Cultivated Reef

Kylebeano's Shallow LED Overskimmed 15g

Kylebeano

So..when you are filling her up?

Whenever I get the sump made, I'll have it plumbed in two days after probably.

Thanks for the suggestion about the acrylic place. If no one on NR can cut it I'll give them a call.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lookin' good man. I might have made the light "tree" a little shorter but it's right in line with what I was planning on doing for my tank. Instead of going the bent conduit route, I was planning on PVC and then painting it a nice matte black.
I agree with Dive here, Lower the lamp trees. I would also put some T's in the uprights and a brace across to keep the PVC from flexing in.

Altright guys, I spent the extra $1 and took care of the lamp tree a bit!

002-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

Looks a lot better bud. Only thing else I'd suggest would be spray painting it a nice matte black with Krylon Fusion. Would help to blend with the black back wall and would just look a little more sleek.

What diameter PVC did you use? 1" ?

-Adam

Thanks Adam, it's 3/4". I should have just gone with 1" though, since I could then use the mess of scrap I have for the drain plumbing and it possibly could have been a little more rigid. But, I think it would have looked too bulky for such a small tank.

Spanko, thank you for the advice. I aggree that it looks better and ties into the stand more. I would like to keep the PVC white though because it doesnt look that bad in person and slightly matches the white vinyl of the stand.

Maybe in a couple months when im bored and dont have a project I can use it to spray paint and change it up.

or paint the light hood shinny white matching the stand ...kinda give it like an ELOS looks to it..in a different shape...

following along since I have similar tank and setting up the same...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, not much to update :/

Ive installed the bulkheads, but need to wait for my next paycheck to finish the plumbing. I just went ahead and bought a regular 10g to use as a temp sump that barely fits in the stand. It'll just be for the skimmer and return, I just need to find a large dense sponge to use as a divider. Next update will have the rock wall in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Plumbing done. I went simple. Doing a freshwater test for now, first shot with no leaks! Im surprised and very happy. The ball valve is tricky to get the drain and return at equilibrium.

Got the rock/foam wall started. Now I need to get the epoxy and sand to finish the foam off. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. The back of it was the toughest part to clean and smooth out. The rock from reef cleaners is fantastic, I just had to smash a couple pieces to get them to smaller sizes. It looks much better in person of course lol. Almost there!

003-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

Reef Cleaners Rock FTW

001-2.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

013.jpg

Wow that's a really good looking wall. I normally don't like them too much and this one is really clean.

Way to go! That rock will lose it's white color in about a month and a half in my experience. I seeded a a ratio of like 4:1 dead to live.

Thanks for the compliments guys! This is a fun project and I would recommend it to anyone looking for that negative space for their aquarium. Soon we'll start seeing foam/rock bottoms with some extravagant designs.

I'm planning on getting the sand on it tomorrow, so I'll have another update soon. I also orders some things from marine depot earlier. So soooooon!

Sorry for the cloudy water, but there is no filtration for the tank yet. I got the sand on the wall and the wall in the tank. Not quite sure on how to get the wall to stay on the back since the tank is acrylic, would silicone still work, any ideas? Thanks!

002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

007.jpg

Hey looking good, and you drive the Lightning electric supercar?

Thanks Patrick, I really want the water to clear up. Marine depot shipping is slow :/

I wish I had an awesome electric car. My lightning is quite the contrary, it gets 10mpg. It's a ford f150 svt lightning. It does have 400rwhp though.

looking great!!! maybe epoxy a couple small magnets in side the back of the rock wall, and then u can put magnets outside the glass to hold it in place. hey, then if u ever decide to remove it, you can!

keep up the good work

out of curiousity, what product did you use to adhere your substrate to the foam wall? thank in advance...

075353300725xl.jpg

looking great!!! maybe epoxy a couple small magnets in side the back of the rock wall, and then u can put magnets outside the glass to hold it in place. hey, then if u ever decide to remove it, you can!

keep up the good work

Thanks a whole lot! That is a fantastic idea, I was browsing BRS and saw they had a couple replacement magnets and thought of it as well, but didnt really think about it lol. I might end up going that route!

keep up the good work

thats a pretty good idea. i havent thought of that

The powerhead hole might look weird there if you decided later to switch pumps, say to an mp 10 or something, lotta guys mount um' on the side of the tank and if you decide to do so, there will be this big honkin' hole in your rock wall.

just my 2 cents.

Archived