Top Shelf Aquatics

Cyano Revisited

Weetabix7

scubasteve2580
Weird. O.o I wouldn't think it was brine shrimp, no.

i dont know what it is. it is very wierd.. guess its just going to be another inhabitant of some sort. i think it is cool how everytime i look into my tank i see something new that has just appeared.. and the mroe the tank matures the wierder the discoveries get.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because I don't like to resort to biochemical means as a first resort... I'm an ecologist! :lol:

Damn Tree Hugger!!! :lol: j/k

It does make sense, which is why I included it. However, the scientist in me likes to search for the simplest solution rather than shotgunning it, so that's what I default to.

A cheers. Sorry I read that the wrong way. I am of two minds here. Like you the Engineer/Scientist in me wants the most elegant (simple) solution. However the Incident Responder (IR) in me as well as the medico in me wants to get the patient stable and ultimately cured

callmesaul8889
Ya know I dont know if this has anything to do with it...BUT. My tank has been up and runnin for over a year. Not one patch of any cayno. A bit of dinos 11 months ago, but long gone. Well WTH all the sudden I've got dino like cayno right under the pumps main return and only on the sand. WC's out the ears, no lights 4 eva, up the calc and mag ALOT. Nothing. Finally had to blast it with RSR. Boom gone. Then I look back at my tank log.

Here it comes. Every time in the fall when we first turn on the furnace I get cayno. Now is this a coincidence or not? I dunno. But this type of cayno is nothing short of a Beioch. I mean it grew in 2" strands a day. Just like dinos, but didnt go away with the absence of light.

a while back I had a cyano issue in my NW9, which I attributed to the increase in nutrients after the death of a fish. I did a few large waterchanges and left the lights off for three days, but still had cyano as if nothing changed. eventually I just ignored the tank and let it do its thing for a couple months - the only input I had was topping off. the light cycle stayed regular. the cyano ended up disappearing.

fast forward to this week. I recently transfered the contents of the NW9 to a standard 10g. I did not add or subtract anything but the tank - sand, rocks, corals all the same at that time. four days after the switch I noticed a bit of cyano on the sand; today, it's prolific. I have not added nutrients to this system in a month and a half or so. the start of the cyano predated my lighting upgrade.

I did a water change yesterday, six of ten gallons, and siphoned all the cyano out. today it's as if I didn't do anything. I have no idea what it means, and I'm just going to ride it out, but there's my bit.

pretty much the same story, except mines been up for 5 months, young, i know, yet still a pain because the first 4 months were fine. i transfered stuff from one tank to another, not adding, removing, or changing anything. started getting massive attacks of red slime, massssive, 4-10in strands within 24 hours. phosphates & nitrates were undetectable, i tried poly-ox with no luck(even though the very experienced reefer that recommend it swore by the stuff) and eventually used red slime remover.

the red slime was gone in a day, and everything has been fine for 3-4 weeks. now I'm getting nasty brown algae all over my sandbed, not my rocks, just the sand. i have 1100GPH in a 20g cube, and one of my koralias is on a timer and switches on and off every 15-30 mins, so it goes between 1100 & 700.

everything in the tank is fine and growing/feeding normally. even the xenia are pulsing like crazy. it's just a pain

I've got some of the same stuff you guys do. My cyano is a rusty color and it only grows on the sand in really small strands though. It just as relentless- if i stir up the sand alittle at night, the next morning three hours after the lights come on, its right back!

Oh yeah, funny coincidence to share with you guys:

I got home after reading this thread, my cyano was pretty much gone. Funny how sometimes it just out-competes itself. Tank still looks good like a week later. I'm still pretty stoked about it.

callmesaul8889
I've got some of the same stuff you guys do. My cyano is a rusty color and it only grows on the sand in really small strands though. It just as relentless- if i stir up the sand alittle at night, the next morning three hours after the lights come on, its right back!

^same. i'm just letting it go, hopefully it will take care of itself?

Oh yeah, funny coincidence to share with you guys:

I got home after reading this thread, my cyano was pretty much gone. Funny how sometimes it just out-competes itself. Tank still looks good like a week later. I'm still pretty stoked about it.

^lucky

I work at a certain pet store and we have it real bad in our system....

If I completely replace the substrate will that help?

It might, but it's hard to say for sure.

You'd have to be very, very careful about what you stirred up during replacement if it's an older sandbed.

Are the tanks' params solid across the board?

From my experince my problem was the sand. I had a 40b reef for just over a year, when I decided to start over because of adding overflow,drill holes and sump. I bought sand off ebay and I used the same exact LR I had in my system before full of life. My sand kept putting out PO4 like no other. PO4 was my problem. After the cyano went away which was like 3 months of it, then came dino and all hell broke loose. I trashed my 40 and started up on a 28nano after I moved. PO4 is the main problem. Leaching from my stupid sand off ebay.

I think going with really good quality LR and Live sand will help the most. I even had a fuge in my second 40 reef and could not do anything about it. The first 40 reef had no fuge no macro algae, just a hob skimmer and bunch of corals and a skimmer. Tons of worms, feather dusters, zoos and some lps. My xenia never survived.

callmesaul8889
From my experince my problem was the sand. I had a 40b reef for just over a year, when I decided to start over because of adding overflow,drill holes and sump. I bought sand off ebay and I used the same exact LR I had in my system before full of life. My sand kept putting out PO4 like no other. PO4 was my problem. After the cyano went away which was like 3 months of it, then came dino and all hell broke loose. I trashed my 40 and started up on a 28nano after I moved. PO4 is the main problem. Leaching from my stupid sand off ebay.

I think going with really good quality LR and Live sand will help the most. I even had a fuge in my second 40 reef and could not do anything about it. The first 40 reef had no fuge no macro algae, just a hob skimmer and bunch of corals and a skimmer. Tons of worms, feather dusters, zoos and some lps. My xenia never survived.

I'm guessing thats my problem as well. I have Chemi-pure Elite in the mail right now.. im hoping that works.

anyone ever have any problems with phosphates from Agra-live sand? I've used it twice, in my tank which is covered in cyano, and in my dads tank, which is fine :huh:

I'm guessing thats my problem as well. I have Chemi-pure Elite in the mail right now.. im hoping that works.

anyone ever have any problems with phosphates from Agra-live sand? I've used it twice, in my tank which is covered in cyano, and in my dads tank, which is fine :huh:

I am using that sand now with no problems, I even used it in the past with no problems.

callmesaul8889

yeah, see im pretty confused then, because it's only on my sandbed, and it's pretty nasty. would a new acrylic aquarium leech phosphates or silicates"?

Thanks to DHaut for pointing me towards this thread as I feel like I fit Weetie's bill of "more than enough flow, SPS growing like crazy, tank running for 14 months, but cyano on the sand bed."

Some incredibly informative thoughts and feedback from Fosi and others...as to be expected ;)

What I find interesting in all of this is that I've now heard of about 5 others, spread all over the country, all getting a bit of cyano at the same time. These are tanks that have been up for a while, usually have zero issues with cyano, and now all of a sudden have it. From what I've heard, it usually reaches a saturation point at which it backs off, but I'm still wondering about the root cause.

Wondering if it has something to do with the time of year, all of us running our heater like it's going out of style, etc? Just seems too much of a coincidence that mature tanks with spectacular care all of a sudden get cyano.

Hmm....I'm just planning on riding it out for the next week or so. Added some snails, going to increase to twice weekly water changes, and see how things look. SPS, Acans, and other LPS all look healthy and happy, it's just been a pain in the butt to look at.

-Adam

well I was going to do a water change today to siphon out some cyano, but this morning it had completely disappeared from my 10g. not a trace.

fascinating.

scubasteve2580

ive noticed that if i skip feeding for a day at a time that it brings the cyano to a stand still and even starts backing off. ive been adding coralamino lately and i honestly believe that it is fueling the cyano as well... im sorta disappointed that ium not seeing any effect of it yet. then again ive only been using it for a week and a half. the thing to do might be to stop the system completely on the amino and slow feedings down for a few weeks to completely relieve the system of it and then start the aino back up and leave the feedings every other day

I too have this issue in a 29 gal biocube. I tried Microbactor 7 nothing. Still there maybe even stronger. I think I am going biological on it. I am going to buy like 30 snails and hope they go to town I have seen my ceriths eat it so I think that is the route I am headed I will try to remember to post my results.

callmesaul8889

i just did a water change yesterday, siphoned a bunch of cyano off of the sandbed, and must have released some toxins or something cuz my cleaner shrimp died today :huh: xenias arent looking too good, and some of my snails are lookin pretty deadish.. not fun

Archived