inTank Media Baskets

Violinist's 20 Hex

violinist

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off to another work wine and dine, then swinging by aquacave to grab that radium. Just killed the power to the MH so it won't turn on and I can swap the bulbs out this afternoon ;)

Fire shrimp appears to have molted again.

Sent yet another pm to dude on other forum asking when he would like to take my money for the nem, still no reply.

Report from the hex fish:

Ohhh what a beautiful sunny 140000k day!

####! The sun has burned out after only an hour!

The sun is back! Yay! But look, it's now a 10000k sun!

####! The sun has burned out yet again!

Look! The sun has returned and is now a beautiful 20000k!

--

Ok, so after a little drama with getting a radium 10k instead of 20k (and seeing that every radium bulb in the inventory was 10k) I went with an Aqualine 20k. Which was a few bucks more.

But omfg it's gorgeous...

Thats cool, pics son?

I need sleep, spent five hours in the car with naught to show for it. was supposed to pick up a sun coral too but the guy flaked.

Alright here are some pics. Hopefully the little nem decides to vacate the snail shell.

Also see some hydroids on the candycanes which is an unfortunate reminder of why I shouldn't buy from this particular lfs.

fts.jpg

goby.jpg

rbta.2.jpg

new nem, size of a quarter:

rbta.jpg

So a little compare and contrast...

Nitrate on the hex was 10-15 right before the WC (I jumped the gun on the last WC and did it mid-week, so this was actually a 10 day gap between wc's). This is with the ac70 mod and a big ball of chaeto in it which does grow. So the chaeto is certainly great for pods (the thing is full of them) but not such a winner for nutrient export.

Nitrate on the long with the skimmer has never registered a positive reading. Skimmer ftw.

Pulled another piece of LR out of the hex and put it back in the long for now. Couple pieces left to remove over the next couple WC's. Managed to drop it and frag the new candy cane, yay.

I'm not liking this tank right now. I might add a couple torches if I can find some nice ones, but right now I'm almost thinking of just leaving it as it is and start thinking about a larger upgrade to replace it. Been reading and I think I can get a 50 gallon rimless in this same spot. We'll see.

Dropped a bag of chemipure elite in the ac70, hopefully that does a better job of keeping the water params in check.

I tipped the new nem's snail shell home over last night to encourage him to move. He's extended out of the shell but hasn't gone hiking yet. Hopefully he will! Btw I bought this little guy from the shop. The dude on the other board just completely flaked and never replied to more pm's after 'i will buy it'.

The big nem, hungry for more rod's food!

big.nem.jpg

The little nem, who I plan to stuff with rod's food until he has no choice but to climb out of the stupid snail shell house... He ate a little shrimp the other night. Tentacles fluoresce much more vibrantly than the large nem.

small.nem.jpg

Not sure what's going on here...

crab.snail.jpg

One of the new canes (the one I didn't drop a rock on and frag...) These are different than the ones in the long. The green fleshy bit on the long's go way down on the stalks. These are more like little green hats on the stalks.

candycane.jpg

The little leng sy frag:

green.cap.1.jpg

The big leng sy frag!

green.cap.2.jpg

This was the dull orange cap I got from one of the lfs on the way back from buying the leng sy's off the guy. It's not orange anymore but red with hints of purple.

orange.cap.jpg

Pocillipora (?) It's a bright yellow which the camera can't seem to capture for some reason.

pocilipora.jpg

The porcelain and pom pom crabs are inside the rocks, still can't get a picture of any of them.

No, not this one.

You should, at least minimally. It's easy with a smaller tank. C balance A-B and seachem magnesium does the trick for me.

Oh and check out the new macro shots. lmk what u think. :happy:

just started following your thread :) love the tank by the way! makes me wanna change my mind from m y 34gal cube to something tall :D love your scape work :) i think that nem in th snail shell is just awesome :P

learning from your thread too :ninja:

Archived