Cultivated Reef

29 SPS dominated...sorta

MacnReef

hey mac im using a 250 w 10k on a 30 im setting up...some have said it may be too much light, can you share your expiriences with yours? how high above the tank is the light? do your frags brown out for a while? nice lookin tank too!:)

wet...thanx! A 250 is too much if you are growing softies or just lps, but if sps are your thing, I think it is just right. I tried a 175W and you have to stay with a lower kelvin to get a good PAR so I decided to try a 250W with a 14K that way I could get better color out of the corals but still get great growth. My light is about 5-6" off of the water surface, I get very little heat and no my corals never turned brown. If anything they have all turned more colorful. All my digits are very colorful, my acros are growing great especially my millipora. With you having a 36" tank, you may have to raise your lights higher than I have mine to get full spread across your tank.

HTH, Mike!

BTW, just got my MRC Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor and it rocks!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Damn why did I tear this tank down. I went from this to a 90, then to a 180. Now I am tearing down the 180 because of the cost to run it and the maint time each day. It has become a job more than a hobby. Now I am re-setting up the 29 when I get time. But instead of the overflow box, I am drilling the tank. It will be back to what it once was in no time, I hope.

Mike

Archived