Cultivated Reef

Hawaiian Biotope

twiggyb

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I decided to join since I'm going to be starting up a nano tank. My question is, has anyone done a Hawaiian biotope and do they know where to get more info on some good nano choices for a tank e.g. fish, corals, etc. I want to do this theme for the reason of wanting to put black sand for the substrate and I didn't know what origin the sand is from, someone said Hawaii has the black sands so that's why I wanted to do a Hawaiian biotope. If there is more places than this, will someone tell me more info on it and good nano choices for that region as well. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I decided to join since I'm going to be starting up a nano tank. My question is, has anyone done a Hawaiian biotope and do they know where to get more info on some good nano choices for a tank e.g. fish, corals, etc. I want to do this theme for the reason of wanting to put black sand for the substrate and I didn't know what origin the sand is from, someone said Hawaii has the black sands so that's why I wanted to do a Hawaiian biotope. If there is more places than this, will someone tell me more info on it and good nano choices for that region as well. Thanks in advance!

Black sand is commonly found at most volcanic islands. Hawaii is probably your best option for a biotope due to the relatively healthy livestock and ready availability of Hawaiian species.

Hawaiian fish and coral species:

http://www.marinelifephotography.com/

I have made a little list from that site of things I would like to get actually, I just didn't know if it would be that easy to get all that I wanted. Like the scareface blenny or the dwarf scorpionfish. Some of the corals I think I'll be able to get from my lfs, but not sure yet. Taking my time with this tank so I'm not in a rush to slap something together. I have all sorts of ideas swirling in my head!

• 7 months later...

How is the Hawaiian biotope project coming along? That's also my goal for my Biocube 29 HQI. My brother lives on Oahu, and snorkling with him last summer got me the bug to get back into the hobby.

My frustration is that many of the fish I like are not suitable for a 29 gallon tank, or are not reef compatible. And of course, corals cannot be collected from Hawaii.

Could you share your complete list of species? I'm eager for some creative ideas.

I can't even get any small local fish on island, need connection with divers!!!!!!!!!!!!! So annoying!!!!!!!!!

It's tangs, and more tangs.

Gotta get better at free diving and buy a net :(

I can't even get any small local fish on island, need connection with divers!!!!!!!!!!!!! So annoying!!!!!!!!!

It's tangs, and more tangs.

Gotta get better at free diving and buy a net :(

Are you ever on Oahu? I've been in this shop. A wholesale-only setup. http://www.coralfishhi.com/

It would be fun to get the permit and collect your own!

Archived