Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rimless Biocube 29

bubba17311

just added 10 new corals. 7 sps, 1 lps, 2 zoas. will post pics here in a little bit. almost done stocking just need you find a nice small clam any ideas?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wish i could do something like this but my diamond goby might not like it too much when i come home and find him on the floor... looks awesome though!

That looks sweet! I wish I could do it to my BC29, but I worry about the kids with the open tank and the fish jumping out. Really looks great, nice job!

what kind of dosing do you people do? i have been using a 2 part by brightwell and just started using reef plus by sea chem. any ideas or advice on those products?

thanks marine1 i see you are from d.c. where do you get your livestock from?

I'm actually in Rockville, Maryland. I get a lot of my stuff from Aquarium One on Rockville Pike in the Bloom shopping center (its just before downtown Rockville). They are really good people there- real helpful. The store could use a good cleaning though :P:happy: Aquarium Co. (in VA) was the best place, especially for coral. Unfortunately, I don't think they're in business anymore. Congressional Aquarium is close to me as well, but their service is horrible IMO. They don't even great you at the door; they just kind of stare at you and then continue to do nothing behind the registers. The store is clean and they have a decent selection, but overpriced. Oh yah, Blue Ribbon Koi is great, but its out of the way for me.

What about you? Where do you go?

My favorite place is The Marine Scene in Herndon, VA. They have the best and healthiest fish. A little on the high side for price but well worth it. Also have Aquatic Obsession in Manassas, Va. Kind of like the last store you mentioned. They really dont care if you by something or not and cant answer any real questions. One of my other favorite places is Pet Plus in Stafford, Va. They have great frags for good prices. I also get some stuff from Atlantic Sea Farms online. They have nice cheap frags and free shipping for MD, Va, and NC if you spend over 50 bones (which is easy to do in this hobby). I just found Blue Ribbon Koi, great guys, might just be my new go to store.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bubba. Do you have any worries about the legs to your light harming the glass (cracking and such)?How do you feel about the light overhang on the sides of the tank? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of going rimless on my biocube and I ordering a 24" T5HO fixture to go on top. Any insight would help me decide whether to go rimless or not. My other option would be to have the tank set up like this with a mesh top:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...3125&st=100

Do you think a Viper HQI 150w would be better on a rimless BC29?

Hey Bubba. Do you have any worries about the legs to your light harming the glass (cracking and such)?How do you feel about the light overhang on the sides of the tank? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of going rimless on my biocube and I ordering a 24" T5HO fixture to go on top. Any insight would help me decide whether to go rimless or not. My other option would be to have the tank set up like this with a mesh top:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...3125&st=100

Do you think a Viper HQI 150w would be better on a rimless BC29?

The legs are plastic and the fixture does not weight that much so no worry of cracking. I think on the first page of this tread i put the directions to remove the rim. The hardest part is getting the nerve to do it. I run the nova extreme and have a clam, sps, and lps. with outstanding growth. i hope this helps ask any questions i hope i can help.

• 9 months later...
The legs are plastic and the fixture does not weight that much so no worry of cracking. I think on the first page of this tread i put the directions to remove the rim. The hardest part is getting the nerve to do it. I run the nova extreme and have a clam, sps, and lps. with outstanding growth. i hope this helps ask any questions i hope i can help.

since seeing your thread i cannot stop thinking about doing that to mine,im starting to sack up,i felt for silicone along the trim on the inner side of it and i only feel silicone on the edges where it curves on the front.is there any way you could elaborate further on the way u did yours?i would really appreciate it,thx again.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I have not been here in a while. Here is an update, my tank crashed during the summer power outage so the rebuild is under way. Starting to get some coral going. Have added a ecoxotic panorama pro 18" fixture suspended over it with a one touch controller. Great light with great shimmer in the tank. If you have any questions just left me know.

post-42117-0-70355800-1360541250_thumb.jpg

post-42117-0-86759300-1360541278_thumb.jpg

post-42117-0-29244000-1360541308_thumb.jpg

Archived