vote -- of course if Hawke found out he would be a bit upset. :o

I'm enjoying watching all the builds, it amazes me how many unique ideas we have going in this contest. I have to say though, Hawke's idea is quite a clever one. Fashion meets Function at its finest!

I'll have to see everyone's entries before I see who gets most innovative, but it's a cool concept for sure!

I agree.....how's your build coming?

........ I've got the lazy susan and slip ring, .....
This thread sucks without more pics.

Let us see the lazy susan and slip ring.

I am happy to participate for the sake of creating a beautiful pico. That is prize enough for me.

Following along to your build.

You said pics???? Here you go...

The Hawaiian dry rock: yet to meet a good scrubbing, hammer, and grinder

pico%20rocks.jpg

Here is only part of the rotation equipment - the lazy susan, round panel, and slip ring

rotation%20parts.jpg

The beginning of the prototype - BTW 1/4" glass is a pain to grind!

tools%20of%20the%20trade.jpg

The bottom of the protoype

cuttin%20glass.jpg

This is what the tank will look like, only using 1/8" double strength glass

prototype_side.jpg

Shot from the top

prototype_top.jpg

This is Napoleon...not part of the project, but a cutie that was just added to our 30 gallon

Napoleon.jpg

Thanks a million! I wondered if the glass drill bit would work. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to construct the mountain.....it'll take two weeks to get the drill bit I need or two weeks for the silicone to set....patience - right?

Here's a tank with a stand pipe return covered in LR

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2636496

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2723665

Where did your pics go? :huh:

Masked and ready for the silicone

Prepped%20and%20ready.jpg

backbreaking.jpg

"Raising" the tank

PITA.jpg

A DIY hex tank is a true test of patience......

Offical%20Methodology%20FTS%20submission%20pic.jpg

Thanks - I appreciate everyone's kind comments. This build has been an event of massive collaborative efforts thus far! When the bottom corner cracked yesterday during the sanding process and the prototype had to be torn down & silicone removed so that I could use that base for the final tank.....I was a bit frustrated :angry: . Now we just wait and see if it holds water :mellow:

Good job on building the new tank, looks really clean.

That's some big pipe, should be good for about 2,500 GPH omgomgomg

Wanted to make sure the corals had LOTS of flow :lol: lol!

o man, good luck with your struggle !

It's all good....I have plenty of play time to work out any kinks, plus I'm seeing a cute little cube pico in the near future with the remaining panes from the "prototype" :happy:

Archived