Coral Vue Hydros

New frag tank 24x14x8 1/2

Carlton'sTank

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carlton'sTank

Taking some pics tonight of my full frag tank, because a lot of these are going to be gone soon. I have some tank stuff to do tonight, so I will upload some pics in a bit.

Taking some pics tonight of my full frag tank, because a lot of these are going to be gone soon. I have some tank stuff to do tonight, so I will upload some pics in a bit.

woo pics!!!!

Carlton'sTank
woo pics!!!!

I have been holding out because I switched back to MH after giving t5 a shot. A 4 bulb t5 system would have been nice, but I got a good deal on a viper that had a broken clamp. I did some DIY stuff and have been waiting for the new bulb before I took any pictures. It is here, so pictures are soon to follow.

Carlton'sTank

No sir. How did I know you would sniff out my frag tank update haha. I just got a bunch of palys/zoas and about 8 or so acan frags. Got some random sps like birdsnest and p-star monti, but those will probably be traded locally. I never really got into the whole chalice thing for whatever reason....well that's a lie, my girlfriend thinks they are ugly and it is easier to justify buying "pretty" stuff haha.

Carlton'sTank
I would like to get some of those acans from ya, they look really nice and healthy.

Thanks Bruce, I feed them often and check up on my stuff constantly. I fragged them over 3 weeks ago and everything seems to be doing really good. I try and take my time with fragging because shipping stuff directly after fragging = no bueno in my opinion.

Carlton'sTank
Ooops sorry man I took it down bro.

Dude, I was totally joking, I don't care what you put on my thread. I was giving you a hard time because I can't get a good shot of my purple hornets. I got a new light that is really crisp white and it doesn't give the pop like some leds or t5s out there.

Dude hurry up and finish your maintenance so you can get the pictures online. Some of us would like to see the future additions to our tanks.

Carlton'sTank

Sorry man. Update will come, but I had to rearrange and get my sales thread up first. Promise, new pictures will be here soon. I am trying to fit it in tonight after my WC in the display

• 2 weeks later...
Carlton'sTank

Sorry, been busy. Did some fragging tonight! Pictures won't be great, but I will get something up tonight.

Thanks to Violinist, I have a nice looking sig w/ a link to my threads.

Carlton'sTank
How do you frag your acans?

Dremel underneath until I get close enough to pry the rock with a flat-head. From there I take a scalpel and cut along the flesh to completely separate the pieces that I just broke apart after cutting. Hope that makes sense. I am almost positive that weetabix had a how to frag acan thread, and that is what I followed.

Carlton'sTank

Always. I usually don't post everything I have so I can respect the rules that are in place. PM me for any other info. I am in the stockton area, so we are close.

Always. I usually don't post everything I have so I can respect the rules that are in place. PM me for any other info. I am in the stockton area, so we are close.

your using the 2x24 from fishneedit?

and geting those nice colors? i have something similar, but have been using some old 130W pc's over a 10 ish gal. ill give those a shot if you could give some feed back on them..?

Carlton'sTank

Well, I got rid of the FNI 2X24 light and have a 150watt viper on there now. The stuff is starting to show some nice colors. I did some fragging last night and took a picture of the tank. Once everything is settled I will take better pics of the individual frags.

014-6.jpg

Well, I got rid of the FNI 2X24 light and have a 150watt viper on there now. The stuff is starting to show some nice colors. I did some fragging last night and took a picture of the tank. Once everything is settled I will take better pics of the individual frags.

what do you have for actinic lighting? i always thoughta bout the viper as well but i was afraid cus no actinic lighting.. ?

what are you using? and also howd u like the FNI light?

Carlton'sTank

I don't have actinic. I don't run actinic on my display either. I have a phoenix on my display and I think I am going to get a phoenix for this system as well. Actinic is nice for some pop, but I feel that I get good coloration w/o so I am not too worried.

The FNI light served it's purpose, but the wattage was not high enough to promote the growth and maintain the colors of some of the higher end corals I had in the tank. It was good for the acans, but no so great for the zoas and palys. I love metal halide and I think that even when I get a larger frag tank I will just run two mh lights rather than one longer t5 setup. It all comes down to personal preference and I prefer the mh because the colors of my pictures are good representations of what the average reefer will see in their tank. Those who have t5s can get brighter colors from my frags which will please them and those with other lighting won't be let down to what things look like in their tank compared to my pics.

Carlton'sTank

When I did the fragging, I bit the bullet and fragged two polyps from my purple hornet frag. It is day 2 and they are doing well. Pics might be on the way tonight.

Archived