Cultivated Reef

OscarMeyer's 130D Illumina Powered.

OscarMeyer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OscarMeyer
Definitely a Mantis. Get him out of there.

Are you sure?

I was thinking he was an amphipod, i also haven't noticed any of my clean up crew going missing, ill keep my eye on him tho.

OscarMeyer

It has begun!!!

4610291684_016d0799b9.jpg

4609688133_cf5868dd73.jpg

4610300132_0668d9291a.jpg

4610298696_2a82a66927.jpg

4610293108_f685bf221a.jpg

4610294488_12214cfd8b.jpg

4610301444_e6792ec673.jpg

a few pics of the install of the lights:

4609666095_87378ff232.jpg

4610311058_7db8d128f2.jpg

and just the other morning i came out to find this little guy, about half the size of a Quetip

4609524211_64ffeb62ce.jpg

Cheers OscarMeyer

It is a Bristle (fire) worm.

Harmless scavenger.....some people view them as pests others beneficial....I try to keep them with in reason.

• 4 weeks later...
It is a Bristle (fire) worm.

Harmless scavenger.....some people view them as pests others beneficial....I try to keep them with in reason.

it looks like the leg of a small brittle star, i have plenty in my tank, did it have all one color or was it red and white? open the lid to the tank, if it shoots back in the whole or "shrinks" it is probably a fireworm/bristleworm. But i'm 90% sure it is the leg to a star.

and i'm pretty sure that is an amphipod, it looked like it was about 2-4" long, and then i saw it next to the snail and realized it was 2-4mm, once again 90% sure it's a pod, you'll see tons of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i guess i should update this, tank went through a rough patch, i bought a SPS acro, anyways on my attempt to mount him to the high placed rock, the rocks actually all collapsed on themselves, luckily i have no fish in there, and the other corals were still in the sand, so i quickly did a rescape and am loving the outcome.

I've had a bit of bad luck with fish too, bought a lawnmower blenny, but about a week later started swimming erratically going head first into rocks, needless to say i woke up to the hermits having a snack, i actually went back down to the LFS yesterday and heres what i got:

The Goods:

1 Onyx clown fish ( half black and orange )

1 yasha gobie

1 candy cane pistol shrimp

1 green sps ( unsure of the name yet)

1 hammer coral

1 large feather duster

i put these all in the tank last night, after running them all through drip acclimation for roughly 30-45 mins, i awake this morning to the clown floating at the side of the tank, i tried to feed him this morning and he just seemed like he wanted to swim in the current, check on him within 15 mins and hes floating upside down against the grate to the back part of the tank, wanted to see if he was dead and i could actually touch him and give him a push before he would start moving and when he did begin to move, he just floated around the tank bumping into the rockwork, needless to say 15 mins later he was dead, everything else in the tank is fine, and the yasha is hiding in the back of the rockwork, and looks to be ok

my parameters are 0's across the board, and my salinity is 1.025 exactly the same as the LFS with a temp of 80-82 deg, im definitely getting alittle flustered with the fish cause as it stands now ive had 80 bucks worth of fish die on me :(

heres a FTS, i got a new camera and a macro lens so expect some better shots soon

4743020841_1bbcb05efb_b.jpg

Cheers OscarMeyer

Just a keep qord, yasha is eating mysis like crazy! and everything in the tank seems to be perking up, ill post up some good shots from my new camera tonight

Cheers OscarMeyer

I like where your tank is going. Sorry about the fish losses. So there's enough recessed space in the hood for 4 stunner strips huh? That's nice, I thought it was tighter between the lid and the water.

• 4 weeks later...

it is a bit tight, had to do alittle trimming here and there, but everything fitted up real nice!

I'm thinking i may have just got unlucky with the fish as i went out and got some new additions lately, i think i was moving alittle to quick as well so im letting the tank mature nice and slow now, and im gonna setup my doser when i make another trip to the LFS.

heres a couple more pics:

4837751497_3b1aeea1b4_b.jpg

4837754293_f28c591ae4_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok well im trying to get rid of the bi-color, well because he started to nip at the corals :(

im also looking to upgrade my lighting to MH, and am very interested in the nanotuners MH rsm upgrade 150w, i like the look of the tank with the hood on hence why i want to keep it! now i know im gonna need a chiller, but does anyone have any personal info on this product? i havent found alot of people using it?

• 4 weeks later...
a few pics of the install of the lights:

4609666095_87378ff232.jpg

4610311058_7db8d128f2.jpg

are these ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips? if so what colors? and do you think having 4 is too much?

i'm thinking about picking up a pair of blue ones for my RSM..

are these ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips? if so what colors? and do you think having 4 is too much?

i'm thinking about picking up a pair of blue ones for my RSM..

i dont think there is to much, and these are the 453nm, and 403nm. they give the tank a really nice shimmer to it!

Alittle update, ordered the new Vertex Illumina 24", im also ordering the LifeReef overflow, the one designed for the RSM, planning on setting up a sump and getting this into a SPS clam dominated tank!

• 2 weeks later...

hahahaha i do get that all the time!

well after much thought ive decided to sell the tank, ive really enjoyed it but really have learned quite a few things in which i can make a much better tank........... In its place ill be starting up a rimless 30x30x20 cube with 37 gal Tall tank for mangrove/fuge area, and a 40 gallon sump stay tuned for a new build thread!

NewZealandReefie

Ooo, I like your dimensions. It's that little bit shallower than a Red Sea.

I'll definitely be doing something lower when I move on from my RSM. It's a PITA trying to reach the bottom and still see what I'm doing (I'm not exactly tall)! Even a couple of inches would make all the difference.

Be keeping an eye out for your new build thread.

thanks! i think i may use this thread as its open as a semi plan out stage.

right now its pretty much the same height as the RSM, im thinking i may make it 18" but not 100% sure of that yet.

I'm planning on housing a Blue Spot jawfish, so I'll have a thick sandbed, so I'm hoping that will take up some room, making reaching into the tank alittle easier!

Cheers

NewZealandReefie

True true, taking into account that the RSM with it's hood is 23.8” in height I guess you're right! I was thinking of it without the hood for some reason. I think if I build something I'll try for around 16". The sand bed depth I prefer serves no actual function, it's purely cosmetic so I wouldn't need to take that into account.

Blue Spots are awesome! Beautiful little fish. Got any idea of when you'll have the tank built by?

Good luck with it all!

I was hoping to have the tank start building within the week, but i just received the quote from a local store and they want 1700 for the tank, and that includes delivery, i was alittle stunned espcially because ive seen bigger tanks for alot less, i think i may end up ordering the Marineland 30x30x18 cube, only downside is its not rimless and no starphire, but its almost 1300 cheaper lol

Glass Cages has a 30x30x18 cube as well for a heck of a lot cheaper, although i dont know if they would deliver all the way to Canada

NewZealandReefie

Read the feedback on Glass Cages around this forum. Not so sure about their track record...

$1700... OUCH.

Ask around the forum and see if anyone has any ideas for a reputable, affordable company?

Yup already started reading about GC and noticed that it was quite a mixed review, so I've decided to hold off for a bit, until i can find something locally, there are some amazing places but getting the tank shipped into canada may be alittle hard.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Well after much deliberation, I decided that the funds i had saved to use on my car, I'm gonna keep and actually use those funds on my car, the tank is still so young i don't see the point in upgrading just yet, so for now the RSM is staying!

New addition update:

5123340987_ebb253630e_b.jpg

I also just received my Vertex Illumina, so ill be hopefully setting it up on the tank this weekend! Expect alot of pictures!

phi delt reefer
I also just received my Vertex Illumina, so ill be hopefully setting it up on the tank this weekend! Expect alot of pictures!

Jeez... that light is f---ing expensive! Should have bought the bigger tank with that money and built your own light. There are a few glass tank builders out in BC and one here in Toronto (Miracles). I also have the contact info for a cheap acrylic guy if you ever want to go that route in the future (i know your keeping the RSM now :) - good decision in my opinion). Jump on Canreef if your not already on there - lots of BIG TANK Canadians will get you hooked up ;)

cant wait to see that light

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a while, lots have changed, the tank how ever is starting to really come to life i feel, im really diggin my scape now, and the light is definitely adding to the tank, Ill have a review added to my thread soon. Vertex Aquaristik has probably one of the best company's I've dealt with in a long time!

New Camera, still working it out, these are straight off the camera:

5170042391_994715054c_b.jpg

5170045605_d0c7b9cfec_b.jpg

5170646144_01e9393910_b.jpg

5170043505_26ea3e3f24_b.jpg

Im going to just start posting more pictures as we go here!

Archived